Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • ICE Lift V8 seatpost
  • DaveE

Are they any good.

DaveE

Nobody got one of these then.

iain1775
    Free Member

Is it not basically a gravity dropper? Certinatly looks like one from the review (I didn’t read) in this months mbr

dantsw13

Dave, after the review in mbr this month (got 9/10) I’ve just bought one from purebike.fr for £87 delivered!!

It is basically a gravity dropper, with better cable routing.

Mine comes tomorrow, but sadly my bike is going back under warranty, so I cant fit and ride it just yet.

jam-bo

Just bought one from probikeshop. £90 ish

Should be here in time for Tuesdays nightride

mattbee

Tweaked version of the Forca/Traildrop but with an extra drop position. Have a Traildrop version purchased earlier this year that is still working well. Bit basic but if you’ve got a 27.2 post its one of very few options.

jam-bo

Bit basic but if you’ve got a 27.2 post its one of very few options.

so’s the gravity dropper and they want £250 for that!!!

r53sport
    Free Member

We are the UK distributor for the ICE seatpost. Just to make you aware, if you do buy these outside of the UK you will not have any warranty support from us. If the seatpost is purchased in the UK you will have full warranty support from us.

The seatpost has been very reliable for the last 6 months that I have been using it. All that I have done is replace the cable as it was feeling a bit rough. The seat post is well sealed and very easily maintained. It is so simple and can be fully stripped down and serviced in around 10 minutes.

The seatpost is £120.00rrp. Not alot more than all of the shops outside of the UK. For that extra money you get UK support and warranty cover and you’ll be supporting the UK bike trade. Keep buying abroad and all of the bike shops over here will be gone, where will you go then for that odd little bolt or the last minute inner tube or maybe just that disc spacer that you can’t find anywhere else.

Think about the man sat in the shop trying to make a living and giving out advice for free. Then again if your local shop is rubbish, support another UK shop and stop buying from abroad for a small saving.

Anyhoo, rant over. If you fancy an ICE seatpost or anything else we can help you with, feel free to get in touch. http://www.r53sport.com. 😀 8)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

be more competitively priced then

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Out of interest r53sport, do you get your shopping from a supermarket for a ‘small’ saving, or support your local grocer, butcher etc?

mattbee

£90 versus £120? 25% cheaper is not a small amount is it? I know your version has some improvements over the Traildropper but when I got mine for £70ish I was happy at that price but I think that is all it is worth, I didn’t get a bargain rather I paid the right sort of price.
    Are your tweaks worth double the money?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The seatpost is £120.00rrp. Not alot more than all of the shops outside of the UK

ICE V8 is E100 (about £80) at probikeshop.fr. So that’s 50% more.

http://www.probikeshop.fr/ice-tige-de-selle-lift-v8-telescopique-commande-au-guidon-noir-rouge/79614.html

Keep buying abroad and all of the bike shops over here will be gone

Hollow argument. Bike shops dont compete with foreign mail order traders, they compete with mail order traders. CRC, Wiggle and Merlin take far more business than the French and German sites, and viable LBS’s have had to compete against them for 20 years.

If your’e so pro UK business and anti-foreign, why are you importing an item manufactured in the far east and marketed by a French company? keep doing that and one day all the manufacturers and brands over here will be gone…

monkeyboyjc

sshhhhheeeeeeeessshhhh – give r53sport a break, they import them, provide uk warrenty and back up, let uk shops sell them and provide a good product.
    Ok so it costs £40 more than on some foreign sites – you could say that most pretty much 50-90% of mtb products. If youre happy buying in Europe, Asia then carry on – if not R53sport offer the alternative.

wwaswas

Tbh, dropper posts at their current state of development is something I’d want a uk backup on and would be prepared to pay a premium to get.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Have a GD at the moment and happy to try one of these for £120. Looked at the website but couldn’t see where I could actually buy one here. However it is early and I have a bit of a hangover and so forgive me if I am being a bit stupid.

r53sport
    Free Member

Thanks Monkey boy. Atleast someone has an idea.

Kenneth the curtain, yes I actually do and that is also a ridiculous and irrelevant argument. If I was going to France each weekend to buy food from the Supermarche to save a few quid then you would have a point.

Mattbee, double what you paid would be £140.00 ours are £120.00. But let’s not discuss poor mathematics. I believe ours is worth more, it’s up to you to decide how much more…. It is the cheapest dropper post on the UK market and has been selling very well. I don’t imagine I’ll ever get your business so I’ll leave you to it.

Crashtest monkey. I am not anti-foreign. All of our brands are foreign. I am however pro supporting your LBS. Having worked in several LBS and for CRC I know both sides. The LBS needs to offer more than just price matching CRC. Two of those things are service and warranty support. All of the UK manufacturers are well supported in the UK. If you can name a good one that needs support then let me know, maybe we will help them too.

Bike shops have to compete with anyone that sells a product that is available in the UK and Europe otherwise people wouldn’t be buying from Europe.

