Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • I think I killed my Pegasus :-(
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

chilterns flint, flicked up by front wheel…gutted. There’s a small crack in the middle of that dent 😥

any thoughts on a repair or is it only good for hanging on the wall?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Looks like a house insurance claim to me, bit too close to BB unless you could get a gusset manufactured and welded on to strengthen it?

bol

Ouch. Claim if you can. I think I’d keep riding it for now if not and keep an eye on it.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Are those frames steel/alu/ti? I would be shocked if some sort of repair wan’t possible.

johnners
    Free Member

If you’ve contents insurance which covers accidental damage away from home that’d be the way to go. Otherwise I’d get it welded and keep an eye on it.

Or make it into a nice set of windchimes?

johnners
    Free Member

Or be sensible and contact Pegasus and see what they say!

Duffer
    Free Member

I’d contact Singular. If they say it’s safe, then keep riding it. I reckon it’s fine, from those pictures.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yeah I’ve dropped Sam an email for some advice. It’s a Ti frame. Unfortunately my home insurance isn’t going to cover it 🙁

soulwood
    Free Member

Titanium (shreaks) I though they were supposed to be bomb proof. Glad I never dropped a whole ton of money on a Ti frame now. Ah well if it is dead at least it died doing what it liked doing best…

pedalhead
    Free Member

It wasn’t the frame’s fault, the flint hit it HARD. I’ve had lots of rocks bounce off this frame before, but this one was particularly bad luck. If I have to replace it, it’ll be with another Ti frame (preferably a Pegasus!).

thekingofsweden

Hopefully you can get a new downtube fitted back at the factory ?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hopefully you can get a new downtube fitted back at the factory ?

yes I’m thinking that too, depending on the cost/time I suppose. Gotta be cheaper than a new Ti frame though you’d think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

not going to soap overnight, but if it really is cracked you’d think it would propogate.

Replacing a tube is very time consuming, no matter what someone who can’t tell what material it’s made out of says!

pedalhead
    Free Member

yeah I’m most likely going to ride it in the meantime & keep an eye on the crack, but I’d also expect it to propogate. Will see how next week goes, and HONC on Sunday.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? … I know a few folks who could repair that.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I might be tempted to drill a tiny hole either end of the crack to stop it propagating. I’d still be keeping a close eye on it mind.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

bit of silver gaffa tape and it’l be reet 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Stuart, I’m in Oxfordshire. Drilling into the frame is a bit too scary for me 🙂

Keef
    Free Member

lucky it wern’t ally.

certain death.

I’m sure Sam will do all he can to help,he’s a top chap.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

House insurance? There’s quite often a ‘no sports equipment in use’ clause….. 🙁

pedalhead
    Free Member

yeah sadly I’ve checked & no accidental damage away from home on our policy. Used to have it last year but forgot to add it when we changed provider. oops.

neilb67
    Free Member

Im sure thats repairable. Ive got a guy whose doing some work on a Ti frame for me. He does a lot of work in Ti for F1 and race bikes. He’s in Walsall so email me if you want his details.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Bloke I know is in the High Peak, if you want his details let me know.

duntstick
    Free Member

I’d ride it!

singlespeedstu

I’d send that back to the factory then have a nice trip out to Italy to pick it up when they’ve replaced the downtube.

They might even give you a tour of the factory and a nice polo shirt when you collect it. 😉 ‘s @ KOS

pedalhead
    Free Member

ssu, there’s a bonza idea, is the polo shirt worth it? 🙂

Sam’s gotten back to me in his customary quick fashion. He’s gonna check with Nevi for me. In the meantime yes I think I’ll just ride it. Thanks Stuart, High Peak is a way away but I’ll grab details from you if Nevi doesn’t work out or make financial sense.

singlespeedstu

there’s a bonza idea, is the polo shirt worth it?

KOS Loved the tour and free shirt so i’d have to agree with him and say yes it is. 8)

CheesybeanZ

if you have no luck with Nevi i can recommend Enigma Bikes
    not a factory tour but you can look round the workshop 😀
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/

pedalhead
    Free Member

ah yes cheers, Enigma would definitely be an option too

bassspine
    Free Member

drill a tiny hole either end of the crack to stop it propagating.

that’ll be ‘fun’ with Ti!

rOcKeTdOg

horible news, must have been hell of a clout though!

pedalhead
    Free Member

It was one hell of a clout! Loudest impact I’ve ever heard on a bike by a long shot

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bassspine, I’ve got some special drill bits made of chilterns flint. Should go through ti no bother.

pedalhead
    Free Member

lol @ Onzadog 😀

..and this is why you buy a bike from someone like Sam @ Singular. He’s offered to loan me a Gryphon whilst my Peg is away being mended. Awesome.

bassspine
    Free Member

high five onzadog 😀

and nice one sam!

Trimix
    Free Member

There are several place near Bicester / Brackley – being home to F1 teams that will have people who would fix it in their lunch hour.

Changing the downtube for such a tiny hole is way over the top.

I would have thought a small gusset would suffice. When I raced Caterhams we would fix up chassis damage way worse than that – welding / brazing / etc. Apart from the tiny hole the tube is not deformed.

Why not go and see some proper fabricators – they are local and helpfull, before spending money.

cinnamon_girl

Oh no, that’s such bad luck! You just don’t expect that to happen. 🙁

Whereabouts in the Chilterns did it happen? I know some of the descents can be pretty loose and sketchy.

Do hope it gets sorted out and doesn’t mess up your training regime too much.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Good point Ainsley, & thanks for the link Neil, I’ll look into that on Monday. Elaine, it was the Dame Alice descent towards Watlington. Lots of leaf cover on the ground, hiding at least one nasty flint!

cinnamon_girl

Oh yes I know that, normally do it as a climb and it’s a real slog. It’s such an inconvenience though, isn’t it? Will you still be able to do the WRT?

Edit: just seen it’s May so hopefully still do-able.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I think I killed my Pegasus :-(’ is closed to new replies.