Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How realistic is the 190lb weight limit on Crest 29er rims?
  • slowboydickie

Have any Clydesdale category riders tried them out?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t know there was a weight limit.

Wookster

Not the 29 version but he 26ers hold up fine well above that……. 😳

bol

I’m 210lbs and mine have never gone out of true.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m 180lbs and I’m on my 2nd front rim after I managed to fold the front one hitting a 3ft jump/drop rather badly.

Not bad considering I’ve battered them for 8 months before that.

Back one is still true & ding free after 10 months

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

190lbs on a good day and I have managed to bend an Arch EX that was well/evenly tensioned so I would be very wary of crests if your wheels leave the ground regularly.

theotherjonv

according to who? I haven’t seen this before and the Stans site doesn’t seem to back that opinion up:

“When selecting the proper rim for a wheelset it is important to consider several factors including the needs of each individual rider. Your local bike shop or NoTubes can help make the best choice from the ZTR rim line to suit your needs. The chart below provides a rough starting point. The more wheel icons you see, the more appropriate that particular rim is to the application. We are often asked if we have a weight limit but it’s more important to consider all of the components in the wheel as well as the intended use.”

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

Not had issues with mine, used for their intended use but I’m somewhat above the ‘limit’ mentioned above and now starting to worry…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve heard 185lbs before, but ony here.

FWIW, at 190lbs without riding gear, they were out of true pretty quickly, and I’ve put a number of dents in the rims. Granted, they were hope hoops, and thus factory wheels, but I went through a couple of months where I was truing them every other ride. I don’t use them now, they’re sat as a standby pair for my 26 FS, whilst I spent most of my time on a 29er.

rsvktm

Circa 190 here and use a pair of hope hoops as race wheels on a hardtail. Not had a problem, have used to do fast trail centre laps as well. Feel happier with my archs for general usage but that might just be a confidence thing..

Joe

Where did this “Clydesdale” term come from?

honourablegeorge

Stan’s spe their wheelsets with a weight limit, but not their rims.

thejesmonddingo

200lbs in riding gear,on 26″ Crests,no probs,but i don’t do air,I’d switch to Flows if I did.they went down Chapel Gate no probs,and they’re going down the Beast next week.

br
    Free Member

Where did this “Clydesdale” term come from?

I think the term normally refers to folk far heavier than 15st poster’

Clydesdale isn’t used much in the UK.
    I found a Clydesdale forum once and it was full of 300lb Americans who thought they should get some sort of recognition for managing to wobble down the end of the road and back.

I use Flows on the back and Flows or Arches on the front.
    If I can’t break them, they must be OK.
    Crests should be OK for someone who’s only 190lbs.

Jeffus
    Free Member

206lb in my boxers been riding 29er Crests for 3 months no problems so far , had a great ride round the Beast at Coed Y Brenin plenty of rocks to test them there still straight 😀 3″ travel bike 😀

devs
    Free Member

I went through this dilemma last year when speccing wheels for my 29er. FWIW Stan’s site only puts a limit on wheelsets not rims, but then when you consider the only difference between wheelsets where the weight limit varies considerably is the rim! I went for Flows because I am 18st in bike kit, do much more than ride round muddy fields and quite like my teeth. Isn’t there a new model now (Alpine?) that is Crest weight but Flow strong?

crankbreaker

Kona introduced the Hoss for larger riders, the Boss as it was nicknamed was my first proper mountain bike in 2004. It’s 15 stone of muscle by the way, maybe! :s

Clydesdale

MSP

Clydesdale was a triathlon term about 15-20 years ago for heavyweight ironman competitors.

slowboydickie

I will most likely go for Arch time since 70g per wheel is neither here nor there for 6.4 and 220lbs.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Don’t know if this is of any help, I have the Alpine rims (cx ray sapim spokes) which are even more lightweight than the crests, I’m 13 stone and ride them pretty hard in the Yorkshire Dales/locally and on carbon rigid forks. They’re still nice and round.

I think all their rims are tougher than you/we might think.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How realistic is the 190lb weight limit on Crest 29er rims?’ is closed to new replies.