Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • I just ran over a cat…
  • Jamie
    Free Member

TJ – I was taught never to swerve away from an animal. I guess that’s why.

Including humans in that?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… we never covered humans. I was told to check carefully at pelican crossings though?

McHamish
    Free Member

I was taught never to swerve away from an animal.

Difficult when reactions kick in though…a fox ran out in front of me once and I slammed on the brakes. It wasn’t a conscious decision though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm… we never covered humans. I was told to check carefully at pelican crossings though?

Man holding a badger in the road. What do you do?

THINK FAST!

Jamie
    Free Member

Too late. They crossed the road safely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I must confess that I don’t swerve any more and have got a few birds as a result. Even got a couple on the remainder of that trip ( once MR Hertz had given me a new car)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Damn, I was distracted by my boss, I clipped the man whilst swerving to hit the badger.

yunki
    Free Member

I ran under a cat earlier.. but I am quite diminutive in stature

mc
    Free Member

My current car has done well at road kill.

Wiped out a pheasant that tried to fly through the bike while it was on the roof carrier. All I seen in the mirror was a cloud of feathers, and ended up with blood and a few feathers splattered over the bike.

Got a duck after it tried crossing the road with me approaching at speed, which cost me a new fog light.

Also hit a badger on the way home from work after a late shift. Sitting at 70 in the outside lane on the edinburgh bypass, just seen the black/white object appear in the headlights from under the central barrier, followed by a bang and a couple bumps. Split the bumper, wiped out the other foglight, and removed the wheel arch liner in one quick move.
    Was gutted, because if I’d been doing my usual speed home, I’d of been past the badger crossing several minutes before hand!

molgrips
    Free Member

Was gutted, because if I’d been doing my usual speed home, I’d of been past the badger crossing several minutes before hand

Yeah but you might’ve hit the other badger that made it safely across just before you arrived 🙂

mc
    Free Member

Yeah but you might’ve hit the other badger that made it safely across just before you arrived

Life is full of mights.
    Shame my car seems to convert lots of them to has’s!

giantalkali
    Free Member

Life is full of mights.

badgers are full of mites…

Cougar

Anyone else managed to hit a bird with their windscreen?

If you’re going to do it, do it properly. Barrelling down the middle lane of the M6 in a Transit cab (no body on the back, I was delivering it to a coachworks to be built), when cool as you like three swans come winging their way across the carriageway in “Hilda Ogden’s ducks” formation. I kind of ignored them because I figured they’d get out of the way as birds are wont to do, and in any case there wasn’t a lot of evading I could have done.

They got closer on their intercept course and I was thinking “any second now they’ll change course… any moment now… ” *badoom* as the lead swan brained itself on the windscreen, front and centre in my line of vision, before disappearing off over the roof.

Somewhat taken aback myself, I looked in the wing (ho ho!) mirror to assess the damage, and saw the three swans flying off into the distance, the front one looking slightly askew and a bit punch-drunk.

Thick-skulled buggers, swans.

theotherjonv

I was waiting to cross a road on a night ride one time when the car we were waiting for squarely hit a rabbit that shot across in front, leaving the poor thing twitching in the road. It was trying to drag itself away on it’s front legs, so I assume its back or back quarters at least were donald ducked. I looked at my mate and said we can’t leave it like that, and his response was ‘agreed. I’ll hold your bike’

So I picked the little mite up, fully intending to wring its neck when it suddenly struck me, I’ve never done this before. How hard do I pull? I suddenly had this vision of the call into the local police from the next passing motorist, about the satanist in the woods standing in the middle of a road with a rabbit’s head and covered in blood.

So I smashed his head on a fence post instead.

singletrackmind

I have hit 2 deer on my early commute on the A272.
    First one at around 50mph. Flipped it up and forwards in my Fiat Tempra TurD. Smashed grill , lights and dented bonnet. Drove over deer to ensure its untimely end and carried on to work.
    Deer #2 was part of the deer road tax inspectors and ran out to check if my RFL was legit. I was doing about 60mph . It got a great look at my tax disc for a split second then folded its head right back . Dented A pillar of my Saab 900 and stoved in passenger door panel. It also covered the side of my car in poo. removed door skin and pushed out dents .

Many Many pheasants , pigeons , partridge , rabbits . The joys of a country commute at 0530.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve realised that today might’ve been my lucky day.

The cat was black and it never made it across my path.

Me 1 – Superstitions 0

matthyaa
    Free Member

Yeti, feel a bit bad for the ol’ chicken there..

I once rode over a mating pair of toads, blood, guts, and most likely sperm all over my brand new shoes..

emsz
    Free Member

Bloody hell, it’s like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in this thread LOL

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

emsz – I’ve got bloodlust now, I almost managed to hit three bunny rabbits on the roadbike this evening, if only I’d been on the mtb 😈

spooky_b329

Anyone else managed to hit a bird with their windscreen?

Driving to work one morning, a pheasant wandered out into the road in front of an oncoming van. I had that momentary buttock twitching moment when you realise the other driver could swerve into your path but luckily he kept it straight, the pheasant got scooped up in his bow wave, up the windscreen and into the air, it then proceeded to arc over onto my side of the road and hit my van square on the fibreglass luton above the cab. I got to work expecting to find a hole in the roof and a dead pheasant in my teabags in the back (mobile workshop in the back) but thank fully there were just a few smear marks 🙂

I’ve also collected a family of ducks on the same road, clocked them a short way back, I never swerve but on this occasion I checked the mirror before standing on the anchors, avoided Mum but straight over the ducklings, pretty sure they all survived, I just remember some brown balls of fluff scattering in all directions behind me. Oops!

sv

Have had a couple of notable ones first was my Dad was doing a bit gardening when he found a frog in the area he was clearing. He lifted it out of the garden into a laneway beside our garden thinking it’s safe now. Didnt expect the local farmers son to roar down the lane in his tractor with a fully laden slurry tanker on. Dad said the height the frog was flicked up of the wheels was quite impressive!
    Second one I had was driving to work (late) at speed and rounded a bend only to find mother duck and about six of her kids waddling across the road. All sorts of brakes/slewing/breath holding thought phew they are getting across and there will be enough space. Well until little Donald jumped out of the ditch trying to catch up… Poor wee thing didn’t stand a chance 🙁

enfht
    Free Member

The mrs had a pigeon ricochet off a lorry and land on her windscreen all blood/gut/feathers/mangled beak. She had to pull over to get it off. Her face when she got home was priceless 😆

wheelz
    Free Member

A mate of mine borrowed his girlfriends brand new car for a night out when I lived in Germany. On his return at around midnight he was driving along a road in the local forest, which we all used to speed down.

He was doing about 70mph when a wild boar ran out in front of him. He hit it square on and wrote off the front of the car. He stopped, more to check the damage to the car than the well being of the boar, which by this time had picked itself up and managed to savage his leg before disappearing back into the forest at a great rate of knots.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I just ran over a cat…’ is closed to new replies.