• This topic has 42 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • How much seatpost do you have showing?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

After a post yesterday i was concerned i had too much for the fashion police on show!!

Just measured and from clamp to rails is 25cm – hardly a lot imo!! If that is not meant to be – why do people make 400mm+ seatposts eg thomson?

There is a good 120mm in the frame if not more

si-wilson
    Free Member

Say what?

wwaswas

don't worry – I have about the same on all my frames – as long as the reach is right for you then a smaller mainframe isn't really a problem.

And a Ti post in my medium inbred gives a good bit of comfort 'twang' too.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

si – some tosser who has never seen me reckons i have aframe too small as i have a lot of seatpost on show!!

wwaswas

r_r – I think it was mostly people doing the 'taking the mick out of new bike picture' thing tbh (certainly was with my comments).

mrh86

Nothing wrong with lots of seatpost showing in my opinion

^ now with inline post though.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

People were just taking the mick Rob. You do it when people post pics of bikes 😉

If the bike is comfortable for you then that's all that counts.

sockpuppet

about this much:

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have loads of post showing, I like a small frame to throw around, despite being 6'1. I'm sure people were just having a chuckle.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

There is nothing wrong with it, it just means you bought the wrong sized frame – like the two guys above!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez Rob do you think about anything other than bicycles?

jimmerhimself
    Free Member

Horses for courses. My Turner looks like a kids bike, but as Coffeeking says having a small frame to throw around is brilliant assuming it's been designed that way and has the right reach and the front end isn't too low.

_tom_
    Free Member

About 24-25cm I think. Small frame but it feels great.

druidh
    Free Member

jimmer himself – Member
    Horses for courses. My Turner looks like a kids bike, but as Coffeeking says having a small frame to throw around is brilliant assuming it's been designed that way and has the right reach and the front end isn't too low.

And there's the rub…. Lots of folk seem to be riding around on frames which the manufacturer would say were too small for them according to any published height/sizing charts. Of course, I'm sure the designers know less about these things than the elite STW hive mind.

poppa
    Free Member

I have a 410mm post because a 350mm is too short.

More standover means a longer post. Plus, i'd rather have a 410mm post than a 350mm at max extension because when I did that I experienced a lot more flexing.

poppa
    Free Member

I blame it on the desire of the average MTBer to buy hardcore MTB equipment when all they really do is mince about on terrain that the average XC racer could demolish on a 80mm travel hardtail.

Like me.

EDIT: I meant that i'm the average MTBer, not the XC racer!

tinsy
    Free Member

The old small frame thing for throwing around seems less in favour with the bike mags, in a recent article I read they were extolling the virtues of a slightly more roomy cockpit (sorry I hate that term) allowing for more comfort and better climbing.

RR I think with the snowy background the fact that the dropper post is slim (for half of it at least) and the raised seatube design of your Giant just makes it look longer than it really is..

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

what about the days of 23inch frames and 10cm of seat tube poking out. Much better!

Rickos
    Free Member

I have lots showing when I'm sat climbing up a fire road. I have long legs for my height, so a larger frame would be too long. The person that took the p!ss must be perfectly proportioned.

verses

I always get told I have too much post showing (matron) but any less and I get knee problems due to not extending my legs enough.

The frame's a 19.5" and I'm 5'11", so I'd not want anything bigger.

EDIT: Hideously mismatching chain-ring was bought for my previous frame (blue) and is soon to be replaced 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

RR didnt you have that great looking Prophet?

wwaswas

great looking Prophet

he's ditched it for a Giant that doesn't quite fit 😉

Keva
    Free Member

my saddle is pretty much level with the bars.

_tom_
    Free Member

Since we're posting pics, here's my do-it-all hardtail in sitdown mode

If I had anything bigger it'd be useless for jumping and downhill. I prefer a shorter reach/cockpit anyway, my old Rockhopper was far too long and felt stretched. Planning on getting a thomson post soon though as I don't know if an alu post with all my weight on it is a good idea. It is a beefy post though, NC17 with apparently reinforced tubing. So maybe I'll be ok.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    cynic-al – Member

Jeez Rob do you think about anything other than bicycles?
    Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

rich coming from the bloke that posts one every one of my threads!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

And there's the rub…. Lots of folk seem to be riding around on frames which the manufacturer would say were too small for them according to any published height/sizing charts. Of course, I'm sure the designers know less about these things than the elite STW hive mind.

TBH I have no idea what size Giant made my NRS for, I've never checked the charts, all I know is that I bought a medium based on approx geometry of my previous bike and it feels nice set up as I have it 🙂 I've no real interest in how Giant saw it sized. But what do i know 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Of course, I'm sure the designers know less about these things than the elite STW hive mind.

I'd say fit is subjective. Bez' bike looks v odd to me for instance, but it works for him, and I doubt it was designed to be used that way…

wwaswas

"Bez' bike looks v odd to me"

I think, on that one, you're in the majority!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Interesting.I

a

t appear to be too extreme.

I think the problem for me was that there was a big jump between sizes with Giant.

19" frames in Specialized and an Orange P7 I tried do seem to fit a little better.

I had been considering getting an 18" Scandal,which would give a little more reach but would show even more seatpost………..

_tom_
    Free Member

^I'm shamelessly plugging this everywhere I can, I have a 19" Rockhopper that I really need to sell, sounds like it'll fit you well if you like 19" spesh 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Nice try Tom….. 😆

Denis99
    Free Member

Interesting thread,I recently bought a 19" P7 (2010), I'm 5 11 tall with a 33 " inside leg.

I felt it was too big a frame with not enough stand over – didn't measure how much post was sticking out – but it looked enough. Just didn't feel right on it (lack of stand over , more than anything else). The P7 doesn't have much in way of a dropped top tube.

Since bought a new medium Cotic Soul – 250mm of seat post to the saddle rails, but feels much better (and definitely more stand over).

As others have said it depends on the frame and how individuals like the ride – probably the best in terms of fit that I've had was a large Turner Flux.

alpin
    Free Member

post goes up….. forks go down, bar goes forward.

post goes down….. forks go up, bar come back.

mugsys_m8

With a lot of seatpost showing, you can end up with a lot of vert height diff between bars and saddle.

coffeeking
    Free Member

With a lot of seatpost showing, you can end up with a lot of vert height diff between bars and saddle.

Award for most obvious statement of the week over here please 😀 😆

jedi

i change mine about, usually 8 inches

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Is it like Victorians & ankles – show too much and people get giddy & offended?

coffeeking
    Free Member

As Jedi says, don't most people change it depending on what riding they're doing?

Tim
    Free Member

If you dont have to get the longest post you can,…then your frames too big for you 🙂

br
    Free Member

20" frame, and long legs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘How much seatpost do you have showing?’ is closed to new replies.