Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • I want a 26" Orange 5 – am I mad??
  • velocipede
    Free Member

I have a desire to “go back” to 26″….and particularly a 5….I’ve never owned one but always wanted one. Now that 26″ bargains abound….what’s the downsides?

Surely there aren’t any?

Prove me wrong peeps…….before I commit some £’s 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

Why not, 650b didn’t make 26 bad and there’s still endless bits for them and fashion has made them nicely affordable,

stevedoc
    Free Member

People will look down on you you riding something made from metal rather than unicorn tears. Other than that no nothing wrong with riding a five …nothing at all .. Loved mine .search orange riders facebook .. 🙂

Phil_H

Nope.
    I’m still riding my 26″five.
    It’s still fun to ride despite the “wrong” wheel size.

mm93
    Free Member

You need to talk to roverpig,have a look at his “which bike to sell” thread on the next page.

igm

Managed to get (I think literally) the last of the 26″ Alpine 160s.

Was well worth it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

still a great bike
    bette downhill than uphill IME but they are a bargain

It did not become shit when 650b wheels became marginally larger.

prawny

Do it, i would definitely. Although round my way I’d need to upgrade my garage security.

igm

igm – Member
    Managed to get (I think literally) the last of the 26″ Alpine 160s.

Was well worth it.

For my wife I might add. My Alpine is from 2011

robhughes
    Free Member

No Not mad.Mine’s ace.
    Custom build mind and a hoot to ride.

nwill1
    Free Member

Love mine…great bike. Given what they’re currently selling for absolute bargain!

Get a CCDB on there and some offset bushings!!

zippykona

How much is a bargain?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My son just bought my mates 2012 5 for £950. Mint condition, Hopes, XTR gearstuff, Race Face bits, Reverb, 150 Floats, proper nice bike.
    Only downside is I’m still waiting for £300 from the £950 I let him borrow. 8)

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Go for it.

Massive value on the 26″ s/h market

coolhandluke
    Free Member

You’re not mad, I prefer 26″ wheels on my Spitfire to the 650’s.
    More chuckable and Ragable.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Aside from the 26″ question (I ride 26″ers, if there’s an advantage to a slightly larger wheel it’s not one I need), some people really like Orange 5s and some people don’t get on with them. It’s a bike you need to off-road test before buying. Not that that isn’t true of all bikes but 5s are marmite.

nwill1
    Free Member

Sorry OP only just checked back…

I’ve seen 2012/13 (last generation) going for between £850-£1100.

At the middle to top end of that range you tend to be talking about a bike kitted with Pikes/Reverb, Hope Hoops/brakes, CCDB etc in very good condition.

I always keep an eye out and my fave was one that went on eBay for about £1120…it was mint and have an almost brand new CK wheeler on. I offer to buy/part ex the wheels…he was having none of it but I bet he wished he had now…he would have probably ended up with more £££.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    My son just bought my mates 2012 5 for £950….
    Only downside is I’m still waiting for £300 from the £950 I let him borrow having to ride it until he pays me back

Ftfy

zer0cool
    Free Member

Not mad at all, the last of the 5s, and I think Stumpy Evos, are still a great buy and well worth considering.

dirtyboy

I still miss my 2013 five stolen a year ago, got a 2017 Five which fits me slightly better but less nimble/fun than the other one

roverpig

You need to talk to roverpig,have a look at his “which bike to sell” thread on the next page

No don’t do that. I think I’ve just sold the Smuggler and don’t want to sell them both, so I think I’ll be keeping the Five. I am happy to share some thoughts on it though 🙂

I did some back to back testing of this old 26″ Five against a modern 29er (Smuggler) and what was really striking was how little difference there was.

I did a 3.3 mile loop with 400 foot of climbing. Overall time for the Five: 26:04 with an average heartrate of 151bpm. Overall time for the Smuggler 26:13 with an average heartrate of 151bpm. The Smuggler was faster up the timed climb, but my hearrate was higher and I obviously rested elsewhere on the loop to make up for it.

Times on the two descents were spookily similar. One had some steep tight turns that have been covered in loose rocks then some rooty sections. The other was flat out. Technically the Five was 1s faster on the tight section and 1s slower on the flat out, but that’s well within the margin of error.

Now I’m sure that this similarity has a lot to do with the fact that I’m a talentless idiot. What matters is my limited ability and lack of nerve rather than the bike. I dare say that a rider who could push either bike to its limits would notice more of a difference, but for me the bike just isn’t that important.

Having said that, there is a big difference in feel. The Smuggler feels more composed and soaks up the trail better. The Five feels like I’m closer to the edge and gives much more feedback. Which you prefer is up to you of course.

