Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I never liked Flickr anyway…
  • Stoner
    Free Member

…but I know some of you peeps do.

Saw this on BoingBoing and it makes for an interesting story about startups and corporate sell out.

I cant say Ive ever found flickr to be anything but a badly laid out image archive, but I know there’s some people who thought there was a community thing going on there too.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I just finished reading that myself about 15 minutes ago. Very interesting article.

As it happens I love Flickr, but as a cyclist and a designer it seems there’s a large community of both on there so I happen to be in my element. However the article was very interesting and hit the nail on the head about how the momentum of a large corporate can steamroll the agile startups they acquire.

Interesting to see how things play out.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s wrong with flickr exactly?

flyingmonkeycorps

That was a very interesting read. I’ve noticed a LOT of people migrating to 500px recently.

zokes
    Free Member

What’s wrong with flickr exactly?

According to the OP’s link, lots. Apparently 🙄

No issues for me with it. It’s fast, easy to use, and clearly (from my stats) lots of people look at my images, which I why I put them there.

When I eventually join the 21st century and buy a smartphone I may find the absence of a decent app irritating. But if I’m taking a photo on an iPhone, it’s probably a snap destined for Facebook. I tend to keep Flickr for photographs I’ve put a bit of effort in to.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suppose if you wanted it to be a super modern all singing social environment it’s lacking, but I think purely for photos it’s great.

I can store photos, beam them from my phone if I want, I can link to them, and I can have friends who can see my activity and comment on my pics. That’s ALL I want, and it does it pretty well.

There is a flickr app btw, and it integrates with Android so you can take a photo and click ‘share’ and it’ll magic to flickr.

Actually there is one thing I wish it did. If I share a photo with facebook, it just posts a link to it on my timeline, the photo isn’t actually THERE on facebook. I’ve shared loads of photos on fb from flickr but of course my photo albums are empty. It’d be nice if you could copy them over.

footflaps

I still use it, but only as a personal photo repository – not as a social app as most of my friends stopped using it years ago…..

MrAgreeable

I pretty much stopped uploading when Yahoo! broke the login process, so that chimes with me. But I know a lot of people still use it.

Aren’t a lot of these techy articles just documenting a regression to the mean? Website becomes unusually popular for a few years, then drops off a bit, so commentators rush to declare it dead and buried.

I’m sure when Instagram and Facebook go south, as they inevitably will, there’ll be loads of articles that make out they saw it coming all along.

samuri
    Free Member

The best of that article for me is that I found out there’s an app to add lasers to my cats eyes.

butcher

Was an interesting article, but I’m a little disappointed that the author failed to grasp the worth of its niche following, comparing it to Dropbox and not even mentioning 500px. That, to me, shows a lack of understanding on their own behalf.

For me Flickr’s still a great site. And I still use it on a daily basis. I’m often left thinking there could be more of a community element to it, rather than the repetitively tiresome, ‘Nice Light!’ and ‘Great DOF!’ comments it encourages. I’ve even just dipped my foot in the water wit 500px myself, just to see if it offers what Flickr is lacking… But I’m so glad it never became Facebook, as the author suggests it should have been.

grum
    Free Member

Facebook still makes pictures look like crap. I suppose it doesn’t matter when everything is usually Instagrammed/filtered to hell though. 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

First time I’d heard of 500px

Front page looks nice, pity it’s full of badly done HDR though 🙄

tails
    Free Member

Can anyone summerise that? I use Flickr to back up my pics, so where should I take my photos?

zokes
    Free Member

Can anyone summerise that? I use Flickr to back up my pics, so where should I take my photos?

Nowhere.

In summary: Flickr was once a quirky little web company. It then got swallowed by Yahoo, who may have missed the opportunity to turn it into facebook. Now everyone puts most of their crap photos of drunk people there, and those who just need a back-up use dropbox. Most people who take crap photos now use intagram or facebook. Flickr doesn’t have much of a social network thing any more, but is still quite good unless you have an iPhone, apparently.

Easy 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

You forgot to mention that Yahoo are ****s and that most serious photographers are now using 500px instead of Flickr.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’m want a free photohosting solution. The problems I have are:

Flickr: only see your last 200 photos

Photobucket: only stores ‘websize’ versions which are too small

500px: only 10 uploads a week or something crap like that

Off to look at Picasa but any other suggestions that people use?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Was it ever designed as a social app? I use it to store and show photos, I thought that was the point of it? It works really well for that.

zokes
    Free Member

Flickr: only see your last 200 photos

I know you said free, but $28 per year is little over 40p per week. Hardly breaking the bank, is it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

As coffeking says, I use it occasionally to load stuff from phone then share on here.

