Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • How much to spend on a ring?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

The engagement sort. A months salary? A weeks salary?

Discuss. I need to know…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think traditionally, it's about a months salary. However, if she knows what you normally spend on a bike, expect her to expect a lot more!

jam-bo

what you can afford.

months salary is bollocks dreamt up by de beers marketing department.

AndyP
    Free Member

]I think traditionally, it's about a months salary.
    indeed. And yet a month's salary goes much further in, say, Birmingham Jewellry Quarter, than, say, DeBeers…;)

meikle_partans
    Free Member

what you can afford. i spent a months salary but it was back when i worked in a shop and had a minimum wage job so it wasnt that much. I designed it myself tho with the help of a shop in Aberdeen, which was good fun. Having said that my wife wasnt happy with the lack of bling and bought herself a three diamond eternity ring to make up for it! women, what a lot of crazies.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Remember though the whole engagement ring thing is invented by De Beers! I would say spend whatever you want on something you know she will like. She need never know how much it cost and if she is disappointed you didn't spend enough then cancel the engagement and call her a "stuck up cow". Just my opinion 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nothing.
    Tell her it would be obscene to put a fiscual value on your love.
    Unless of course she does tricks 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I got the wife one from G H Moore in Birmingham. They work with Ti and use reasonable quality stones rather than just big stones.

Do a little research on the 4 Cs

I also decided to get a certified stone. Wife then lost the certificate!

clubber
    Free Member

What you think is right and can afford. Ignore all the 'one month/week/3 months' etc 'rules' as they were made up by jewellers.

IIRC at the time, my wife's engagement ring was around 1/3 to 1/2 of my monthly take home salary and that bought a perfectly nice ring that she was happy with.

mamadirt
    Free Member

a month's salary

What a load of tosh – what does it matter how much it cost or the size of the diamond – just buy her the one she likes (if it costs more than a month's salary then so be it 😉 ). Personally I'm not a bling person (unless it's bike related 😉 ) so mine cost comparatively very little (dainty diamond set into a flat narrow band with curved shape at the front) but I still love it to bits 32 years later. There's a jeweller's advert on the USA online radio station which I listen to, which goes something like this . . . 'getting engaged is the most stressful time of your life . . .'???? Chill out . . . whatever happened to fun?

Ewan
    Free Member

Well hopefully it won't prove to be stressful!

The above kind of agrees with my thinking. A months salary would put quite a dent in my wedding / honeymoon fund, so I suspect I won't go that high…

So far we've (I kinda gave the game away, so figured best get her something she likes!) looked at a few rings and i've discovered you basically get what you pay for. Certificated stones are more expensive, and more shiney. Hmmm.

My mates missus reckons, 1p more than my most expensive bike. However, i have ensured my missus hasn't heard that… quite hard to argue against!

Moses

As above, the "month's salary " bit was a mid-80's marketing ploy to improve sales. In the 70s, I spent a week's wages and that was more than enough.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I like munqe-chick's approach. 🙂

If she'll not object, buying anything other than diamonds makes your money go rather further.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

whatever you do dont try re-educating your wife about the fact that there is nothing intrinsicly beautiful or special about a diamond and that she has a deep desire for diamonds because of a set of manipulative soceital pressures. dont do that.

also dont point out the basic economic principle of opportunity cost. dont argue that rather than a tiny piece of metal and stone you could have a wonderful holiday together. probably not the best option.

dont tell her that as an otherwise highly intelligent woman this should all be quite clear to her and that she has fallen in your estimation as a result of this childish desire to extract a large amount of money from you for the sole purpose of showing all her friends a shiny thing.

this is not the wise course of action.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

A months wage is a reasonable guide I think.

Try to look ahead as well, she will be wearing it for life (hopefullly!). Remember that if your spending power is likely to increase in the future then what you think is nice now may look cheap to you in the future.

When I bought my wifes 5 years ago I thought it was pretty special (and it was on my meagre income then) but looking at it now it looks pretty cheap and I would have bought a much nicer one now.

MrNutt
    Free Member

about 2k, that said you could buy an arab strap or similar for considerably less! 😀

BigJohn

Go to the diamond quarter in Amsterdam, buy a stone (very cheaply) and they will set it for you. I don't know how you might spend the couple of days while you wait for it to be made though 😈 There's a similar place in Birmingham, but without the entertainment.

Although according to QVC you can get some fantastic Diamonique that women PREFER to diamonds for less than £30

clubber
    Free Member

looking at it now it looks pretty cheap and I would have bought a much nicer one now.

There will always be something out there that looks 'nicer' because it costs more. I just don't see it. Similarly I could afford something a lot more expensive than I bought now but the ring my wife has is what was right then and it's special because of what it means rather because of any monetary value.

xc-steve
    Free Member

When I went ring shopping, I went to all the jewellers who were all selling the standard designs for bux, went to a small market store and got a more unique ring, it might be completly fake but at least I knew it was something Mrs XC-Steve liked!

Another Jewellers had the cheek of saying, buy this metal/stone as its price is going up so should you break up you can sell it for more… WTF!

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Do women all love diamonds?
    Is it a bit presumptious to assume that's what they'll want or am I just abnormal?

When we decided to get married, i told him not to even think about it, it would be a complete waste of cash. however, a pair of hope brakes would be nice…

Taff
    Free Member

I think tradition is 3 months isn't it. That's what my mrs told me! I think the modern approach is one months salary [after deductions :lol:]. Think I'll be spending about 1-1.5k because I want something nice but would rather pump money into the wedding itself.

