Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I made the horrible mistake of..
  • .duncan
    Free Member

Riding an actual downhill bike down a downhill track.. now all i want to do is buy one.

Somebody talk me out of this! 🙄

benji_allen
    Free Member

Try riding it back up again. You'll soon change your mind.

ash.addy
    Free Member

I know it's not normal so go for it WHY NOT ??? Will it improve your quality of life? there's your answer.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I enjoy riding my trail bike down DH tracks more than I used to enjoy my DH bike.
    I'm not racing, I don't need to go flat out to have fun, and I don't crash as much, so it suits me fine.
    If you can't get the same buzz any other way, get a DH bike. You know you want to….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its worth it ……

Spent the years of 12 – 20 racing dh best time ever – ran out of time and money with uni and lost the urge…..took up triathlon – got bored and moved onto xc and road,

Passed comment to the missus i fancied a downhill bike again after we looked at annoch mor on friday night – got the go ahead 😮

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my new (second hand/classic/vintage/old) DH just arrived last night a 2004 Giant DH 🙂 going to be a fun week on the local tracks "Setting it Up"

.duncan
    Free Member

ah trail_rat, you see the problem is i am just about to go to uni so it might be a long wait for me.

either way, if i had the funds i would buy one right now 😉

ash.addy
    Free Member

Student Loan??

tracknicko
    Free Member

could buy a pink mr big and spend your time drunkenly running into porta-loos.

i hear that's popular!

jam-bo

proper DH bikes (real ones, not freeride bikes) rule.

built for one thing only, going as fast as possible downhill. I love mine.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Student Loan??

's what they're for don't you know

I pre-date student loans, we used to have something called the access fund. I got 60 quid iirc. My mates spent theirs on boze (naturally) me on my first pair of spds

you're gonna be in debt for the rest of your life anyhow (how do you think they control us?) so may aswell start as you mean to carry on. Get a big free overdraft and blow it on a bike

cookeaa

If you can swing it get one they are great fun, but DH is not a cheap habbit…

If you can’t justlfy the spend there’s always the more “Manly” route of buying a “DH HT”: Meaty steel frame, 5-7”-ish fork, tough wheels and cranks and your away, less than half the spend and a great excuse for being slow, even better when you go faster than someone on a proper DH bike…

jam-bo

something called the access fund. I got 60 quid iirc

I got £800 because them seemed to like postgrads, bought me a nice new custom board and wetsuit. I was studying marine science so kinda related…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

My student loan this year bought me a Norco Fluid 6.5" bruiser. I use it as my DH bike (I find anything bigger too heavy for me). Just do it.

angryratio
    Free Member

Downhill hardtail means it'll do the job of a few bikes.

zaskar
    Free Member

LOL@benji 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There dead expensive and you'll probably ride it once per month – this involves driving a couple of hours to a track then spending most of the day pushing up said track.

Fine if you've got loads of cash lying about but theres better things to spend your cash on. Get a bmx if your at uni, you'll ride it more and probably progress more.

lyons
    Free Member

Duncan, I knew it was a bad idea. I NEED to get one again myself… But you also need to get a jump bike/ bmx…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye twwas goood fun ….that was my first xc race – spewed my ringer big time after a litre of vodka and a bottle of strongbow….

wont be so expensive for me – still got my helmet and armour and even some parts kicking about. Just cant decided do i buy a dh bike or get my motorbike licence and a dr350…….

kimbers

not that expensive can get a perfectly good dh bike for 500 quid secod hand

the lack of uplifts/ chairlifts/ dedicated dh tracks in the uk, well london anyway 😉 is the biggest problem

it is lots and lots of fun

tracknicko
    Free Member

as above, im not sure why everyone claims it is so expensive… second hand 223 on ebay wont be any more than £750, and would be a perfect bike.

plus if its SH, it dont matter when the uplift **** it.

and also if you have a DH bike you can have REAL fun in the alps. i rode my xc bike there for 5 days last year, then built up my dh bike and kicked myself for the next week for not getting it out sooner. SO much fun.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I made the horrible mistake of..’ is closed to new replies.