Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Rockriders again
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

These have come back to £300, They got great reviews once. Still good value.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-6-3-2010-m-l-xl-112194093/

GlitterGary
    Free Member

A Santa Cruz Heckler for £300 is a bargain.

BoardinBob

That Rockrider is one of the cheaper nastier ones. Doesn’t look much better than a supermarket BSO. It’s the £500+ models that get decent reviews.

BoardinBob

I stand corrected.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

To be fair, the one in the review is an older model and looks a bit different to the ones they sell now.

It still looks like a bargain though. Has anyone ridden one?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have the older model, It cost £350 then, I think. It went up soon after the review. It rides like a proper bike, not a supermarket bike at all. But difficult to judge it overall as it is the only full suss I have ridden. most of my riding is on an inbred 29, so the ride is very different. I’ve certainly not overstretched the bike, but I haven’t really done that to the Inbred either.

the model reviewed does look different, but is that all?

uwe-r
    Free Member

I live near a Decathlon and the high end bikes look really good although some strange spec choices.

This one has a 120mm travel frame and a 100m travel fork, thats not right to me. I would want to at least match the fork travel although a 120mm fork might screw up the geometry (or might slacken it off and improve it).

warton
    Free Member

Restricted use not suitable for downhill, BMX, dirt and competitive riding.

mmm, bargain, great road bike.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Restricted use not suitable for downhill, BMX, dirt and competitive riding.

…..
    mmm, bargain, great road bike.

That seems entirely reasonable to me 😕 It’s not suitable for those things, but then neither are most XC bikes

cynic-al
    Free Member

MOst xc bikes not suitable for dirt or competitive riding?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

This some kind of trick where you agree with me cynic-al?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah I see your smiley.

You must at some point have experiences self-loathing? I’d agree with you on that 😛

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do they have smileys for self-loathing?

warton
    Free Member

That seems entirely reasonable to me It’s not suitable for those things, but then neither are most XC bikes

so XC bikes are not suitable for dirt or competitvie riding then? 🙄

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, I reckon for every bike that you can show me that is suitable for those things, I can show you one that is not, until you run out and i still have more. There is a sub argument about XC bike, but I referring to the style rather than the function.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Remember kids, you must also get your bike assembled by a qualified cycle mechanic, display reflectors on your pedals and wheels, use a bell. Or you will die.

warton
    Free Member

your original post said they are good value though. good value for what if they aren’t suitable for ANY sort of off road riding?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s just a disclaimer. If you do the Mega Avalanche on one and kill yourself you won’t be able to sue them. Does this really need to be explained?

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’d interpret that as “not suitable for full-on DH courses, BMX, dirt-jumping or racing”. Seems reasonable to me.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

your original post said they are good value though. good value for what if they aren’t suitable for ANY sort of off road riding?

Ok, fine they’re not good value for you. Don’t by one. Happier?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think they must have missed out jumping when they type dirt.
    So

Restricted use not suitable for downhill, BMX, dirt jumping and competitive riding

Which other than the competitive riding bit (which seems strange) seems reasonable for a bike sold as a basic mtb.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Which other than the competitive riding bit (which seems strange)

Look closely at the small print and most companies won’t warranty their bikes for racing. Even DH/4X/XC “race” bikes.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think the point is not to get too caught up in the legalise, maybe take a look at the spec and see if it is decent or not, then make a decsion about what it can and cannot be ridden on. Just an idea.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I had a look at these bikes in Decathlon last night, they really do look great for the money.

This one looks pretty decent:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-9-1-66759348/

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

C’mon Warton get on the ball! same again?

uwe-r
    Free Member

I think he must be busy reading small print!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Rockriders again’ is closed to new replies.