Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hurrah for compressors!
  • No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Finally gave up using the trackpump after numerous failed attempts at going back to tubeless and bought a whopping 24 litre air compressor.

After 15 seconds of starting the “going tubeless project” the tyre was on!! We were laughing our heads off for a good few minutes afterwards, especially my husband who in the past had to be the trackpump slave! Can’t wait to do the other 5 wheels I’ve got! Pure enjoyment and worth every penny!

clubber
    Free Member

Link?

Waderider
    Free Member

Hurrah for tubes might be the better solution.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

The compressor is an Airmaster tiger 24L. Wasn’t sure what size to get so opted for the big one (it is huge!) just in case and it seems to be more than able to pop on tyres! (Will paint the shed and blow up the swimming pool with it too in the future!) And if anyone has stuggled with tubeless conversions please feel free to come around to mine with your wheels and tyres and have a go! It feels evolution has just taken a big step forward!

(I am aware of lots of people who can do it with a trackpump but I am defintaly not one of them and happy to admit it!)

R.lepecha

We’ve got one of those airmaster tigers, not sure on the size. Its an older one.
    My bikes not tubeless but its still useful.

matthew_h
    Free Member

They’re great for getting barbeques going too. No more wafting

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Matthew- what a brilliant idea! I’ll remember that!

Any other good uses? Anybody?

Northwind

I wouldn’t do tubeless if I didn’t have my compressor… I’ve done a few with track pumps just to make sure I can, and it usually works, eventually, after much frustration and graft. With compressor- fit tyre, turn on compressor, tyre is on. Victory.

BadlyWiredDog

And if anyone has stuggled with tubeless conversions please feel free to come around to mine with your wheels and tyres and have a go!

Are you accepting bookings?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Hehe, no booking required, just make sure I’m in before trekking all the way here! My charges are very reasonable, a pint per wheel!

BadlyWiredDog

A pint per wheel? Hmmm… I’ll have to start saving now :-/

Northwind

Oh, a blow gun is very handy for drying off parts, or for blowing dust/dried muck around. 2nd most useful air tool IMO. And cheap too of course. Paraffin guns, air wrenches etc won’t be that useful for pushbikes. And shooting paint, well… I did my motorbike DIY and it was a good job, but to get a good gun and all the raw materials ended up costing a good chunk of the price of a pro job, and it ate time, I wouldn’t do anything like that again. I could’ve resprayed the Mmmbop myself but not when getting it done for me is £40!

Alex

I’m about to buy a compressor for a few projects. MachineMart are a good source. £120 ish will get you something that’ll be ideal for tubeless and pretty useful for spraying etc. Having just fitted a new set of tubeless tyres today, I really wish I’d already bought it!

mandog

I’ve got a small Stanley one. Pretty pleased. Don’t think it’s big enough to work for painting though.

Try to avoid using the compressor once you’ve added the sealant though as it can freeze it iirc.

trickydisco
    Free Member

You are all weak 😀

I’ve always used a track pump and it’s been fine for my tubeless set up

BigM
    Free Member

If you’re planning to buy one always go for one with a tank on it, you cant paint very well if it doesn’t have a tank on it. I’d try and get something with at least a 6 litre tank.

shaggie
    Free Member

Never found the need for a compressor, just remove the valve core and inflate the tyre with a track pump to seat the tyre, remove the pump head and place a finger over the hole, then carefully remove finger and insert and tighten valve core. You will obvoiusly loose a litte pressure but this is easily replaced. Works every time for me, have used this with Bonty Mud X, Conti Race King & Maxxis High Rollers all with Kevlar bead.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

They are also good for drying chains after cleaning, blowing general rubbish from bikes. Pumping up the car tyres is a winner too as is blowing blockages out of Hoover hoses.

They are also good when you use the air gun attachment and blow air between your fingers for a comedy farting sound.

The best use is for this. Whack the pressure up and then hold a latex glove over the end of the air gun nozzle and inflate until failure. They get very big and make a pretty load bang when they go. You’ll be laughing for ages (well I did!). If your feeling brave try it with a marigold glove instead. This results in an epically awesome boom! Just don’t be surprised if someone thinks there’s been a gas explosion though!

Northwind

mandog – Member

“I’ve got a small Stanley one. Pretty pleased. Don’t think it’s big enough to work for painting though.”

I sprayed half of my motorbike with a 6 litre half horsepower compressor made for driving a nailgun. Though to be fair the motor exploded after a while. But it’s surprising how much use you can get from a little motor or receiver as long as you’re happy with long refresh times.

br
    Free Member

Agree, last year after an hour or two of struggling I just went down to Screwfix and bought one. Sorted.

fruitbat

Compressors rule.

Mine resides up in the ceiling of the batcave. Its a compressor pump off a truck braking system, belt driven by a 2HP motor and the tank is a Calor Gas bottle. Bodgetastic.

sambob
    Free Member

Will definitely use ours for this when i get round to it. You can borrow mine if you want BWD?

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks for the offer – mostly I manage with a track pump and extreme cunning [seat one bead with a tube first is my advice], mostly I was hoping to take advantage of the off to blag some of No discerning taste’s famously brilliant cake. Not that I’m devious or owt like that 😉

Olly
    Free Member

crikey fruitbat.
    thats some garage bodging commitment going on there.

if i ever need a frame sandblasting, i know who to contact!

fruitbat

crikey fruitbat.
    thats some garage bodging commitment going on there.

if i ever need a frame sandblasting, i know who to contact!

Strangely enough, I do have a sand blasting gun!

Just in case there’s any doubt, here is further evidence of serial bodge syndrome:

nbt

Alex – Member

I’m about to buy a compressor for a few projects. MachineMart are a good source. £120 ish will get you something that’ll be ideal for tubeless and pretty useful for spraying etc. Having just fitted a new set of tubeless tyres today, I really wish I’d already bought it!

My local LBS use an Aldi compressor. I think they were about £70? worth keeping an eye on the aldi mailing list if you want a compressor. I’m very glad he got one, as I was completely unable to do mine and Jon kindly sorted me out. Hurrah for the Bicycle Smithy in Stockport 😀

bighendo
    Free Member

They’re great for getting barbeques going too. No more wafting

compressed air good….
    …hairdryer better!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Hurrah for compressors!’ is closed to new replies.