Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • how much water/fluid do you carry when racing?
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

doing my first race next weekend and i was just wondering how much water people carry with them?

ive got a 1 litre bladder but i dont think it'll be big enough for 25k.

so any advice/tips??

ta

Ben

crazy-legs

25km?!
    1 water bottle, 2 if it's really hot (handed up by a teammate half way through ideally).

sputnik
    Free Member

Hi Ben
    Sounds like 3x5mile laps? When I do that distance I carry 2x750mm bottles. One is a mixture of water and whatever powder energy you prefer ( I use Torq) and the other bottle is just filled with water. The plain water I use to help swallow energy gels. I have one gel at the start of the second and third lap.
    I also make sure that I am well hydrated before the race starts.
    Good luck on Sunday

oldgit
    Free Member

That's an odd specific distance, do you need water for that?
    I generally only do 1 hour races and don't take anything out.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

thanks guys, very helpful.

its one long lap – around northface trail in grizedale so, im going to have to pace my water intake to get the best out of it.

i was thinking of taking some jelly babies with me – i cant stomach the gels. what else do people eat while racing??

oldgit -im not sure how long it'll take so thats why im struggling to decide how much drink to take with me. its part of a duathlon, but im just doing the riding!

njee20
    Free Member

I would recommend taking some water definitely, 1hr cross races are different.

For me, 1 500ml water bottle (usually not quite full) per 25 minute lap, get someone to hand you a fresh one each lap. I use Zym tablets for racing, or High 5 with some Elete water. I very rarely finish a bottle on a lap.

If you only have a Camelbak then 1 litre will be fine.

Edit: for one long lap, I'd still personally carry one big (750ml) bottle, you'd probably be fine with 1 litre, do you normally drink a lot?

It's only going to be 90 mins or so, you don't really need to eat anything, maybe a gel if you feel you're flagging, I wouldn't bother with Jelly Babies or anything. You should be trying too hard to be able to chew anything.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One litre is loads for 15 miles.

Jelly babies are good for a sugar boost.

oldgit
    Free Member

We're all different, then I'd probably go for a 750ml water and gel or shots in my pocket.
    You'll probably be so focused that you'll come back with the lot untouched.

Keva
    Free Member

15.5 miles ? One small water bottle, 500ml would do me and I probably wouldn't even find the time to drink half of that. Hydrate properly before would probably be a better idea.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

nice one, i'll just stick to 1L and probably some shot bloks (just found a couple of packs!!) 😀

bit off topic, but any idea how long 25k should take? im moderately fit (hopefully). i was hoping for around 1:30 – 1:45

crazy-legs

NFT you can do in about 40 mins if you're properly beasting it. 1.30 is towards the leisurely end of the spectrum even for non-racer types.
    One 750ml bottle will be fine round that distance and it'll save you having any weight on your back. As mentioned above, make sure you're well hydrated / fed beforehand and have a bottle of recovery drink handy for when you finish.

Good luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘how much water/fluid do you carry when racing?’ is closed to new replies.