Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • I would like to move to Cornwall…
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I still want to move to Cornwall 🙂

What's the allotment scene like?

rkk01
    Free Member

I still want to move to Cornwall

Monsoon season has started now

Big-Dave
    Free Member

What's the allotment scene like?

Strangely enough I know a few people in Devon with allotments and I think the whole grown your own scene is pretty big. I just shop at Morrisons. Much easier.

mefty
    Free Member

Allotments can give you a very good harvest, plus there are plenty of fishing opportunities in Cornwall.

Ambrose

Do you get your own little patch of sea?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

[/quote]Do you get your own little patch of sea?

When it is very windy yes. Usually all over your house, car and garden if you live too close to the coast.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mr Nutt – we live on an ex working nursery should you need a plot. 5 acres of fertile land.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Nice!

Hammo
    Free Member

So where is the good riding?

crispybacon
    Free Member

So where is the good riding?

most of it stops at Devon on the way down to Cornwall 😉

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

there's a nice piece that sums up cornwall well on the surfnation blog by mick jardine, 'cornwall through australian eyes'.

http://www.surfnation.co.uk/2009/06/index.html

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The good riding is concentrated on the middle of the County nr Bissoe/Poldice Valley but loads of other good areas too.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

As Surf-mat,Poldice has some good riding but there are plenty of other places,Carn brea,Carn marth,Rosewall,The clif paths."The track" There are also a few local woodlands that have good rides through them,I quite like Tehidy and Treslothan and Pendarves + loads of Bridleways

nmdbase
    Free Member

I will ASAP, just got to find me a house.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Light the beacons, I'll be down that way come Monday, want me to pick up some property details for you? What's your price range? Let or buy? (I'll be looking at them any way)

MrNutt
    Free Member

Light the beacons, I'll be down that way come Monday, want me to pick up some property details for you? What's your price range? Let or buy? (I'll be looking at them any way)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

nmd – some genuine bargains to be had at the moment down here.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

nmd – some genuine bargains to be had at the moment down here.

Yeah – my bro' is just about to move from a 4 bed semi in Harrogate (sold for £250k) to a 4 bed townhouse in Truro for £250k

And he was looking to move to improve quality of life and reduce his mortgage.

So he now has a bigger mortgage (no savings to pay for move costs so extended mortgage by £10k) and will have 8 months of cowering indoors to avoid the rains….

But he never thinks things through.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Does it not rain in Harrogate then?! It's lovely down here out of season and Truro has plenty going on for cold, wet days. Not so clever on the mortgage though…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does it not rain in Harrogate then?!

October average rainfall…
    92mm in Cornwall
    73mm in North Yorkshire

😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

About 20% more – so hardly noticeable to 99% of people.

Mind you Harrogate is actually quite nice.

maxray
    Free Member

Is surf mat the defender of cornwall?

Is your PR company serving clients in Cornwall or elsewhere?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

my bro' is just about to move from a 4 bed semi in Harrogate (sold for £250k) to a 4 bed townhouse in Truro for £250k

Because the Westcountry needs another **** from That London.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Harrogate isn't in London…

Max – relevance? I just like it here. Yes we have clients in the county.

loddrik
    Free Member

My family has had a cottage in Carbis Bay for nearly 50 years and I lived down there on and off. Nott much work down there and houses are expensive if you want to live near the coast. I think you'd have to be pretty commited to live in St Just as it is pretty remote and feels it, pretty barren too as cornwall jas a lot less trees than most counties. Somewhere like Hayle might be a better bet. It's a great place to bring up young children but absolutely awful for teenagers, I have first hand experience! I have mulled over going down there permanently with the wife for the kids sake but there are less jobs there than here in Liverpool and it is a pain in the arse to get back to 'civilisation' as from the cottage it's nearly 2 hours to Bristol let alone Liverpool!

iDave
    Free Member

20% more of anything if a fairly noticeable quantity!

I would think Harrogate has a shit load more things to do when it's raining than Truro

iDave
    Free Member

civilisation and liverpool in the same sentence. how quaint.

loddrik
    Free Member

Wow, I nearly fell of my chair at that one… 🙄

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We'd better all move to Harrogate then.

All those lovely beaches, all those estuaries to boat around in, all that surf…

It is actually possible to do everything outdoors in the rain – except sunbathe. In fact for surf it's better in the rain as the crowds bu66er off.

However I'd rather people stayed away TBH 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

About 20% more – so hardly noticeable to 99% of people.

Well not in Cornwall in winter – they are all cowering indoors away from the floods.

😉

I would think Harrogate has a shit load more things to do when it's raining than Truro

Err……

But seriously – I love Harrogate and I love Cornwall. But I was surprised that my bro' spent the same money on a similar house in one of the least appealing towns in Cornwall against a town regularly in the UK's top ten most popular places.

(He did reduce the price by £50k for a quick sale though TBF).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

One of the least appealing towns (actually it's a city) in Cornwall?

MF – you are actually talking BS this time.

Truro is a thriving little place full of decent shops, nice buildings and in on a river. It's also fairly affluent. It's one of Cornwall's best "towns" I'd say having lived in the county for a very long time. It has great roads links and a mainline station too – rare around these parts.

You must have it confused with somewhere like Redruth or Camborne? Or maybe St Austell? Compared to these, Truro is like Chelsea.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But it isn't by the sea.

What on earth is the point of living on the arse end of the country if you still can't look out of your window and see the sea?

Compared to these, Truro is like Chelsea.

Compared to Chelsea, Truro is like… (even compared to Harrogate, Truro is like….)

😉

(Matt – lighten up, I am only pulling your leg (mostly)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

From much of Truro, you can see a river which leads to the sea…

And the sea is max 20 mins from anywhere in the county. Very nice on a sunny day before/after work. One thing it's very bad for is flying anywhere.

BTW I don't live IN Truro, just near it.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Never been there in tourist season, how bad is it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My brother is moving from a place an hour from the sea (Whitby/Scarborough/Robin Hood's Bay etc), 30 minutes from the NY Moors and Yorkshire Dales, overlooking the Nidd Gorge with miles of beautiful walking.

To somewhere near Truro college within walking distance of Homebase (which he sees as a benefit)!

nmdbase
    Free Member

Much call for a mobile bike repair business do you think?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

nmd – a mate is already running one in the Trurp area and is completely stacked with work. Well worth contacting him – he's on paternity leave for a bit but happy to pass on his details. But if outside the Truro area, loads of opps I reckon too.

The bike shops down here have big waiting lists and are often pantaloons at high end repairs (or even basic ones).

MF – oh bu66er – that is the WORST part of Truro! Is he a doctor by any chance?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – oh bu66er – that is the WORST part of Truro! Is he a doctor by any chance?

No – just doing something rash and without thinking it though because his wife suddenly decided it would be a good idea!

tiger_roach
    Free Member

So where would be a good place to get a holiday home in Cornwall? Nice beach, village feel, perhaps a harbour…?! That'll cost a fair bit right?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tiger – a fair few options. In desending order of budget with all/most of those options:

Rock
    St Mawes
    Port Isaac
    Flushing/Mylor
    St Agnes
    Cadgewith
    Mousehole
    Sennen

And a fair few others!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘I would like to move to Cornwall…’ is closed to new replies.