Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hub Sizing / spacing
  • delta
    Free Member

I’m having problems fitting a pair of new wheels onto my hardtail and need to pick the collective brains of you lot. Can you correct me / help me / point me in the right direction with this?

Bike is a Scott Scale 50 from last year, 08 model. New wheels are Mavic Crossmax ST UST disc.

When the wheels are on, they are either too loose and fall out of the dropouts, or the disc rotor is uber tight up against the caliper and it wont spin. I’m wondering if these things are compatible at all (LBS says yes) as the wheels that came with the Scott measure 145mm from either end of the hub. I dont have any caliper whatsits so can only measure the total length of the hub, not the outside of shoulder to outside of shoulder size, which is where I think the offical specs are done from.

So thats 145mm from where the QR skewer dissapperas into the hub to where it pops out again on the old wheels, which are fine. The new ones measure 138mm but are giving me problems.

So, is there an easy way of measuring the outside of shoulder to outside of shoulder length without calipers?
    Is the hub spacing of a frame measured from inside to inside?
    Anyone know the hub spacing on the back end of a Scale?

I’m thinking that the frame is either a funny size but I cant find anything on google about it or that my wheels are missing something. I cant see anyway of adding spacers to them either.

Oh, and the front fits ok into the fox forks that came with it.

Help!!

delta
    Free Member

Should also say, if anyone knows of where to find an ‘exploded diagram’ type thing for the Mavic wheels, that may also help?

Cheers,
    D

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

95% sure the Scale is 135mm- MTB standard. Its only really downhill/freeride bikes that use a 150mm rear, or even a 160/165 on a few older DH bikes.

The 135 is measured from the inside of each droout to the other.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What brakes are fitted? Have you re-centred them for the new wheel?

delta
    Free Member

Thanks guys – was pretty sure the frame should be standard as 145mm shows as being from a tandem!

I’ll have to measure the frame spacing later when the little ‘un has gone to bed.

It currently has Avid Juicy 3.5 I think (definitely some kind of Juicy anyway). I like the sound of this but how do I re-centre the brakes? I couldn’t see much of anything to move near the rotor / caliper? I’ll see what I can find…..

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Fit wheel, with rotor attached.

Loosen both bolts up- pull lever a couple of times and hold “on”.

Tighten bolts.

Release.

Caliper centred!

Stoner
    Free Member

The hubs will be standard MTB OLN as will the frame spacing.

As RTG says, you need to recentre the caliper on the rotor.
    How you do it depends on whether you have an IS mount (need shims) or a post mount (undo the bolts holding the calliper) slightly and recentre using the elongated bolt holes in the calliper before retightening.

d’oh RTG’s post beat me to it.

delta
    Free Member

I’ve just been and had another look and ended up removing the caliper completely, just to see what would happen.

I can see now that the problem is because the caliper is post mount and there is an adapter to get it to fit to the IS mount on the frame. That adapter fixes to the inside of the IS mount and thats what the rotor is getting stuck on.

Without getting a set of IS mount brakes for the rear, any thoughts on how to get around this?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Got a photo?

delta
    Free Member

Erm, yep, but I dont do anything like flickr. Thought I’d just be able to attach the photos to here like in email but I cant see where to do that??

delta
    Free Member

RTG, you got mail!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hub Sizing / spacing’ is closed to new replies.