Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • htc desire, gingerbread and backing up
  • DickBarton

Hi folks,

I’ve got a desire and wanting to update it to gingerbread – hoping for improved battery life and ability to move more stuff to SD card.

I want to add my contacts and calendar from phone to my home pc Outlook. Got latest HTC sync but it won’t remain open, starts up and closes when it should show me the option to determine sync.

Not bothered about looking my text but will loose the jokes I’ve saved…hoping to not loose my contact lists.

Has anyone installed gingerbread on their desire?

How secure is Google for me to sync my contacts and calendar with? Assuming I can’t get HTC sync to work and think sync to Google my only other option.

Cheers.

orena45

Google’s fine – all automatic so no need to faff about with HTC Sync/Outlook etc…your phone and Google contacts will always be synced. You can export all your contacts from Google in .CSV format for Outlook if needed though.

billybob
    Free Member

I did hear something about htc bringing gingerbread to desire officially, but in doing so it’d several limit the sense os….

more info here

Cougar

Yeah. If it’s tied to a Google account, contacts and calendar are in the cloud. If you’re not syncing with Google, you’re Missing The Point and should consider a non-Android phone.

Titanium Backup is well regarded for everything else.

I gingerbreaded my Desire through unofficial means via rooting and a custom ROM. It was loads better. The official RUU wasn’t out when I did it.

cranberry
    Free Member

I installed Gingerbread on my Desire Z. After much checking for the update, when it came it was actually a bit of a shock, so I didn’t back anything up.

It all went well, but as an ex-IT person I wouldn’t recommend that you do the same.

Cougar

This is the one I used, I think.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=988570

Slept since then (and the phone’s been back for repair and wiped) so can’t be 100% sure.

edhornby

backup master is a free app – highly recommended, dumps everything onto the memory card…. texts, contacts, photos etc

tonyd

I upgraded my Desire Z over the weekend using the standard update process (I’m with Vodafone and have no real desire to root it). Didn’t bother backing anything up as I don’t keep a lot on there and everything important is sync’d with Google or work systems.

I’d say just crack on, which is probably a slightly cavalier approach for a data protection architect 🙂

sadexpunk

i too have rooted my desire and installed a gingerbread rom. mine was for battery life too and you can also instal Apps2Sd i think it is, which automaticaly instals apps to your card. can be a bit of a faff, but now mines done i dont mess about with it anymore.

the ROM i settled for was redux, which has helped a fair bit. it doesnt use the Sense interface, which is sort of heavy on the processor. it also allows you to set processor speeds etc to further save your battery.

all the info is on the androidforums site.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘htc desire, gingerbread and backing up’ is closed to new replies.