Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to stop XT brakes rubbing
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

My brakes (especially the rear one) seem to constantly rub, no matter how carefully I set them up. They're well-bled with very little squidgyness when the pads have contacted.
    The lever moves about 1/3 – 1/2 way from "open" to hitting the handlebar in total. I'm thinking if I took a little fluid out (causing the levers to move more), the cylinders might retract more. Right?
    If so, how's best to get a bit of fluid out so they won't need re-bleeding?
    Cheers

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm what xt brakes are they? New ones m775 ones or older ones? Reason i ask is because i had rubbing issues with elixir especially and hope tech x2's amongst other things and the xt have got by far via greatest clearance i have encountered the wheels runs constantly free and spin for ages even with new pads! You sure your wheels are not out of true or something similar? Causing a catch on every rotation? Honestly the xt's have great great clearance, with new pads i can see clearly down either side of the rotor!

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Sounds like you have a sticky piston. Check to see that both are moving together at the same rate. If one of them is sticking, remove the pads, clean around the pistons, and drop a wee bit of oil around the seals.

toaster93
    Free Member

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. I took the pads out gave them a good clean with disc brake cleaner, and also sprayed the inside of the caliper and the disc. I then put the yellow bleed block that came with the brakes, to push the pistons (cylinders) right back. I then put the pads and wheel back on, and centralised the caliper on the mount.

But i'm guessing you've already done that???

ir_bandito
    Free Member

They're older M765s. Thinking about it, I am using Hope rotors, would that make a difference?
    The front is actually ok, the rear has a constant rubbing (with a little pulsing so I guess the rotor is slightly bent)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Toaster – tried re-aligning.
    I'll go and give it a bit of a clean now and let you know…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ah sorry then dont know about older ones, but as said previous, the clearance is cracking on the newer ones, even if i had a wonky wheel i reckon it still wouldnt catch!

uplink
    Free Member

Too much fluid?

vrapan
    Free Member

Sure you don't have some warped rotors? I got a second hand pair of rotors and they were ever so slightly warped making them rub no matter how much fiddling we did.

Bought a new pair of spider rotors for the new wheelset I built, the front new rotor kept rubbing for the first half hour of the first ride. After a few hard pulls on the brake the rotor started running free without a problem.

Can't say the same of three versions of Avids I had every single one of which from new it kept rubbing no matter what.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Well, rotor seems straight, pistons both moving equally and withdrawing fully. All I can assume is the Hope rotor and the Superstar Sintered pads are slightly thicker than the Shimano versions. So what's needed for the next check is a few screamingly long descents, then I'll check after that. Darn, the things we have to do… 🙂
    Thanks all

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Are they hope floating rotors? Sometimes they have clearance issues and need a little material removing from the calliper.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

oh, and have the frame mounts been faced? if they're very wonky then there's little you can do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to stop XT brakes rubbing’ is closed to new replies.