Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How much to get a frame resprayed
  • Olly
    Free Member

following on from my "show me your reworked old style road bikes"

How much to get a frame sandblasted back to bare metal, and resprayed?

I would do it myself, but we dont have any outdoor space/garage either at home, or at the office, so the closest place i can do it is at my dads house, which is 300 miles away (annoyingly, he has a sandblaster, and a spray booth, but i cant afford a week spent up there sitting around watching paint dry/harden)

was thinking i would get it sprayed in a base colour, then have it back, and apply pinstripe and details myself, before sending it back for a coat of laquer….

I'm thinking cream, with red pinstripe, except, it might clash with orange conti tyre logos….

Argos Cycles is a good starting point. Call em and get a quote.

tinsy
    Free Member

Argos are very highly regarded, but may be expensive depending on your build, maybe a powdercoating would do, can be had from about £40 and it lasts well too..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2nd powder coating, the finish isn't quite as perfect (more likely to get orange peel, harder to coat sharp edges like luggs etc) as the places are more used to doing 'industrial' jobs. saying that my road frame I had done was near perfect, just a little thin arround the edges on the lugs, probably wouldnt have been noticable with any colour other than white, and will get covered by the lining anyway. No need to laquer either.

But can be done cheeply for £20 or very well for £50 and should last a fair while.

If your in Reading theres a place on cardif road that did a top notch job on mine, had a look at some of their other stuff and its all top notch as well.

tron
    Free Member

The theory would say that powder coat will do sharp edges better than paint – any book on wet painting will tell you that paint is always thinnest on sharp edges.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well in that case PC is thinner than paint?

tron
    Free Member

Quite possibly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How much to get a frame resprayed’ is closed to new replies.