Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I want a hamster…
  • becky_kirk43
    Free Member

OK, so as a student I spend roughly 6 months of the year in my student house, and the other 6 at home.

In our student house we are currently hamster sitting, have been for a little while now. This instantly made me realise how much I miss having one (I’ve had hamsters, gerbils, rats and mice at home!), and just how much I generally miss having a pet around as we still have dogs at home.

So I decided I want a hamster, so here comes the problem…my mum does not want me to keep a hamster at home (probably because I was quite a bit younger when we had rodents previously so I may have neglected my cleaning out duties and left it to her). I’ve spent the last few weeks trying to convince her, even suggesting that it would make a very good (and cheap) birthday present to let me have one. But I haven’t got anywhere.

The more time I spend with our temporarily adopted hamster the more I want one…so singletrack…some advice on persuasive techniques? 😛

(I have considered just getting one and dealing with the consequences, but decided against it, also thought about getting one and leaving it in the care of my housemates while I’m at home but that’s not fair on them, and I expect I’ll miss it anyway!)

5thElefant
    Free Member

Nintendo dogs?

scaredypants

have a baby – they’re all the rage

mushrooms
    Free Member

Did you not find that rats make better pets?

z1ppy

That a great point, give her the option, grand-daughter or Hamster…

Hey mum feeling bit bored at uni, thought I might have a…

😈

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member
    Nintendo dogs?

not quite the same 😛

scaredypants – Member

that’s a good one…maybe I’ll threaten my mum with “If I can’t have a hamster I’ll have a baby instead” and see which she prefers…

mushrooms – Member
    Did you not find that rats make better pets?

yes I did, and I would love to have rats again at some point, but I think a hamster is more practical at the moment as they take up a bit less room, and don’t have a big tail which my mum doesn’t like!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t get a hamster – they don’t live long enough. I still haven’t got over my hamster’s death when I was about 8. That and Bambi’s mother’s death.

epicyclo

Get a snake.

They recycle old hamsters.

speckledbob
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqWlOpebw5o[/video]

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Apparently forgetting how old I am and going for the “can I have a hamster? can I have a hamster? can I have a hamster? can I have a hamster? can I have a hamster? can I have a hamster? can I have a hamster?” method seems to be the way forward!

The response was “Get a bloody hamster then!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Cougar

Cougar’s Fifth Law Of IT states “it’s easier to obtain forgiveness than permission.”

Get a hamster, then deal with the consequences.

molgrips
    Free Member

and leaving it in the care of my housemates while I’m at home but that’s not fair on them

Hang on – it’s not fair to force your housemates to look after a pet, but it IS okay to force your Mum to do it?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    and leaving it in the care of my housemates while I’m at home but that’s not fair on them
    Hang on – it’s not fair to force your housemates to look after a pet, but it IS okay to force your Mum to do it?

my mum won’t have to look after it at any point, it’ll be in whichever house I’m in, its just that my mum doesn’t want it in the house!

Cougar – Member
    Cougar’s Fifth Law Of IT states “it’s easier to obtain forgiveness than permission.”

Get a hamster, then deal with the consequences.

very tempted to go down that route!

LeeW

🙁

I pulled this face when I wanted a Hamster 28 years ago, I’m still pulling it now as I never got one.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Aw 🙁 one day you can have a hamster Lee!

I’ve cleared a space for the cage and am going to the pet shop tomorrow, its a couple of weeks until I’m going home again so hopefully will have actually convinced parents by then!

Pictures tomorrow maybe 😛

cranberry
    Free Member

1. Find horribly unsuitable young man
    2. Introduce said to mother
    3. Mention broodiness and how you want a little life in your life
    4. Wait for mother to suggest hamster

molgrips
    Free Member

OIC

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

My mum didn’t seem *too* bad about it when I told her…

Here’s “little” Ned

One of the hamsters in the shop was the hairiest rodent I have ever seen, would have taken some serious grooming! Thankfully this one is a bit fluffy, but definitely not that fluffy!

I’m supposed to be revising for an exam tomorrow…you know its not going to happen now…

philconsequence
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

hehehe excellent, remember… they don’t like lemonade.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m so glad mine has left home. And I don’t mean hamster.

Hairychested
    Free Member

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

That hamster was much better before he had a mid life crisis!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like hamsters and approve of this thread.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Awwwwww, Ned is cool 😀

emsz
    Free Member

Sooooooo cute

*wants hamster*

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ned looks a well nasty fecker – look at those evil beady black eyes….they’re far too close together. And he’s a fat git too. I’d take him back to the shop and swap him for something a little more pleasant.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

shopping list…

1. six of the smoothest hamsters
    2. 3m of hamster tubing
    3. 1 pot of assos chamoix cream
    4. Will Young CD

and away you go.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I want a hamster…’ is closed to new replies.