Crashtestmonkey: So if everyone buys in Europe and the UK shops sell nothing, they will have no customers and will be gone. Times are tight for bike shops. They don’t make massive margins and contrary to popular belief a lot of them are not raking it in. I guess if any of you do go to your local independent bike shop you’ll ask for discount? Do you do that when you buy fuel, do you do that when you go to Tesco, do you do that when you get your hair cut? I didn’t think so.

All I’m trying to say is, support the local bike shops or they will close down. Okay maybe not all of them, but the less choice, the less competition. Then the price will go up and the service will most likely go down.

R53 Sport are here to help and we offer a friendly service. Use us (or your local shop) or don’t. You’ll all do what you want anyway. Now get out and ride and have fun.

r53sport
    Free Member

Edoverheels. We are a distributor so we sell to shops. Drop me a mail on c.groves@r53sport.com and I’ll get you sorted.

wwaswas: There’s a good bit of thinking. You are right to think this too.

jam-bo

So far my dealings with probikeshop have been smooth and easy. If there’s a warranty issue it won’t cost me much more to return it to them.

In a common market with no import/export duties I’m not sure how you justify a 50% price hike…

r53sport
    Free Member

Te retail price in Euros is E117.00 If they are discounting it to E99.90 then that istheir choice. Plus they charge E9.99 postage that is around E127.00. Equal to around £100.00.

For £20.00 more you have it next day and with UK warranty.

Anyway, I’m done with this. I have made my point. Feel free to get in touch if you would like to buy or know where to buy an ICE seatpost in the UK.

Enjoy your weekend.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Will be getting in touch. Will try and arrange for Father Christmas to get one for me.

cb

r53sport

You points are valid – you should have stopped there. Arguing in such a lofty manner is most unappealing to the average potential buyer. I’m having Superstar flashbacks…before he went completely doo lally.

dantsw13

I understand the discounting issue, but why is a British warrantied post £20 more than a Euro one? That’s a 20% hike!!

mattbee

That wasn’t my maths BTW, I said 25% less from BigMassiveDevelopments. Also UK based, stock spares & offer warranty support. Still, yours is an ‘improved’ version I suppose and the extra drop position would probably be useful. As I said in my first post, it is another option in a small 27.2 market and if it works as well as the earlier/different named ones is a viable option. The crusades finished quite a while ago mind you. X

r53sport
    Free Member

Edoverheels, I’m sure Santa will sort you out. I look forward to you getting in touch.

cb, thanks.

robmanns2000
    Free Member
    jam-bo

Just been for first ride out with mine.

But clunky but ok once you get used to it. Used the 75mm drop the most.

vorlich
    Free Member

Jam bo, is the cable routing on yours like this?

It looks a bit fragile, I’ve seen other photos which show a 90deg angle so the cable exits downward, which looks more robust.

jam-bo

No, that’s the original. The V8 turns through 90deg.

vorlich
    Free Member

Ah ok, cheers.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

robmanns2000; top spot, looks like the latest V8 with boot and 90 degree cable, just added to Santa’s list 🙂

r53sport
    Free Member

Similar but not exactly the same…..

No supplied shim.
    Cable clamp collar is not machined out.
    Old style cable assembly which is clamped at the plunger end not the lever end which is a pain in the arse.
    Uses a thinner cable not a gear cable so difficult to get spares.

It’s like a model that’s inbetween the V8 mk1 and mk2. 😀

prom
    Free Member

These are on ebay at around £70, 425mm long (so longer than ICE) with 110mm/55mm drop vs 90/45mm on the ICE and a 31.6 diameter without shim, but looks identical in most respects:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-New-TMARS-Adjustable-Seatpost-Seat-Post-31-6X425mm-/140870291491?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cc861023

trickydisco
    Free Member

These are on ebay at around £70, 425mm long (so longer than ICE) with 110mm/55mm drop vs 90/45mm on the ICE and a 31.6 diameter without shim, but looks identical in most respects:

How do you know it’s 110mm? I don’t see that in the description?

trickydisco
    Free Member

So is there an updated version of this that r53 isn’t stocking?

i.e the one with 110mm drop (TMARS one in the ebay ad )instead of 90mm

trickydisco
    Free Member

So anyone got the new version?

dantsw13

I’m not convinced it is a materially different version, the TMARS one. The advert doesnt state any where a drop figure. I also think the 31.6 version requires a shim.

trickydisco
    Free Member

It says span : 110mm

trickydisco
    Free Member
    dantsw13

WHat does span mean though? The space between the top of the collar and the bottom of the seat clamp? Who Knows!!

I would just be surprised if an otherwise completely identical seatpost magically came with an extra 20mm drop.

Maybe its equivalent to “1600 lumens” in chinese speak!!! 😈

dantsw13

That review is for a KS Lookalike post, not the ICE V8

Dont get me wrong, I hope it is a 110 drop, I may even get one, I’d just be surprised thats all

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘ICE Lift V8 seatpost’ is closed to new replies.