Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I need some new lights
  • Keva
    Free Member

Been running Lumicycle Halogens since 2004, have replaced the lamps, wiring looms and battery at least once but they’ve become unreliable yet again…

so… I need a couple of hours burn time, what’s the lightest and brightest value for money ? 🙂

ta,
    Kev

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Firefly from Spokeshirts and am amazed by how small it is, the price and power. Only just got it so no impressions of ride performance or longevity (though have no reason to think it would be any worse than his previous and others similarly priced lights).

TBH, for the price, it’s bonkers good value.

wwaswas

I could do you a Hope HID for £80 posted? Or a niteflux hid for a tenner less.

both quality lightsets you could change to LED’s if the bulbs ever started causing problems?

Stripe
    Free Member

Magicshine MJ808 – nothing can touch it for price & brightness!!
    900 Lumens – £85

steveh

18 bikes have hopes new led lights on special offer. 200 for the 4 led version which is fantastically good, 3+hr burn time (never run out on any of my rides) even on high settings.

neninja
    Free Member

LightandGo Fireball – 1100 lumen 3xpg light – just over £80 delivered.
    http://www.lightandgo.com

Mine took 9 days to arrive from Korea and didn’t get stung for vat or duty.

In use it seems 2-3 times brighter than my Magicshine MJ836 (same as the Spokeshirts/LightandGo Owlet) – even set on it’s lowest setting it provides enough light for many situations and gives 10 hours life on low. On full it provides a superb large hotspot. I’m incredibly pleased with it – so much so I’m going to sell my 2 month old Magicshine and get another one.

JAG

I just bought the ‘Spoke Bloke’ Firefly too. It’s waiting for me at home according to my wife. So no feedback as yet but 400 lumens for £75 with UK support is good stuff 😆

RustyMac

Another option would be upgrade your current light! See thread below.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lumicycle-halogen-led-kit-vote

Depending on how handy you are the conversion is pretty strait forward. It costs about £35/ lamp unit to upgrade them so if your battery is still good and charger works fine it is probably the cheapest way to breathe new life into your old system.

Stripe
    Free Member

re Magicshine lights – yes, you can get them from China cheaper – but you dont get the 1 year warranty (unless you want to faff around sending them back to China which will cost, and theyll probably ignore it)!

Del

re Magicshine lights – yes, you can get them from China cheaper – but you dont get the 1 year warranty (unless you want to faff around sending them back to China which will cost, and theyll probably ignore it)!

is this based on any experience of returning items?
    i sent 4 torches back ( out of quite a few bought i should point out ), and it cost about 4 or 5 quid. as soon as i had posted up a pic of the PO receipt of postage to them they shipped replacements.
    companies like dealextreme have reputations to protect as well.

stanleyfearncycles
    Free Member

We’re doing very good deals on Exposure LEDs at the moment if you’re
    interested in top grade stuff ?

http://www.stanleyfearns.co.uk/sale.html

Ewan
    Free Member

+1 for magishine from deal extreme.

I can not understand why anyone would spend more to be honest – for 50 quid you can’t go wrong. I’ve been using two for a year with no problems at all.

Stripe
    Free Member

is this based on any experience of returning items?

Only from a couple of people i know – its just easier dealing with someone in the UK! (although it does happen here too)!

trickydisco
    Free Member

+1 for fireball (from spokeshirts)

Previously had an airbike p7 and this thing blows it out of the water. Even on medium it was much brighter.

On full it is crazy

PaulD
    Free Member

Keva,

The dealextreme 900-lumen lamps are fantastic value but always get a bad review from people with vested interests. I have 2 lamps and 3 batteries that are over a year old and work fine.

Also consider one of these for commuting and dark lanes, but not offroad stuff. Runs for over 4 hours on full or nearly forever on strobe on 3xAAA alkalines. Do not use NiMH as capacity and voltage too low.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flood-to-throw-zooming-cree-p4-wc-3-mode-led-bike-light-with-mount-3-aaa-26800

PaulD

Keva
    Free Member

wow.. loads to look at there, thanks for all the info… I might be asking some questions later on!

Kev

Speshpaul

I’ve just build some Lumi can conversions using LED’s and Driver from Troutie off here. £66 to do two lamps.
    I’m now awaiting more LED’s off troutie to build lamps for mates.
    Very impressed.

DaveRambo

AY-Ups tend to get great reviews, particularly value for money – I have some and they are rather good.

Now shipping from the UK as well

Alejandro
    Free Member

I personally have had a horrific experience with Deal Extreme and I would seriously discourage anyone from buying from them. I ordered my lights at the start of December (!) and they have not arrived yet, their customer services are not even answering. Here is my post off another forum to save myself repeating:

“After two months of waiting, my lights have not arrived yet, China Post have them marked as ‘undelivered’, Deal Extreme are not responding to any of my customer service requests, I have not been given a refund, the entire Deal Extreme forum is awash with people screaming about undelivered products and being ignored by customer services and… Deal Extreme are about to take a seven day holiday for Chinese New Year.

The deal was indeed too good to be true and the ‘you get what you pay for’ mantra seems to have proven itself again. I don’t know if I ever will get the lights, and I wish I had just paid the £250 that Exposure want to a similarly powered light, and a) actually have a light, b) have second-to-none customer service should something go wrong.”

Avoid DX like the plague I say…

iain1775
    Free Member

+1 for the Fireball, got mine from Spokeshirts for £130
    Could have got cheaper but worth it for his excellent customer service, fast delivery, UK charger and warranty

Comes with helmet and bar mounts

Light itself is very solidly built, extremely bright and a good spread
    1100 lumens, seems noticably better than the DX Extreme Magic Shine lights

Combined with my old 350 lumen Niterider Minewt on the helmet its ace

zaskarrider
    Free Member

ive been running an exposure diablo 600 lumens for 3hrs burn time.. really good spread of light for on and off road with some great add-ons.Ok the 900 lumens at 1 hr burn time is a bit limited but i will get an extra battery in time but its not really needed when you think that for the same price hope offer 480 lumens for 3hrs.
    not the cheapest light around but im very happy with it 😆

small wireless unit for on the helmet or bars light and bright with 2 years warranty… check em out folks

grtdkad

Troute Liberator 3 – Great Quality, Loads of Light, Great battery life, top bloke!

Have had a lot of lights over the years – the Lib 3 is fab!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I need some new lights’ is closed to new replies.