Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How would you spend it?
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Folks have often had the ‘how would you spend it’ discussion with regard to a lottery win, and this often includes a donation to charity and a substantial share to family. Would folks behave very differently, if the windfall came from a house? After all it has a number of aspects in common. If you bought a house which for reasons of pure luck substantially outperformed everyone else. Would you consider this bonus in the same way?

d45yth
    Free Member

What kind of houses are you talking? There aren’t many houses that any money you make on them equates to a lottery win, if you can buy houses that make that kind of money, you don’t need lottery money.
    The majority of people who go on about winning the lottery haven’t a clue what a lot of money is. Most think a million pounds is a lot of money, which it isn’t in this day and age. The way returns are on investments these days, you couldn’t retire on it.
    Regarding making money off houses though, I know a few property developers who bought fancy cars when selling new builds. Some are bankrupt now and some have mortgages…In other words they’re clueless and all top show! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

bivvy bag and an amazing fat bike
    HTH

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Rubee incrusted sodastreme

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes you could retire on £1m but you couldn’t also live like you were a millionaire.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

For example making 100k on a house. Not that the amount really matters, the point is, would you share it out in the same way?

higgo
    Free Member

Mark Datz – Member
    Rubee incrusted sodastreme

Welcome back, sir.
    The place hasn’t been the same without you.

higgo
    Free Member

For example making 100k on a house. Not that the amount really matters, the point is, would you share it out in the same way?

No.

d45yth
    Free Member

Not a chance!

Cletus

If you were to make this type of profit it would not be a surprise in the same way that a lottery win would so I do not think the two are comparable.

If I had £100k doing nothing I would probably use it as the deposit for two buy to let properties which would be investments for my two kids.

If I were to win an obscene amount of money (like the Scottish couple from Largs who won £161M) then I would give away a large proportion of it to genuine friends and also support some charities that I am involved with.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes,nbut what if you won 100k on the lottery? Would you give any of that to charitynand friends? I’m wondering what the real difference is, in either case a exceptional piece of luck brings you an unexpected windfall. Why would the house income be different ?

higgo
    Free Member

Yes,but what if you won 100k on the lottery?
    Would you give any of that to charity and friends?

Not a penny of it.

Cletus

If I won £100k on the lottery I would invest the majority of it. I might fund a decent holiday for extended family but that is about it.

I already contribute to a couple of charities via direct debit and am quite generous when sponsoring friends/acquaintances so would not feel guilty about not giving away a chunk of the cash.

uplink
    Free Member

I inherited a 1/4 share in an apartment in a nice bit of that London and that gets rented out and I keep all the money myself 🙂

We [my wife] also inherited a 3 bed semi which we sold and bought a place in Lanzarote with some of the money

I do stick a quid in charity buckets when I see them though 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How would you spend it?’ is closed to new replies.