As clubber said it;s what it symbolising that will be the important aspect not how much it cost.

organic355
    Free Member

I can highly recommend this company, if you wanted to design your own ring:

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/build-your-own-diamond-ring

Even better if you have friend relatives in the USA, as you can use the .com version, get it shipped to them and avoid the VAT.

Ewan
    Free Member

3 months lol!

Totally agree with the buy something that'll be nice in 10/20/30 years time sentiment. The one i've got my eye on is a stretch, but it's really quite nice. I guess if I could buy it with pocket change, it would miss the point somewhat.

(Also agree with the whole diamond ring being a De Beers invention. But, seriously, what can you do? Women are mental.)

Ewan
    Free Member

Has anyone used that blue nile place? Seems much cheaper than goldsmiths!

robdob
    Free Member

Mrs Robdob wanted a £16 silver Celtic design ring the most, so I bought that. For our wedding rings she has a £20 plain silver band which she loves, and could easily replace if lost or damaged. I got a £70 plain titanium ring as I had a manual job and I didn't want to take it off at all. It's had paving slabs dropped on it without a scratch so it was money well spent.

I love it that we have cheap rings as I think it makes it really special. Plus my wife doesn't need overpriced rocks on her hands to make her look good and she has no interest in showing such things off.

I may be in a minority but if my future wife had expected an expensive ring (a months salary, are you kidding?) I probably wouldn't have married her!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I designed and had made my wifes engagement ring. I also don't do the whole big diamond thing so she has a sapphire with a couple of diamonds in platinum. It cost much less than a high street jobbie and she loves it.

crikey
    Free Member

Mrs Robdob wanted a £16 silver Celtic design ring the most, so I bought that. For our wedding rings she has a £20 plain silver band which she loves, and could easily replace if lost or damaged. I got a £70 titanium ring as I had a manual job and I didn't want to take it off at all. It's had paving slabs dropped on it without a scratch so it was money well spent.

I love it that we have cheap rings as I think it makes it really special. Plus my wife doesn't need overpriced rocks on her hands to make her look good and she has no interest in showing such things off.

I may be in a minority but if my future wife had expected an expensive ring (a months salary, are you kidding?) I probably wouldn't have married her!

Most sensible contribution by far.

It's not about the ring….

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oh, and hope it's not too early for congratulations 😀 . Have fun!

organic355
    Free Member

Has anyone used that blue nile place? Seems much cheaper than goldsmiths!

Yes I got my fiances engagement ring on there, I highly recommend them. I also learnt a lot about diamonds in the process.

Use the slidy bars here and set your criteria. You can then add a few to a short list and email them for advice, they are very very helpful.

I think the ring I eventually got was around 1-1/2 to 2 x my monthly salary, but when I got it valued it was worth around 3 x!!!

Dont go to a high street store you will get ripped off!!!!

jackthedog
    Free Member

whatever you do dont try re-educating your wife about the fact that there is nothing intrinsicly beautiful or special about a diamond and that she has a deep desire for diamonds because of a set of manipulative soceital pressures. dont do that.

also dont point out the basic economic principle of opportunity cost. dont argue that rather than a tiny piece of metal and stone you could have a wonderful holiday together. probably not the best option.

dont tell her that as an otherwise highly intelligent woman this should all be quite clear to her and that she has fallen in your estimation as a result of this childish desire to extract a large amount of money from you for the sole purpose of showing all her friends a shiny thing.

Also agree with the whole diamond ring being a De Beers invention. But, seriously, what can you do? Women are mental.

I may be in a minority but if my future wife had expected an expensive ring (a months salary, are you kidding?) I probably wouldn't have married her

Agreed. The whole expensive diamond ring thing seems like some bizzarre international hysteria.

dickydutch

I agree with robdob. A month's salary seems to be an overkill. WHat's more, I know my SO doesn't expect that. I think lots of people pray on "wedding fever". In much the same way that the average wedding costs thousands of pounds. What a load of old tosh. I'm all for a nice ceremony, but theres no need for it to cost thousands. In my mind anyway. Money better spent on a longer honeymoon!

BigDummy
    Free Member

It makes/made considerable sense (a) as a demonstration to her (and to her family) that the prospective husband has the financial wherewithal to look after her, and (b) as insurance against her struggling to find a replacement husband if he breaks off the engagement leaving the impression that she may be "damaged goods".

For the overwhelming majority of British couples today it makes almost no sense at all and is simply a very expensive treat that many women feel entitled to, after which they are allowed to spend a further massive sum on a wedding. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Agreed.

Ewan
    Free Member

Organic – interested to hear about your experience of the blue nile place… am I correct in thinking they're shipped from the states? Any idea what the duties like? Also do you know what the lead time is – I was thinking new years eve / day for the event in question, so i may have left it a bit late…

mudshark
    Free Member

I went to Hatton Garden and told my wife to get what she wanted – a risky strategy that relied on her levels of acceptable guilt.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Perilous indeed. 😯

Shandy
    Free Member

If you are trying to find out how hard you are going to be hit, you need to go to a decent jewellers and ask a load of questions. You will find out quite quickly what all the variables are and how they impact on the price and then you can make your mind up from there.

mudshark
    Free Member

Perilous indeed

Of course I wouldn't have given her the option if I was worried she'd go mad…indeed probably wouldn't have wanted to marry her.

Are some women worried what others will think if their stone is too small? There's a trade off between size and quality for most.

Ewan
    Free Member

Are some women worried what others will think if their stone is too small? There's a trade off between size and quality for most.

😆 That's what I tell the ladies anyway…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘How much to spend on a ring?’ is closed to new replies.