Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How to split a Shimano 10 speed chain?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was going to put a KMC chain link in to my Shimano 10 speed chain tonight, so got the chain tool out. I noticed that all the pins have concave recesses apart from one which is flat, so I plumped for that one.

One side has popped off, but I can’t get the pin to push out. Are these new fangled chains not as simple to split as a good old 8 speed chain, have I done some thing wrong, or is it that I am not using enough force (new chain tool too)

Ta

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I did the one on my roadie bike in the normal way.

Push the solid pin all the way through, then the next one to it so you are left with an inner link at each end of the chain.

Mebbe just give it a “bit more”.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok, its an almost brand new chain so didnt want to do some thing that damaged it, I’ll just keep pushing the pin with a bit more force.

Why are all the pins recessed apart from one though?

coatesy
    Free Member

That’s the original joining pin,the one they tell you not to remove if you read their instructions.It’s oversize compared to the rest of them, and if you then try to rejoin it using a Shimano pin, you’re likely to suffer frequent breakages at that point, though it’s unlikely to be a problem with a Powerlink type.

coatesy
    Free Member

That’s the original joining pin,the one they tell you not to remove if you read their instructions.It’s oversize compared to the rest of them, and if you then try to rejoin it using a Shimano pin,then you’re likely to suffer frequent breakages at that point, though it’s unlikely to be a problem with a Powerlink type.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ah ok, so using a powerlink thing it probably is the one to remove, but does explain why its being a pain to come out!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to split a Shimano 10 speed chain?’ is closed to new replies.