Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I just screamed like a big jessy!!!!
  • organic355
    Free Member

Realized I had fitted my rear tyre the wrong way round so just deflated it flipped it round and re-inflated it and put it back on bike

Was doing some other work on the handle bars when there was an enormous gunshot sound preceded by a short sharp hiss. The tube had exploded.

I literally screamed out like a big girl.

Now wondering whether this is common, or maybe I pinched the tube somehow? It was a nutrak tube 700 x 35, I assume i can inflate these to 60psi plus? it doesn’t say so the box, but it does say high pressure. Maybe I just got a duff one?

was going to order some in the on-one sale as they are much cheapo, but not sure now, this one came from CRC.

matt_outandabout

The screaming is unlikely to be that common.

GrahamS

I assume i can inflate these to 60psi plus? it doesn’t say so the box,

Should state Max PSI on the wall of the tyre, no?

ojom
    Free Member

You will have pinched the tube on install.

organic355
    Free Member

it wasnt the tyre that blew it was the inner tube, tyres can go upto to 85psi (Sammy slicks) and I only had them at 60

njee20
    Free Member

Pinched it.

GrahamS

it wasnt the tyre that blew it was the inner tube

Then yeah, pinched it!

Dancake
    Free Member

I had a tubeless tyre blow off the rim on me. I had been running it all week to work and back all week at far too many PSi.

Took the wheel off to fettle the bike one day and without warning the thing blew right behind me. Must have been at tipping point and some fine british sun took it over the edge

The bike was upside down. Was that the cause?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Pinch. It’s worse if you do that when you’re several miles from home. Not that I know anybody stupid enough to do that, oh no 😳

GW
    Free Member

a small section of tube trapped under the tyre bead then pumped up hard acts like a timebomb.

organic355
    Free Member

acts like a timebomb

it did make me duck for cover, I thought it was a gunshot!! 😆

TiRed

At a sunny track day in Reading, we had a salvo as a few tyres blew off their rims after bikes had been standing in the sun. That time it was Boyles Law in action. In your case, you pinched it. Add a little air to the tube (by mouth if presta) before inserting the new tube.

Loud, aren’t they?

muscleburn
    Free Member

Check your rim tape, I had this happen on my road bike a couple of times- turned out there was a tiny burr in the rim tape where the valve went through the wheel. I have to admit mine didn’t go bang, they just hissed – so I didn’t scream like a 9 year old girl!!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

NOt pinched, as GW says.

tarquin
    Free Member

My friend did this when I was a kid, using the compressor at the garage, he accidentally overinflated the tyre until it exploded. Deafened me for about 10 minutes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I just screamed like a big jessy!!!!’ is closed to new replies.