Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • How often do married types here get out and ride?
  • Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Weekly
    Day trips
    Ride weekends away

Ta

kinda666
    Free Member

couple of times a week, day trips to wales and weekends to spain are really not a problem, both shift workers though so try and get out when she's at home, er i mean work! 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Commute as often as I can – say 2/3 days per week.
    Evening rides – mibbe once a week.
    Weekend rides – once a weekend.
    Trips away – every couple of months but depends on what we're doing as a family.

IME, it's not being married that's the issue, it's sharing responsibility for looking after kids.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not married but co habiting without kids for many a year.

I ride as often as I want. sometimes she comes with me sometimes not

AndyP
    Free Member

every day for stuff based from home – 5 weekday commutes, 2 evening rides, 1 or 2 weekend rides, prob once every 6 weeks for weekends away. couple of times a year for really good trips eg France etc

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Most weekends. Obviously depends if we have stuff on. I agreed to reduce to every other weekend but I'm back up to every weekend now.

Jase
    Free Member

IMO it's all about planning and compramise.

For example I go out in the week for 1 hour just after 6am. By the time I get back my 6yo daughter is only just waking so my ride doesn't really have an affect the family.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Married with 2 kids.

Commute 20 miles a day and then MTB every Sunday morning. Do a trip to Lakes and Spain every year.

Could do with more but I keep it zipped!

MM

Jase
    Free Member

Could do with more but I keep it zipped!

Are you talking kids 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

lol!

You know about me Brother Baker.

mamadirt
    Free Member

How often do married types here get out and ride?

Eh? Everyday! 30 years for us next week too 😀

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

not married but living with fiance, no kids and never will be. we both ride as much as we like/want to – me much more so than him atm. for me, its both days at the weekend, and usually gym/run/spinning/riding on Tuesdays, Weds and Thurs.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

it's sharing responsibility for looking after kids.

That's the big one. Especially as I only see my boys from my first marriage at the weekend (every weekend) so weekends are pretty much out for me except on the rare occasion that my ex wants to do something with them.

Which leaves commuting and ambiguous 'Off-site interviews' in my Outlook Calendar at work. Usually on a Wednesday. These interviews will often take place in scenic locations with a number of bridleways and (ssh) paths traversing hills.

warton
    Free Member

as much as I want, she sees my non riding fronts drinking their life and money away while their wife's stay indoors all the time and definitely sees cycling as the lesser evil! just got back from a two day trip to the peaks, going to kielder for two days next weekend, riding two days this B/H weekend, its never been a problem. although having kids will change this I imagine!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, suppose I had forgotten about when the kids were little (sheesh, seems so long ago now 🙄 ). Used to get out just once a week (papadirt played football Saturday afternoons and I rode Sunday afternoons) until they started school 😛

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Once every weekend, and two/three times midweek evenings. Give and take works well, and we've no kids!

AdamM
    Free Member

Before we had a kid, I could usually commute every day and get out on a ride one day most weekends, but always a need to be flexible with spending time with her as well. Maybe 2 weekends away riding during the year, but week long cycling holidays (alps, etc) have not been a part of my life since meeting her. 🙁

We now have an 8 week old and I've not ridden off road in 3, maybe 4 months as it was a difficult pregnancy and there is just no spare time since the birth. It is also grossly unfair, when she's been looking after the baby all day during the week, for me to **** off for another whole day at the weekend (it's an hour each way on the train just to get to the trails, so just not possible to go for a ride for 2 hours).

I don't see a lot of riding in my future until such time as the kid is in day care or nursery, just on the basis of some sort of equitable sharing of parental responsibilities. That might change if we move out of London so have trails on the doorstep to make early morning or evening rides a feasible option.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

for me to **** off for another whole day at the weekend (it's an hour each way on the train just to get to the trails, so just not possible to go for a ride for 2 hours)

Yep, I know that one very well. Commiserations.

AdamM
    Free Member

We're emigrating to Australia in a month so I'm hopeful that I'll be somewhat closer to riding when we are there. Time will tell though…

Surfr
    Free Member

Currently 1 night ride a week and maybe a time trial if it doesn't clash with night ride. Then theres sometimes a weekend ride to be ha. Either a pre-breakfast Sunday ride or something on Saturday afternoon. Monthly longer rides and weeekends away for Mayhem, Dyfi and SITS this year.