Finally, Orange clearly still like these numbers as the new Four looks a lot like a modern copy of this older Five.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Only downside is I’m still waiting for £300 from the £950 I let him borrow having to ride it until he pays me back

I was a bit of a numpty on this (hindsight etc) I should’ve sold him my slightly older 5 for say £850 & kept my mates for myself! 🙄

nwill1
    Free Member

That’s very interesting Roverpig…gives me confidence in my decision to keep my Five as I live it! Thanks.

velocipede
    Free Member

The one I’m looking at has Hope brakes, wheels, BB and headset, Fox Floats, Thompson…and is comfortably under £1k….which feels like bargain territory to me…..!

upshift
    Free Member

So where would one go to find these bargain Fives?

zippykona

A grand on an old bike or this for a bit more?
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p6926/GIANT-ANTHEM-27-5-2-2016

nwill1
    Free Member

Zippykona…yeah but that’s £1250 with very much entry level components, wheels, bars, stem, forks etc not to mention the frame IMO is no were neer as fun (not to mention the simplicity and ease of servicing the Five’s bearings!).

It’s like saying you can get a new Ford Focus 1.3 for the price of a 2 year old VW Golf GTI mint with low mileage for a bit more!

Apples and Oranges, that Giant is entry level compared to a bike that 2 1/2 years ago would have set you back about £4K!

poah
    Free Member

I want a 26″ Orange 5 – am I mad??

yes

grey

I had one of the last of the 26″ Fives as well. It was a really fun ride and i do regret selling it a couple of years ago.
    I did replace it with an Alpine 29er which is just amazing but not as poppy.
    I did hang on to my Orange ST4 though, now that really is a fun bike 😀 .

stennah
    Free Member

I built up a 2010 Orange Five a few weeks ago as the reviews were very very favourable and I find it pretty good but not overly impressed by it think I get off more on the sound of my hope hubs !!
    Anyway I digress its a nice ride and fairly light it is a XT/XTR/ZTR build I would recommend one but I wouldn’t break the bank to get one.
    I have had 26,650b and 29ers and I am a 26 man through and through my 2007 Cannondale Rush carbon absolutely smashes everything I have ever had and my Sinister Ridge HT is just a beast
    Long live the 26 !!

nwill1
    Free Member

The Geo was sorter further between 2010 and 2013, slacker HA, tapered head tube, maxel rear etc so I think the 2013 is quite a bit better than the 2010!

stennah
    Free Member

I bow to the knowledge of nwill1 I understand the Five HA has changed therefore altering the ‘performance’ of the bike I just expected more after reading all the reviews maybe I am just hard to please ???

velocipede
    Free Member

Mad or not I pressed the button last night and spent £900 locally on:

Med 5, 2013 spec (non Male rear triangle) – nice in Passion red (yes I’m a tart)
    DHX5.0 shock
    Fox Floats 160mm
    Hope brakes, new BB, hubs
    Zee shifter & mech
    Thompson stem/post
    RF Atlas bars
    Brand new RF Deus cranks

Only had a play up the road and back & will be giving it a proper ride tonight to get the shock setup, etc…..so far on initial shakedown I’m very pleased….will report with pics later!! 😀

wl
    Free Member

Had a 2013 Five with 150mm Pikes. It was absolutely mint and held its value very well too. Only replacing it because I fancied something different (either a new Five or Alpine 6). Can’t beat Orange single-pivots for trouble-free UK riding with massive fun factor, despite what some might say.

gelert
    Free Member

I don’t think you can go wrong with that! Enjoy the Five.

I’m gunna come hide in this thread. I feel all up to date and fashionable in here. 🙂

Just changed the pivot bearings in my Five 2013 M I got from eBay in 2015 – such an easy job too!

I’ve also got the final 26 inch unridden ex-display Alpine 160 in Nov 2014. It’ll climb any steep technical rocky climb better than the Five will. The Alpine keeps the front end down better.

The Alpine is more composed going down when it gets gnarly but the Five is a hugely capable bike. They’re both great bikes. I’ve ridden 3000km on each now. I flip between them all the time.

I do fancy a new one soon. I demoed the entire Orange 2017 range last weekend.

igm

I’ve also got the final 26 inch unridden ex-display Alpine 160 in Nov 2014. It’ll climb any steep technical rocky climb better than the Five will. The Alpine keeps the front end down better.

Not sure you do. I think my wife does. She got it in spring 2015. 😉

Fantastic bike either way.

core

I don’t think you’re mad, I want a 26″ five too, preferrably one of the last ones, I’ve got all the bits bar a seatpost on my zesty to swap over. I just want something I can take to BPW or use on rougher trails rather than my soul, but not get pissed off with creaks and multiple bearings and pivots needing maintenance.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2007 Patriot. I think it’s becoming a classic 🙂

gelert
    Free Member

I took my Five to BPW and it was great. I’d only just got it at the time so it got the gig.

Creaks? I’m taking my Five apart again tonight to find a creak because it wasn’t the pivot bearings making it.

I’ve been there with a 4-far and 12 frame bearings. Nightmare those are for creaks and it went through shock bushings faster than my Oranges do. At least it can only be a couple of things on a Five – that’s why I picked one up. I’m betting it’s is a premature failed Cinch BB – I hope so anyway.

@igm okay mine was nearly the last then!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I want a 26" Orange 5 – am I mad??’ is closed to new replies.