Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • How may on here build your own wheels?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just wondering how many folk on here bother to built their own wheels and why?

For me,

I've probably made 4 or 5 wheels so far and to me it was the last step in being able to fully maintain / build my bike for me and I was sick of dinging rims and then having to tweak to remove wobbles etc.

The wheels I have now (only 1 set shared for 2 bikes) were built about 2 years ago and have been all over the UK on my hardtail and DHing for 4 days in the Alps, and 4 days singletracking in the Alps on the Enduro. I've only had to twist a few nipples to take a ding out once.

I love the fact that I've built my wheels. They were built to be tough

CK rear hub (my 40th birthday prezzie) , ACI stainless DB spokes Mavic 729 rim
    Superstar 20mm front hub, ACI stainless DB spokes Mavic 729 rim.

househusband

Two pairs, both XM819 rims so not the easiest to start on. Not sure if I'll bother again as you buy them fully built for less – and the set of Pro2/Flows from Wheelpro are far better built/tensioned than mine ever have been!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I did a few times. No need for now though as I have more wheels (pairs) than bikes.

baronspudulike
    Free Member

I've built a few as I had some hubs on rims that weren't right for what I wanted, the cost of getting them built on new rims was high. Gota nipple wrench, turned my bike upside down as a jig and refered to a certain webpage. It's good that I can now build/maintain my whole bike, I have ended up fixing a few peoples wheels though but its all good practice and I get the odd bottle of wine out of it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do.
    Mainly becasue I wanted to learn how to do it, but also so I can get cheap bits nobody wants and make wheels out of them! 🙂

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Not yet… Got the rims, getting a Superstar Switch EVO rear hub and just spokes to buy.

Not hijacking, but any recommendations on websites to use for reference?

Ta!

coatesy
    Free Member

Learnt to true mine because I couldn't rely on local shops' standard of work,full builds were the next step. Now actually working in a bike shop full time, probably been building professionally for the last 15yrs.Don't see the point in buying a fully built wheel if all I need to replace is a rim or hub.

cookeaa

I've built a few now. Works out at twelve wheels over the last ten years, so I couldn't call myself a frequent builder. I've probably bought more wheels in the same period. Is still good fun if you hav a spare wet afternoon, but sadly I don't get many of those now. Oh for spokd lengths look up 'spocalc.xls' on google, handy tool.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Couple of hundred over the last 8 years….not all mine!

keavo
    Free Member

built some, mainly because i enjoy it if i have some time on my hands. keeps me away from d.i.y. or decorating:-)

MSP

Built a couple of pairs of wheels, just for the challenge, and they have lasted better than any bought wheels. I have never been able to true wheels, and still can't, but as long as you are methodical in your build, that doesn't matter.

bassspine
    Free Member

yep.
    largely because of the satisfaction of taking a pile of bits and riding away on it.

(I have an incomplete chainmail shirt I'm working on sporadically too, I'm just a sucker for that 'make loads of teeny bits into one single thing' game)

13thfloormonk

Have been doing for a few years now (used to teach classes in wheelbuilding so needed to stay sharp!).

The first set of wheels I didn't build myself were slack and wobbly within a few rides, so that vindicates the self build option anyway!

clubber
    Free Member

I do – done 100s of them – did it for a shop for a while but now just for myself and for friends. For me it's just because I'm constantly swapping bits – the idea of having to take a wheel to a shop to be trued/built seems crazy to me. It's really very easy.

matthew_h
    Free Member

A year ago I'd never built one but now I've probably built 700+ but then it was my job.

Now working elsewhere and still building wheels there but nowhere near as many a week now.

It was something I wanted to learn as it was about the only task on bike that I had not done so think I've succeeded there

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

I've made five to date, takes me ages but I really enjoy it!

RustyMac

Sorry to hijack you thred a little but i am looking at getting into building my own wheels (winter project), i have got the guide from the wheelpro website and am going to be shortly looking into building the truing stand in his guide. I to have not been terribly impressed with my local shops wheel building skills and with the price i just paid for what i got i feel it is time I taught myself. Have you guys got any hints, tips, tricks or advice you can pass on to a newbie?

Cheers

Rusty

clubber
    Free Member

Have you guys got any hints, tips, tricks or advice you can pass on to a newbie?

Follow the guide, don't rush and don't stress – if it all goes wrong just take it all to pieces 🙂

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

The Wheelpro book has everything you need, just follow that, it's all there. 🙂

barrykellett
    Free Member

Very satisfying

The cost of spokes though makes it prohibitive in a lot of situations though. Especially if building road wheels as CRC dont stock long enough spokes at their rock bottom prices 🙁

mildred

I've built loads over the years – as mentioned above, I found that the wheels I'd bought went slack and wobbly after the first few rides, so I was forever tweaking.

I now don't bother with a truing stand or dishing tool and can do it by eye, with the final tweak whilst they're mounted in the frame/forks. Most important thing I found was using the correct length spokes, and that UST rims are a bastard.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have built the wheelset that is currently on my hardtail. Some old Hope bulbs with a 721 rear/719 front combo.

