Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Iceland
  • Ambrose

Not the shop, the country.

I’ve been there quite a few times, visited many/ all? of the tourist places and a good few more besides- and the place continues to draw me back still. Any suggestions for places to visit. Family Ambrose will have 3 1/2 weeks this summer, with a 4×4 at our disposal. F roads a go-go!

billybob
    Free Member

Been once did all the tourist spots & drove along the south coast (sorta – stayed in hostels) would love to go back & explore the east & north, follow the ring road. Very jealous of your opportunity to explore the f roads, they were very much a no go area in the 206 I hired!

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted to drive up there /take my Landy, but have always been rather concerned that it’s reportedly very expensive – is that still the case ?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

northwest fjords region is incedible, ime. with a 4×4 you’ve gotta go through the interior too – kjoller and the other one. when i was there patrol vehicles regularly drove them to pick up anyone who got stuck…

Ambrose

We drove! there a few years ago, in a Mondeo estate, from Carmarthen. Day 1, Home to Hadrian’s Wall. Day 2, Hadrian’s Wall touristy stuff, to Aberdeen. Day 3 Ferry to Lerwick, Shetland. Day 4-6 Shetland, including Mousa Broch- incredible! Day 6-8 Ferry to Seydisfjordur, via Thorshafn, Faeroes, DK. Day 8, Landed Seydisfjordur, Iceland. South Coast route to Hofn. Day 9- 12 Skaftafell National park. Day 13, collect brother from Kirkujarbaerklosters! near Vik. We now have 3 adults and two kids in the car, plus a roof box, four mountainbikes and a tag along! Car is felling OK though. Day 14- 17, visiting friends in Reykjavik, plus day trips to Golden Circle destinations- Geysir, Pingvellir etc. Day 18- Drive north to Blonduos, then a two day cycle into to interior to Hveravellir hot springs and then onto Hvitarnes.

Later on we drove to Myvatn, via Akureyri, went whale watching (twice!) from Husavik and somehow got brother John back onto a bus to Reykjavik and then to fly home. In the meantime I almost lost it driving a tad fast on the dirt road when I hit a sheep one night.

Then on to Jokulsargljufur national park for a few days- The Northern lights are amazing!

Two day drive from there via the northernmost point (not quite in the Arctic Circle) to Seydisfjordur, to visit possibly the best bar in the country If only I could remember its name. Just some bloke’s converted house. We went in, got beer, sat down, it was magical.

Then last days, on the ferries via Faeroes to Shetland and the Aberdeen. Landed at 8:00 hrs, lunch in Parbold, home for tea. The sleeeeeeeeeep.

Damage to car after a month of silliness was new front bumper; new front suspension bushes a new set of tyres! And in all reality it really needed a respray. However, we sold it when it was raining- result 🙂

Have also crossed the island by bike and 4X4 a few times.

BTW, the F35 (Kjolur) is now possible in a car. Care needs to be taken in a couple of places but you should be fine. No major fords or nasty surfaces to be dealt with. Rock and Roll!

Pook

What should someone considering visiting for the first time think about

toby1

Sounds like the consensus is it’s a great place – I’m really interested in going there in October to see the Northern lights, but I too am concerned about the costs of eating/drinking over there for a week with my wife – so anyone with an opinion on just how bad it is?

I’m thinking 2/3 days in Reykjavik followed by a trip up North to a hotel somewhere where we can go light watching? So meals out for lunch and dinner most nights and accommodation plus a few drinks?

Any estimates on costs?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m off there in June 🙂

thebunk

Got back a few weeks ago – absolutely amazing, stunning place!

Tours and beer are expensive – already want to go back though. Snowmobiling on a glacier in a whiteout was scary:

Don’t miss going to the Blue Lagoon – sitting in 40c water whilst in a blizzard is very strange and beautiful:

TOP TIP: Don’t trust the Google exchange rate, it is about half of the actual rate!

[Edit-Ambrose, that sounds absolutely amazing. Would love to do that]

Ambrose

London prices for beer and accommodation! but if you ask around a lot in villages etc you can get rooms in some people’s homes. Or camp. And use the FI huts, pre-booking reccommended.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Went a couple of years ago, amazing place and prices were not so bad. Not expensive or cheap, just suppose what you pay at home for stuff! Not helpful I expect but the place gets my vote!

snowpaul
    Free Member

i have cycled toured there for 2 summers = awesome country

go visit – its not that expensive and pretty girls!

paul

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I went last year for the wife’s 40th, no holds barred money wise & I was surprised it was only the price I would pay here (south/London).
    The Blue lagoon was well worth a visit as it was stunning, but the best bit for me was the 4×4 trip for a day, quite expensive but well worth it, especially for the local knowledge & the fact that if you did it in your own 4×4 the repair bill would cost more…

PS, Don’t bank on the northern lights, we chased them all night & all we got to see was a green hue 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

For all of you interested, BBC4 has an Iceland season starting this weekend with films & documentaries from there. Check it out. This thread has certainly piqued my interest in visiting.

Ambrose

Hornstrandir looks amazing.
    Now also looking at a multi-day walk into Porsmork, close to recent sub-glacial volcanic activity. Hubba and indeed bubba!!!

tonyplym
    Free Member

Ambrose, have you thought about perhaps trying Norway instead of Iceland – just for a change ?

richardoftod

I did the Ring road in 2008 in my VW Campervan, took the bikes as well and rode some of the F Grade 4×4 only roads. Not as expensive as you think, we were paying about 112p/L for Diesel, and at home it was about 130p/L in Scotland at the time. Like anywhere else, buy your food in the Supermarkets and its faily reasonable. Fresh stuff is expensive (fruit & veg) and generally not that “fresh” all imported. If you get hot under the collar about food miles, don’t read the labels food imported from USA on West coast, even some from Australia.

The South Coast was the best in my opinion and the North is nice for activities such as Whale Watching at Husivik (which is also home to the Penis Museum..every mammals penis..and 2 American men on the waiting list when they die..one has a plaster cast on show already!)

Will definately go back again soon, we sailed on Symril Line Ferry from Scrabster, Scotland (£1000 return with Cabin and VW Camper) which included 1/2 day in Bergen, Norway and 3 Nights on the Faroe Islands on the way back (which are also worth visiting).

I have heard it is cheaper at the moment since the economy went belly up.

Ambrose

Tony- you know me, keeping me away from the place is like keeping you out of Asia. You know that it can be delayed, but not for too long.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Iceland’ is closed to new replies.