Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ian Vincent(Climber)
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

Sad news, just heard through a frind he has sadly died whilst Mountain Biking in France. I havent seen him for years, since days spent on The Catwalk. Nice guy apparently from a stroke.
    I remember a post a while back asking what had happened to him

scaredypants

deleted – speculative guess at a stw member

still 🙁 though

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Rode with him in the Alps a few years back. Nice guy and awful news 🙁

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Top climber in his day, never biked with him but I guess it was something he would be good at.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

He was a good rider. Fit and committed XC rider who could also hit the DH courses hard. Very sad. Sympathies to his family 🙁

stever
    Free Member

Just seen this on UKC. What desperately sad news. Absolutely top class climber and always helpful on here of any new people after advice.

natrix
    Free Member

Very pleasant chap, bought a childs climbing harness off him last month.

As above sympathies to his family………

jamj1974

Terrible shame.

Cougar

deleted – speculative guess at a stw member

No, that’s someone else. I did a double-take to check that wasn’t a typo though.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I think he posted under a simple pseudonym, Name and initial. IanV
    If not apologies to the other IanV,

GrahamS

Not ianv who showed up on this climbing thread?
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/climbing-technique-and-theory-for-a-noob/page/2

Last seen on here a week ago saying he was riding:

“Ille sur Tet (near Perpignan), it was sunny and the trails were dry”

Sad loss 🙁

Cougar

IanV is not Ian Vincent. Trust me on this.

GrahamS

You sure Cougar? Seems like a lot of coincidences if he’s not. Both called Ian Vincent, both mountain bikers and climbers, both riding in France.

piemonster

Sympathies to his friends and family. 🙁

Cougar

Both called Ian Vincent

No they aren’t.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Wrong of me to assume, from all his knowledge on climbing I always thought ianv was Ian Vincent

GrahamS

No they aren’t.

From that climbing thread above:

stever:
    I used to see that Ian Vincent at Oldham wall, whatever happened to him?

peterfile:
    A penny may have just dropped somewhere in my head. ianv, i did think you seemed to know quite a bit about climbing

ianv:

Pop out to Tesco and it all kicks off

> whatever happened to him?

Shagged shoulders. I started climbing again a few years ago but ironically every time I start going OK, I nail myself on the bike 🙁

Maybe I’m misreading that, but I took that to be ianv fessing up that he was Ian Vincent?

If your mod-knowledge says otherwise Cougar then fair enough.

Either way, sorry to hear of his demise and I wish his family well.
    The sheer suddenness of strokes is quite cruel.

martinhutch

RIP Ian. Great athlete, sad loss.

natrix
    Free Member

Both called Ian Vincent

No they aren’t.

I contacted IanV last month, his full name is Ian Vincent.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ian Vincent posts on UK Bouldering as ianv, the ianv on here lives in the aire valley which is where Ian Vincent lived. It’s the same person IMO. Very sad, I live nearby and knew of him by name from the local guidebooks and talk.

Cougar

Mia culpa. You’re right.

Sorry guys, I should’ve double checked. I had it in my head that our IanV was Ian Vickers, I thought I “knew” that but I must have just assumed that at some point in the distant past.

Wow, that’s embarrassing. Sorry.

stever
    Free Member

Don’t worry Cougar, it’d be better if it wasn’t him (I probably confused things mentioning Oldham). Both Ians were at the absolute top of their game at the same time. Ian Vickers does a lot of route setting for various walls. I didn’t know our IanV but almost felt I did.

Some really nice tributes from people that knew him: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,23577.0.html

peterfile
    Free Member

Aw no 🙁

When I saw this thread I really hoped it wasn’t ianv from here, but then remembered that conversation we had about Ian Vincent on a climbing thread a while back.

Awful news.

AlexSimon

Blimey – that quote Graham found above gives a bit of pause.
    Very sad
    Rest in Peace

GrahamS

Somehow I think “it was sunny and the trails were dry” is a rather fitting epitaph.

ocrider

🙁

The guy also had a encyclopaedic knowledge of every bikepark in France and a mutual liking for my favourite part of the Pyrennees.
    All my sympathies to his family.

natrix
    Free Member

Thanks for clarifying things Cougar

GrahamS

stuartb has posted on UKBouldering saying:

Hi

I am helping Ian’s family organise the funeral and will post details of when it is happening. I know that the family hopes that some of his climbing and biking friends make it as this was such an important part of his life.

I am also writing the speech for the funeral so any contributions are welcome…

Regards
    Stuart

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Remember one of his routes at Malham, free’n even easier did enjoy it, thanks.
    Never saw him ride but no slouch on a bike.

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/281317/[/video]

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Dales Rider, I think he MTB’d with Steve Rhodes (also well known local climber of 80’s Malham Cove bolting fame and many other 1st ascents). As an aside, Steve is one of the original trail builders at Stainburn and still turns up to dig days from time to time.

khani
    Free Member

He bought my bongo, I went to his house did the deal in five minutes, then drank tea and waffled about bikes for ages,
    He was a decent bloke.
    RIP 🙁

soobalias
    Free Member

“it was sunny and the trails were dry”

Happy Trails Man.
    RIP

stever
    Free Member

Nice gesture over on the other channel GrahamS. For anyone interested there’s a beautiful tribute from Mick Ward here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=576730

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ian Vincent(Climber)’ is closed to new replies.