Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I broke my Hope rear axle :(
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I was just replacing the cassette and I checked the freehub for play – not expecting any as I'd only fitted new bearings a few weeks ago – but lots 🙁 So I pulled speculatively on the end of the axle and it came right out! It was in 2 pieces till I drove it out, which resulted in the middle stub shearing off…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

xc rear hub by any chance?

I did two of those in two years before switching to a proII. No problems since. TBF the replacement axles were under £10 for the xc hub

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yes XC. This is the first time I've broken an axle, as I'm not particularly heavy or very jumpy 🙂

dt5714
    Free Member

I found my Shimano XT M775 real axle snapped on Thursday, on the non drive side but it has also sheared away some of the cone. Think I'm going to drop £30 for the whole axle (including bearings, cones and seals) where as Hope will more than likely sort you out.

Next time I will be buying Hope hoops me thinks!

Burls72
    Free Member

Looking at the picture I would guess you have something miss-aligned, all the wear is on the driveside. I know that is an obvious statement as thats where all the torque is but there is hardly a mark on the non-driveside. Should be a bit more even which is proven by the driveside broken axle. Miss aligned rim to axle or rear triangle? Or perhaps you did the lock ring up to tight but something doesn't look right? Anyways only £20ish for an axle, if you have only just done the bearings could have made a minor error when re-fitting? Not saying i'm purfect and know better but IMO the picture does point that way especially as the bearings have just been done.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Yep, ive snapped pro2 axles…thankfully the lovely people down at hope have always sorted me out.

coatesy
    Free Member

Done a few myself over the years, almost certain we've got one in stock if you need a replacement urgently, e-mail in profile if you do.

Karinofnine

Wonder how long it had been broken? Surprised, because (and this is going to sound wierd) from your posts, you don't sound like an air bandit mega 'shore rider.

Karinofnine

Wonder how long it had been broken? Surprised, because (and this is going to sound wierd) from your posts, you don't sound like an air bandit / mega 'shore rider.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

almost certain we've got one in stock if you need a replacement urgently

thanks, but I found a spare wheel for now, and have already ordered an axle from Wiggle 🙂

Wonder how long it had been broken? Surprised, because (and this is going to sound wierd) from your posts, you don't sound like an air bandit / mega 'shore rider.

nicely put 🙂 Well, as I said I refitted the freehub only about 3 weeks ago, and obviously it was fine then 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

i sent my old, it was 7 at the time, Ti-glide to Hope to have a new rachet ring fitted, in stripping it down i discovered the axle was snapped. Sent the hub back got charged for the rachet ring as agreed but also got a free axle.

Evesie
    Free Member

Have had the same failure, mine lasted nearly 5 years so can't complain. Could sense a bit of a low tyre pressure type feeling for a couple of weeks before it finally broke. Failure surface was a classic fatigue example with nice striations starting at the initiation point at the change in axle diameter. Hope hubs are good for UK mudplugging, but the wheel bearings are not equally loaded, unlike Shimano, due to the freehub design.

boxelder

I suspect they break after the 'tapping' that they take while replacing bearings.

allthepies
    Free Member

Thanks for the 1.6Mb thumbnail 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Thanks for the 1.6Mb thumbnail

ooops, I had intended to use a smaller thumb 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I suspect they break after the 'tapping' that they take while replacing bearings.

but that's orthogonal to the normal loading – in the strongest direction for the part…

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I've done one too! Didn't know anything about it it started feeling strange through the back of the bike……weird floaty sensation when going through dips…..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A couple of blurry shots of the break surfaces:

Nick

mine broke in exactly the same way, quite soon after I changed the bearings…..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

quite soon after I changed the bearings…..

about 6 weeks ago for me!

Nick

Yeah but I reckon I was riding around on it for awhile busted, only found out when I took my wheel out.

Even have a pic…

nickc

Shit happens.

I'd be pretty chuffed about breaking an axle I reckon. In a "Grrrr, rufty tutfy" stylee. At least you could use it as a chat line down the pub…"Me, I break things…."

🙂

nickc

You know, I've never once been tempted to take pictures of broken stuff

Nick

So, you'd be chuffed and tell all your mates about it and at the same time make a slightly derisory remark on a forum about taking a photo of the broken part.

ok

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've never once been tempted to take pictures of broken stuff

that's OK, I've never been tempted to go down the pub…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've broken 2. It's a known weak spot. Hope replaced both of mine for free. 🙂

I'll be taking a spare to the Alps this year though!

To be fair, it's either an XC hub and risk snapped axles or a Pro 2 and get through 1-2 sets of bearings a year……

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I didn't have a spare DT Swiss hubbed wheel at home, I'd be going back to something with a steel axle (XT?) next time, but I reckon I've got enough hubs in stock to last me 5-6 years or so… 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

To be fair, it's either an XC hub and risk snapped axles or a Pro 2 and get through 1-2 sets of bearings a year……

that's what I use on my XC…

Karinofnine

I've just changed my bearings after five years. My axle looks fine. Only thing is, the "drifting" required to get the bearings off made the ends of the axle fatter so I had to file them back to round again.

Also, I proudly finished it all, then looked in the parts container and saw…. the circlip that I had forgotten to replace! doh.

Does it really matter? I had to hit the bearing quite hard to get it into the freewheel body, and it's got that spacer and the other bearing to hold it in. If I take it all apart again now I'll probably have to change the axle too, as more hitting will only make it go a funny shape again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, but you should be using marine bearings Simon! 😉

EDIT
    Don't bother with Pro 2 then. You'll be replacing them every month.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the circlip is useful to confirm correct seating but I wouldn't worry about leaving it out 🙂

I always put an old bolt (I have a brass one which is ideal) in the skewer hole to protect the end of the axle.

Karinofnine

That's a good idea about the bolt – thanks.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've never once been tempted to take pictures of broken stuff

with me it's more of a compulsion:

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Ouch! Did you use you finger to protect the end of the axle while "tapping" it out with a bloody great big hammer?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No, just a little off on Rivi 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A nice new replacement axle arrived this morning (FOC) from Hope – great service as always!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Shiny happy axle:

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I broke my Hope rear axle :(’ is closed to new replies.