Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I need a cheapish frame.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

A good friend needs a new bike, I know he has higher priorities at the moment so I thought it would be nice to build him one from the spares I have lying around. The only trouble is he is a fair bit shorter than me so I can’t give him one of my spare frames, this means I need to get him something thats reasonably cheap to see he through, so anyone seen anything better than THIS for similar money?
    I don’t mind a second hand frame, but I would like to know 100% that the frame was sound, so I don’t really want to just buy blindly on ebay.

Any recommendations?

Cheers in advance.

stevede
    Free Member

Was going to recommend an inbred or 456 until i clicked your link and realised how cheap you actually meant! Not much around new for £50.

splitlip
    Free Member

What about a Handsome Dog?

Here

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Good shout on the Dog, thanks!

Any more?

oreetmon
    Free Member

pal of mine started with a cheap but quite good brand-x HT frame off CRC and worked his way up to a 456 with 140mms then c-boardman FS over 3 years, as his ridings improved with ‘better frames’ he now has an idea of what he wants/needs and his limitaions.

thing to remember is theirs no point buying a top end frame only for it to be left in the shed until summer,,,,,,, and sold the year after through lack of use

let him evolve 😉

sc-xc

I think it’s a nice idea, good on you.

Have you got all the bits you need?

magowen100
    Free Member

I’ve got a lovely cheap Gary Fisher Big Sur in the classifieds….
    HERE!
    Nice and light takes up to 100mm forks. Only downside is I don’t have an adaptor to fit disc brakes but if you scroll down the thread apparently they’re available.

rustler
    Free Member

I wouldnt spend £50 on that. Rather pick something decent up s/h. Often see Inbreds on here around that price, you have to be quick though.

How tall is he ? I’ve a medium GT Avalanche frame looking for a new home. Not looking for much for it.

imp999
    Free Member

Another vote for Handsome Dog.
    Ridden a 16″ for a couple of years now with 120 Marz’s.
    Lad has got it now.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

sc-xc,

I think so, not gone through the whole process yet, I may not have a seatpost the right size, & maybe a BB if the frame is 73mm, but I’ll check the hoards of crap I have once I have got a frame.
    Thanks!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

rustler,

Medium sounds right, he’s about 5’10”, any more info?
    Cheers.

PS, off out for a meal, back about midnight.

kaesae
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy that frame for £50, the handsome dog yes.

On feebay if you hang about you will see decent frames come and go, I once got a 1998 pristine condition orange msisle for £75. Sold it of course but you do get a lot of good frames.

My email is in my profile if you’re not going for the handsome dog I will help you track something down on ebay and tell you the right questions to ask.

Good on you for helping get your mate into biking, my mate crashed his car yesterday, so I had him round last night for a visit, he came at 7:30, I checked his bike and the frame bearings where knackered so where the front wheels bearings.

4 hours later both the frame and the front wheel was sorted and half a bottle of wine was gone as well as some expensive cocoa powder mixed with honey. All I had lying about 😯 .

We had a good laugh though and his spirits lifted and he spent today at inners, I will help out all that I can if you need a hand let me know 😀

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m back & hovering over the buy button on the Hansom Dog, but I’m going to wait until tomorrow evening/monday morning to order in case anyone can come up with a better idea?

kaesae, thanks for the offer, I’d go with a used frame if I wanted something cheap for myself, but I’m not sure it would be appropriate as a gift to a friend.

Cheers all.

taka
    Free Member

dirty jo semi creme? the £75 i think same frame as the brand x on crc but cheaper i think the website is down at the mo though?

dave_h
    Free Member

Dirty Jo Semi Creme

£65 on ebay

magowen100
    Free Member

The Dirty Jo is the same as the Handsome Dog XC1 frame and the same as a Brand X one as well.
    I bought one for the Mrs – its ok, fairly light BUT it has a really short TT so you’ll need a long stem. Personally I don’t find riding it comfortable for any length of time and the handling is a bit off because of it.
    S/H is way to go – the best bet would probably be an old inbred but you’ll need to be lucky to get it for £50 and at that price it’ll probably need some work.
    Have you got everything else? Are you planning on disc’s or V’s?

Entonox
    Free Member

I have a ‘as new’ (ridden twice) Handsome Dog Rockstar (marketed as a Dual Slalom frame) for sale complete with integrated headset. 16″ but with a long toptube and slack angles. £45. Email me for pics and more info.

Cheers.

andrewh
    Free Member

I spent the extra and got the Dirty-Jo Full Creme, £85, half a pound lighter than the semi.
    Excellent frame, highly recommended. As above, it does have quite a short TT but I quite like that, very different to my other bikes which are all very racey.
    It will be at Cannock this afternoon if you want to have a look at it (grey colour, rigid forks, SS with very old Hope C2 brakes.)

z1ppy

I’d go with a used frame if I wanted something cheap for myself, but I’m not sure it would be appropriate as a gift to a friend.

Don’t see the issue myself, as you’d could get a decent deal & your doing him a favour, but it’s your choice.

Though I will do the cheeky ad & say I’ve got a m8’s medium trek 6500 frame coming for sale, it a few years old but as it only now needs its original chainset replaced, so had a very easy life (will have a headset and probably the front mech included).
    Only for sale as I won’t recommend cheap/crap forks and other bits, when we found a complete 2nd hand bike for not a lot of money than the ‘decent’ parts he needed (we just need to get the difference back).

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thank you all for your input, I bought the HandsomeDog in the end.
    It should turn up tomorrow so I’m going to start sorting the bits out tonight.

Cheers.

tomko
    Free Member

iev got a 2007 felt virtue 3 frame, shock is fine bearing’s have recently been replaced as has the equlink system, few scuff’s here and there….
    £50

steve_b77
    Free Member

How do you fancy a 16″ inbred with some chain suck marks to the chain stay in white for £40 delivered?

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

looks like the OP is sorted but I’d go for a £40 inbred for my wife if its up for grabs! I have one and really like them and reckon she would enjoy it but refuses to spend any money on her GT so the £40 price tag might convince her to try it…

Dickyboy

I got a HandsomeDog Talisman last year, definitely not a bling frame but still a nice ride, hope your mate enjoys the one you got him.

steve_b77
    Free Member

email me on ste_bowman AT hotmail DOT com and i’ll sort you some piccies

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

cool- email sent

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I need a cheapish frame.’ is closed to new replies.