The rear has lasted two downhilling trips to the Alps (on a hardtail) and loads of general xc/dh/jump stuff in the uk. Ive barely had to tweak it since building. I probably wouldnt bother letting anyone else build wheels for me, if you take your time and follow a good guide then you'll probably end up with a better wheel than what you could buy from a shop.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup first wheel I build was crap – last wheel was good IMHO 😉

sv

Me too, built a few sets now using the Wheelpro book/stand. Also bought a set of Hope Hoops (Pro2/Flows) and was shocked at the low tension!

MSP

sv – Member

Me too, built a few sets now using the Wheelpro book/stand. Also bought a set of Hope Hoops (Pro2/Flows) and was shocked at the low tension!

Yep, the first set I built was flow rims on hope pro II hubs, before they built them as a factory set, when I needed a new set of wheels the price of the hoops was cheaper than the component parts, so I bought them, then a couple of months later I needed to rebuild them with new spokes (used new spokes because I don't trust spokes that have been ridden on badly tensioned wheels).

lovewookie

built a few, mostly as I like the ability to switch rims when I knacker them.

Blingest were a set of AC hubs, DTrevs with gold alu nipples and Stans Olympics. Stupid light.

Mostly I like to be able to spec up alternate coloured nipples and funny lacing patterns without being chastised by some mechanic. 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've been building my own for about 10 years, but lately I've found that the cost of the parts works out to be more than you can buy a ready made wheel, I'm more confident in a wheel I've built myself though.

clubber
    Free Member

barrykellett – have a look at the link below – ACI DB spokes @ 26p each.

http://www.sdeals.com/oscommerce/index.php/cPath/35_54

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've built a few, early attempts are a little ropey, but I'm getting better all the time. I quite enjoy doing it too.

AlasdairMc

I've done a couple, just two rear wheels using those £7.50 Deore hubs. I reasoned a new hub plus spokes was cheaper than a freehub body and bearings, and think they went quite well actually.

My second build was using old spokes and alloy nipples though, so I reckon I'll re-do it when I get the chance.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have done a couple in the past but as said above i can nearly buy a fully built wheel for less than the seperate parts.

although i am reasonable good at putting them together i am never 100% sure that the tension is enough.

barrykellett
    Free Member

clubber – Member

barrykellett – have a look at the link below – ACI DB spokes @ 26p each.

http://www.sdeals.com/oscommerce/index.php/cPath/35_54

Cheers man
    Are the ACI spokes as good as their DT Swiss comparable?
    I know Merlin use ACI on their builds unless you specify DT swiss as an upgrade so they must be ok?

D0NK

I built one recently, didn't put enough tension in it, quick test ride was fine but it loosened right up on the first proper ride, proper waggly. Got LBS to sort it as I'd lost all confidence in my build. Gonna have another go soon as I got one that needs a new rim. No way would I build a brand new one tho, cheaper to buy ready built.

clubber
    Free Member

Barry – no idea – I've never done lab tests 🙂 BUT I've never had a problem with them on any of the many wheels I've built using them…

Just bought more last week if that's any recommendation…

IainGillam
    Free Member

Built a pair, was going to build another set as the rims on my commuter were worn down but the price of rims was more expensive than new wheels so I didn't bother. Can't see me bothering to do another set when complete wheels usually work out to be cheaper.

Iain

barrykellett
    Free Member

Clubber
    I have a new commuting flip flop wheel in the pipeline which I may just hurry along now and try the ACI spokes then.

Come on PayDay

Onzadog
    Free Member

I built a wheel truing jig and dishing stick for my GCSE technology project in the early 90s and been building my own ever since. It costs more than a factory built wheel and it takes me much much longer than a pro builder but the end result is a much more evenly balanced wheel than I've even seen come out of a shop. I only build for me and close freinds due to the time element. It is however, very satisfying.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Done a few sets over the yers. Started off because I'd been knocked off by a hit and run driver who kindly destroyed my rear wheel. As an unemployed 16-year old, I had no spare cash to get them built after laying out for new rim, spokes and hub. So I used the front one as guide, and built it up. Just used the frame and brakes as a jig.

I've built all my wheels this way, and never used a proper jig except for when I worked in a bike shop for a while. I've never had a single failure or even a snapped spoke. Hardly ever have to true them either.

I'm not quick, but I enjoy it. I'd trust a set I built myself over any others.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Mainly becasue I wanted to learn how to do it, "

Ditto – I had some dismantled wheel which I used to work through the procedure but binned this practice wheel. The second one used a new hub and spokes on a good old rim and went fairly well so now I keep it as a backup wheel.

I'd build more but it's cheaper to buy factory built and then tweak them.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I do it through neccessity, having broken a wheel with a hope hub in I felt I had no choice but to try and fix it myself

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘How may on here build your own wheels?’ is closed to new replies.