Daily commute to add to that from next week after a couple months lapse.

emac65
    Free Member

Married with 3 children & 1 dog.Kids are getting older(16,15 &10) so it's not quite as restrictive as it was a few years back children-wise,plus both the lads ride with me now so that helps.But the dog's a f'kin nightmare & we have to take turns looking after him now!
    So in all I can get out for 1-2 hrs most week nights & all day on either Saturday or Sunday, only after I've done all "my jobs" mind 😉

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Married with two young kids, and work away 5 months of the year. When home i ride 3 nights a week, and as many early mornings as i can be ar$ed to get up for. Also ride everyday in the park with my son (he's 6).
    Haven't been on a proper ride in the middle of the day in ages, but this way suits me.(atm)

devs
    Free Member

Married with 2 boys. Ride most nights and once a weekend but not too many all dayers, maybe one a month. Never been on a bike holiday but that's because I do rugby trips and get at least 2 weeks skiing in too.

sheldona
    Free Member

Whenever we want to, up to 6 times a weeks when I fit!

samuri
    Free Member

every day. As above, being married isn't the issue, you both need space to do your own things anyway, it's kids that tie you down. Once they get past a certain age (about 3) they look after themselves though. Give 'em a computer game and a bottle of aldi blue pop and they'll be right. Maybe show them how to light the fire in case it gets cold and then out you go.

trailmonkey

barely get out 😉

ononeorange

Married no kids.

My wife is fantastic, let's me go (within reason) when I want, but the limting factor is work (and commuting – too far to ride, nowhere to leave bike at work etc). Go out with local group 6.30am Saturday morning (so they're back when their kids are up) for 2-3 hours, usually get a Sunday blast in and try to get out for a night ride in the week.

DickBarton

Before our daughter arrived it was very regular – almost daily, plus weekend riding with a few weekends away – helped by our differing working hours…she works in the evening plus a Saturday so I had time to go biking.

Daughter is now here and I can get out on a Tuesday night – and I do so like it is some sort of religious practice…

zangolin
    Free Member

Everyday.
    Married with three kids (3,7 & 10).
    As someone else said better than going to the pub everynight + p*ss**g your money away – just waste it on bicycles instead.
    Time is always made. Cycling or running everyday is something I have done for over 30 years – so not doing it is never an issue as it's such an integral part of our day to day lives.

I guess you need to make sure that your potential wife/gitlfriend/partner understands what cycling is about + how important it is to your life. Obviously this understanding has to work both ways with their interests etc. If it's not going to work for both of you then keep looking.

zempy

weekends, and a couple of night rides.

*Top tip*

Get up early saturday morning (6am) go for a ride. Then pop to the bakers on the way home and get some nice breaky things.

Wake her up with a nice breaky in bed. She'll not mind you going out for a ride and you might get some "action" in before football focus.

vdubber67
    Free Member

20 hours a week training for the last few months..

saxabar
    Free Member

Truly a forum of fanatics – not an innuendo in sight!

Bunnyhop

We ride together at least once a week.
    For the more technical fast rides hubby goes with the boys.
    For the more sociable, taking in the view, having a gossip, gentle rides I go with the girls. Having said that some of the girls I used to ride with can outride some of the chaps I know.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Aye, it's all been said above, married no bother, we both rode a lot. 2 x young kids later, things get a bit trickier, however, I ride as part of work and squeeze in a mid week ride or two (!) plus a crack of dawn sun' ride. Biggest difference is always ride alone now, due to weird/impromptu ride times.
    Loving watching my eldest develop into a wee biker.

Bernaard
    Free Member

I commute everyday (25m) and she thinks I do it to save petrol.
    Once a week evening/nightride and either mtb or roadride at the weekend.
    I get away to other venues further a field once a month with regular riding buddies, but that used to be more 8(
    I also get a mtb trip away each year for a few days. Only been in the UK for the past few years, but working on Europe next year.
    This years mtb break has been sacrificed for a Lands End-JOG charity ride though.

As said its either biking or I could always go to the pub dear………..

nickegg
    Free Member

We ride together most weekends, i ride whenever i can be bothered during the week and we're going on our first Alps trip next Saturday!

All our holidays are bike holidays as well and no kids to get in the way, nor shall there ever be!

AndyP
    Free Member

Aye, it's all been said above, married no bother, we both rode a lot. 2 x young kids later, things get a bit trickier,

I've found it much easier since we got 2 young kids. Ridden more in the past 3 years than ever before. Focusses the mind wonderfully on making the most of opportunities.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Train every day for about 2 – 3hrs. Race Saturdays and long road ride sundays.

coffeeking
    Free Member

co-habiting for a while now, together for 11 years. I ride whenever I want, she joins me if she wants. I dont ride if theres something she wants me to do or she's feeling lonely.

abs6pk7
    Free Member

commute 5day 18mile mtb & 30 or 40mile mtb ride weekends 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘How often do married types here get out and ride?’ is closed to new replies.