Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • climbing technique and theory for a noob
  • Yak

This is heading into the trail centre debate isn’t it?

eh?
    trail centres = indoor walls and sport climbing?
    Proper riding with beards n’ maps = trad climbing?

Nah- we’re over all that surely.

😉

peterfile
    Free Member

I used to see that Ian Vincent at Oldham wall, whatever happened to him?

A penny may have just dropped somewhere in my head. ianv, i did think you seemed to know quite a bit about climbing 🙂

martinhutch

I used to see that Ian Vincent at Oldham wall, whatever happened to him?

I’ve got a coffee table book with him in somewhere.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Yak

Power of Climbing?

mark90
    Free Member

Hustler

GrahamS

Googles “Ian Vincent”, finds this on a UK Bouldering thread:

“Ian Vincent – turned into a techno-raver and we did lots of clubbing together. Last I heard he was big into mountain biking and still living near Bradford but not heard from him for ages – if you read this Ian, get in touch….”

Rumbled iainv 😀

Deveron53
    Free Member

I am (was) a ’29er’ climber! being 6foot3 with chimp arms I was able to reach over the top of many a crux! Leverage was bad on overhanging stuff though. I preferred to solo on gritstone up to about 30ft (singlespeeder?).

martinhutch

By those measures, I’m a fatbike in urgent need of a full service.

GrahamS

By those measures, I’m:

Yak

haha.

old knackered 26er. Might work again one day!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

in that case I’m a penny farthing rusting in the barn.

ianv
    Free Member

Pop out to Tesco and it all kicks off 🙂

whatever happened to him?

Shagged shoulders. I started climbing again a few years ago but ironically every time I start going OK, I nail myself on the bike 🙁

stever
    Free Member

Just to bring it all back to the OP, I’m not much of a learner but you might find some of this stuff interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQPyhKEQDs

stever
    Free Member

Shagged shoulders. I started climbing again a few years ago but ironically every time I start going OK, I nail myself on the bike

I bet your rubbish is a lot better than most people’s rubbish… shagged fingers in my case, got to 40 and found I had a genetic joint condition giving random pains all over. Got into fell running, biked more, kids. Periodic comebacks all the flippin time. Miss it like crazy and still somehow hoping I’ll be one half of those terrifyingly efficient 50/60-something partnerships that just get loads done. Two swollen knuckle joints as I type 🙂

Yak

I bet your rubbish is a lot better than most people’s rubbish

– better than my best I’d wager!

Anyway, I’m attempting a comeback now too. A few sessions at the wall and I realised I missed it so keen to get out to the crag at some point. At this stage i’m fairly certain i’ll never get back the standard of my younger self, but if I can get enough in the tank to go out and climb nice classic routes in some great locations, then I’ll be more than happy. Might start a list now.

timb34
    Free Member

At this stage i’m fairly certain i’ll never get back the standard of my younger self

I wouldn’t be so sure of that (unless you were a particularly talented youth). I’m over 40 now and having a bit of a resurgence – turns out that pretty much everything that I thought was good training 20 years ago was probably actually doing more harm than good!

Read up on some of the recent training and injury avoidance info from Dave Mac and others, have a skim through the UKB training forum ( http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/board,4.0.html ) and before you know it you’ll be climbing like your younger self, except without being permanantly overtrained and injured.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘climbing technique and theory for a noob’ is closed to new replies.