But now I use Picassa.

If I link a flicker photo to here it fails to load. But that’s down to user error I guess.

tails
    Free Member

Nowhere.

In summary: Flickr was once a quirky little web company. It then got swallowed by Yahoo, who may have missed the opportunity to turn it into facebook. Now everyone puts most of their crap photos of drunk people there, and those who just need a back-up use dropbox. Most people who take crap photos now use intagram or facebook. Flickr doesn’t have much of a social network thing any more, but is still quite good unless you have an iPhone, apparently.

Easy

Drunk photos – Tick
    Crap Photos – Tick
    Facebook – Tick
    iphone – Tick

I just had a look a 500px, how much does it cost I can’t see the info page? Is it just aimed at pro photographers, most of my pics are of friends or holidays but not many are good. I’m even thinking of selling my s90 and using my iPhone, will I be ridiculed like an Apollo rider using STW?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Front page looks nice, pity it’s full of badly done HDR though

Person A: “Oooohhh, which instagram filter did you use to get that effect”
    Me : “this one”
    *beats ‘Person A’ over the head with a chunky film SLR.*

My would be nephew actualy asked me why the screen on my a camera just said Fuji 400 and never showed the pic, I had to explain to him that that was the back of the film packet and the holder on the back of the camera was just there to remind you what film was in it. Response was “film, you mean it’s a video camera, cool!”. *facepalm*

Was it ever designed as a social app?

Yep, the photo hosting part was just a by-product, hence the article lamenting that it never became facebook.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I know you said free, but $28 per year is little over 40p per week. Hardly breaking the bank, is it?

Because there’s nearly always a free service on the web so why should I pay for it and be locked into it for years to come.

After a quick play Picassa seems to offer what I’m looking for.

brassneck

The best of that article for me is that I found out there’s an app to add lasers to my cats eyes.

Is there one for sharks?

number562554
    Free Member

The social community side of flickr still seems pretty much there as far as I can see. The group for the city I live in for example still have monthly meet ups. Flickr got me laid. I’m sure it still could if I hadn’t got bored of photographing my arse.

tails
    Free Member

LOL at number!

I had a look at 500px and asked some questions, the lady replied saying

We resize photos to 900px wide on the longer side, and compress slightly for quick viewing. If you do not want your images to be resized, you can save them at 900px wide.

On flickr I have the following download options

Square 75 (75 x 75)
    Square 150 (150 x 150)
    Thumbnail (100 x 75)
    Small 240 (240 x 180)
    Small 320 (320 x 240)
    Medium 500 (500 x 375)
    Medium 640 (640 x 480)
    Medium 800 (800 x 600)
    Large 1024 (1024 x 768)
    Large 1600 (1600 x 1200)
    Large 2048 (2048 x 1536
    Original (3264 x 2448)

Is this referring to pixel size, I want to be able to download original size photos if I choose to.

butcher

Is this referring to pixel size, I want to be able to download original size photos if I choose to

That’s the pixel size at 72dpi, yes. The last option in that list is the original size.

CountZero

I’ve got a few photos on Flickr, but of late I don’t seem to be able to get any of the links to show to allow me to post photos. Maybe I’m missing something, (obviously), but I’ve never had any notification that I’ve infringed any rule and been shut out. I nearly always access it via my iPhone or iPad, if that makes a difference, though it didn’t used to.

dooosuk
    Free Member

tails – have you looked at Picassa?

I’ve been looking at it today and if you’re just looking for photo backup at orginal size then it’s perfect (unless I’ve missed something).

You just have the photo’s organised in folders/albums on the hard drive as normal and then click a sync button in the picassa client to sync individual photos or entire albums at orginal size to picassa web albums. You can set the privacy to private, public or specific people via email address. Has slideshow etc.

Seems to fit the bill perfectly for free backup, sharing with family/friends etc.

tails
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at Picasa if it is free! Thanks

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m want a free photohosting solution.

You could get a WordPress blog. It’s free and has something like 5GB of media storage. You’ll get a URL for each image and the choice to publish or not. If you want to present images and/or add text/narrative, the blog format is better than dedicated hosting sites. A choice of page templates means you can create much nicer presentations.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I never liked Flickr anyway…’ is closed to new replies.