Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How many self-employed couples on here?
  • And do you work together, or separate businesses? And how are you finding it at the moment.

Me, I’m a sparky, the missus is a barber. The only effect of the recession I’ve encountered (touch wood) was the redundancy that enabled me to set up on my own.

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy has been self employed for the last 15 years, and this year shes taken more time out due to choice rather than lack of work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not together – but missus is a graphic designer. Anyone who doesn’t know what I do at this stage… 🙂

It was a pretty shit first six months but I’m run off my feet at the moment…and it’s looking good for next year. Mrs deadly has been pretty busy all year – combination of lots of varied clients has helped with this.

Not counting chickens yet though. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

We’ve been self employed for about 6 years now. Mrs S does interim finance director/management accountancy, Im a real estate/financial analyst.

We both work through the same company that we created for this purpose. Its handy having your own company. It’s easier still having an accountant for a wife to do all the tedious stuff like VAT and Co. a/cs.

Im doing less at the moment so that Mrs S can do more, and commit more to her career while I look after the house and kids more. I still do a day or two a week for select clients and like the combination of domestic, DIY and paying work – as well as free time during daylight hours 🙂

maccruiskeen

We’re both self employed. I work across a number of sectors – film and TV design/build, contemporary art exhibitions and public art, bits of interior fit out, and weird things people phone up and ask me to do – like grind the balls off a fibreglass reindeer. All pretty scant markets in this neck of the woods, even the bollock lopping, but working across all them them seems to work out ok – typically everything slots together, although last year was a shocker. Biggest job of the year turned out to be for a rotten (public sector) client and the rest of the year was spent chasing the debt and repairing the damage.

The girlf is a documentary film maker – hard year for her, repeatedly getting 99% of the way to a commission. Her work is very honest and television is uncomfortable with that. I put a lot of effort into supporting her work, especially when its difficult. As far as I’m concerned the work I do is only useful, her work is important.

We’ve worked together on art/film cross over projects in the past but business wise we’re currently separate entities although we might set up a company for us both to use, and I’ve a notion to go into production so we can work together more formally.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Mrs Eye and myself both work through the same company:

She’s a stylist (advertising, props and wardrobe) and I’m a graphic designer.

She also does the day to day admin as I’m usually busier than she is. We are starting to work more together on projects, as we’re trying to form ‘our how the hell do we get out of London, move to Wales and still earn a living doing what we do escape plan’.

The recession hasn’t really affected me (yet) but the OH has been a bit quieter that previous years.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Me – LBS, Wifey has a small bakery.
    I’ve been selling less bikes but the workshop has been busier than ever this year.
    The bakery is on the up since Sainsbury opened a ‘Local’ next door in the summer. They seem to have smartened up the area and given more people reason to stop and take notice.

midlifecrashes

Mrsmidlife is a lawyer, I’m a residential landlord.

Recession isn’t affecting too much, law is more affected by rule changes and legislation than markets, so there is always a change process to manage. As a small time landlord, the lack of mortgage availability is driving demand up for decent low(ish) cost homes, which is what I’m into. Looking to buy at the mo, and house prices are dropping round here. Really what I’m doing is building the pension fund, her indoors makes the main income.

br
    Free Member

Us, IT/Business consultants through the same Ltd.

Quiet couple of years since the credit crunch hit in 2008, rates haven’t yet got back to where they were – and a lot of clients seem to take far too long to make up their minds (and then do nothing…).

zippykona

Me and mrs zip have a gift shop things are pretty stable. Christmas is our barometer so we shall see. We won’t go hungry this year though.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Me and Mrs BS are both self employed.

I’m a kitchen and bathroom fitter and she is a sports/remedial masseur who runs hers own clinic and also subs to British Cycling, both pretty busy and booked up but never get too settled…..

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I run a small confidential waste and recycling company and the Mrs is a Dr albeit self-employed.

TatWink
    Free Member

Me IT Test Manager while the better half runs her own dog grooming company.

I’ve had a few weeks off here and there in between projects while the missus has had increased demand if anything and is just about to hit peak season as everyone wants their dogs to be sparkly for Christmas.

All in all it’s been a good year thankfully.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Both myself and my wife are partners in a recruitment agency , works really well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How many self-employed couples on here?’ is closed to new replies.