Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • how to make a badger "disappear"…..
  • bikerbruce
    Free Member

any suggestions…i was build a trail and a badger set appeared complete with snuffling rudding large tb carriers..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bruce the tb thing is not "fact" ( this is from a source who is a vet and director of greenpeace so debate away but you are wrong)you cannot (and i would report you} move a badger set or disturb them!

oh and a suggestion – sort out the English before trail building – there's a good lad eh!

sssimon
    Free Member

go build your trail smowhere else? or train it to dig berms

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This should be fun.

I don't think Brucey's too worried about legalities… 🙂

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i thought so….i was merely looking for amusement and badger related comments.I might stop building trails and do nature watch,
    Badger Bruce

racing_ralph
    Free Member

still building in the manners wood? if so you are treading a fine line

sssimon
    Free Member
    bikerbruce
    Free Member

nooo moved on…. im not really going to disturb them but how close can you get to them? do people know? or do they go for the jugular…

sssimon
    Free Member

no badger botherer has ever lived to tell other humans how close you can get

yunki
    Free Member

Badger related amusement????

+1

MUSHROOM MUSHROOOOM

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i best forge an iron neck gusset…

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hands off the badgers!

bikerbruce
    Free Member

IM a convert…i shall steal a baby badger and train it to build trails..

sssimon
    Free Member

that's the look they give just before ripping out your windpipe!

you've been warned

bikerbruce
    Free Member

i would curl up like a hedgehog…

tazzymtb

ask this man, he knows I saw him on telly and he was an expert

highclimber
    Free Member

Hire the guy mentioned in this thread
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/badger-killer

you have to scroll halfway down to see the transcript

Zoolander
    Free Member

Build a jump , over the badger set. That way you don't have to move them and get the added thrill on your trail – hit the jump wrong and you're badger food.
    Alternatively teach the badgers to mountain bike and everyones happy.

cinnamon_girl

Come to Auntie C_G …

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

We had the same in Lordswood once. We moved the trail, they moved their set, we moved our trail, they moved their set.

After having our trails ripped up by badger sets 3 times we just gassed them*

*not really, we built somewhere else until they moved on

jahwomble
    Free Member

Wrap them in bacon and tell everybody that they are pigs.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Come to Auntie C_G …

Who you talking to………………Reluctant's baby brock ?

You evil woman you 🙁

Waderider
    Free Member

I've got a bit of secret singletrack that I 'maintain' that steams past a badge set. I try not to use it for night rides in deference. On occasion, I creep into the woods and watch them. It's a pleasure.

Badgers are more important than a bit of trail. Shocking conclusion.

user-removed
    Free Member

bikerbruce – Member
    or do they go for the jugular…

How do you kill a circus?

Go for the juggler…

tron
    Free Member

Natural England / English Nature did issue guidelines on works around badger sets. As I remember, it was no closer than 50m with tracked earth moving machinery, 25m for a backhoe JCB and 10 metres for hand tools.

As you can probably guess by my use of the name English Nature, my knowledge isn't completely up to date.

However, the penalties for disturbing badgers are very high, and there are a lot of local conservation groups around who probably know where the sett is, and therefore that you've disturbed it. The crimes related to protected species include disturbance, which can be creating noise, digging etc. – literally anything that will disturb. Certainly building a trail that passes by a badger set would constitute disturbance – both in building and possibly in use.

To be honest, badger setts are so obvious you'd need to worry about a wide range of people shopping you – dog walkers, farmers etc., not just those in the know. It might not lead back to you, but it'd certainly result in some work to get the trails closed.

My advice would be to re-route the trail so that it passes no closer than 10m to a sett. It's not difficult to work out where they are, particularly once you've seen one, so my advice is to check there aren't other outlying setts nearby before you start digging again. You'll no doubt notice that they like to dig into the side of earth banks.

jacko54321
    Free Member

historic law clearly states "finders keepers, loosers weepers"

get weeping

rOcKeTdOg

badgers build great trails, lots of humps like moguls, leave 'em to it until they have finished, then sculpt away

flippinheckler
    Free Member

We have badgers who use our garden as a thoroughfare as there is a set nearby, there is a big male who is not shy and when he is snuffling around our garden and the outside light goes on he does not bat an eyelid or if I shine my exposure joystick on him, he has a following of 4 youngsters and their mother who are a bit skittish and scatter if I shine the torch on them. They come through the fence at the back of our garden that backs onto some woodland and they come through to the fence at the side of the house onto the close. The big one likes to chase cats and we often see him flying down the road after them.

We smear peanut butter on fence posts and our decking & coconut shells they go mad for it

Badgers are great!

Eccles
    Free Member

Dye the black bits white and the white bits black and – hey presto – invisibadger.

Simple and effective.

Flaperon

Farmers round my way poison them and leave the bodies in the road so it looks like an accident.

thehustler
    Free Member

anyone have the link to the 'infamous' badger thread on here, he moved on shortly after it for some reson

mattsccm
    Free Member

Badgers are very over rated littkle buggers. If they have moved into your trails then they won't be scared of what you do so carry on. I have watched badgers watch motorcycle events on green lanes. Ignore them. Ignore the fuss over them as well. Have you noticed that when they start to dig near a motorway it doesn't get shut down.

DezB
    Free Member

C_G will move it for you

wwaswas

BBB = that's what I thought this thread was going to be about when it went up this morning 🙂

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Me too. He has disappeared hasn't he?

phildowling
    Free Member

Raoul Moat? He might be your man, here he's good in the woods?….Not in a gay way though just in case your watching Ginge 😆

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘how to make a badger "disappear"…..’ is closed to new replies.