Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • How good is Giant's Maestro suspension system! (Statement, not a question)
  • AB
    Free Member

It really is bloody magic!

Have tried quite a few of the major suspension designs over the last few years and nothing else comes close imo.

The weird thing is that it doesn't even feel like it's working, but of course it is. Just zero pedal bob – even with out of the saddle.

Just thought I'd share that.

As you were.

chakaping
    Free Member

I know that, you know that, but the badge snobs on here will never believe it.

😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Isn't it very similar to the DW link suspension systems?

jackthedog
    Free Member

+1

It's a great system.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Agreed. The system is great but the badge snobs and the 'Boutique Bike Brigade' will just never believe it.

I do think Giants tend to be a little 'underforked' though.

caledonia
    Free Member

Agreed with the OP
    Agree with the 'underforked' statement also.
    My bike has just woken up with a new set of Recons
    It now rides like a demon compared with shocking OEM forks.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Can you start a statement with how? Anyway, yeah it's a great system, especially considering the price vs boutique brands. It does have its flaws though – try braking over continuous rough stuff at speeds and a reign or glory will shit itself. They feel horrible, unbalanced and unpredictable. Some sort of floating brake arm would maybe cure it, but what do I know.

firestarter
    Free Member

talking of badges and boutique etc. 🙂 i found the system on my anthem fantastic bettered only by my turner with pushed shock. I prefer the ride on the turner but and its a big but id have loved to try a pushed shock on the anthem as i found i just couldnt get it quite set up how id have liked where having it pushed would have sorted it. All the giants are great bikes thru the range including road ones 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

Giant's Maestro suspension system is good!

Would be a statement.

Out of interest, has anyone bought the basic Anthem X and ebay-ed the bits as a cheap way to get a frame only? Did it work out?

firestarter
    Free Member

oh and agree with under forked bit tried 100mm on the anthem very nice and played around on my mates trance with adjustable forks on it 140mm was great 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Never tried 100mm on my Anthem, but went from 100 to 120mm on the Trance that replaced it – and stuck a 160mm fork on my Reign as soon as I got it.

Both feel just right to me – and probably benefit from the slightly higher BB as well as longer travel and slacker HA.

Has anybody tried a 140mm fork on the Trance X I wonder?

tim41
    Free Member

I've put a maxle / U-turn 140mm Revelation on my 08 Trance X. Had a few niggly probelms with the fork itself but as an overall package on the bike it seems to work very well. The bike performed far better than my abilities during a week with Bike Verbier.

It's my first full suss after years riding hardtails so I can't really compare it with anything else, but I'm very happy with it.

mboy
    Free Member

Have had a Giant Reign X for about 6 months now, and from the first ride on it I was blown away just how good the Maestro is. On a bike with 6.7" of rear travel, I get almost zero pedal bob, and that's with the Fox shock propedal setting set just about all the way out!

The only 2 things I can think of as slight negatives on my Reign X are that the Maestro suspension design pretty much necessitates a loooong wheelbase, which means the bike doesn't wheelie easily and it's not as easy to get round tighter twisty stuff as a shorter bike, but it is MEGA stable at speed! The only other negative is more to do with the Fox DHX Air shock blowing through its travel too easily, no matter how you set it up! Hardly Giant's fault directly, especially as most Reign X's also came with a Fox DHX Coil shock (which sorts the problem so I'm assured), but it does exacerbate the low BB height a touch too.

Anyway, for me it's pretty much the ultimate ride anywhere and do anything bike. Setup with Fox 36's, light but strong kit, tubeless wheels etc. it's light enough to ride all day (about 33lb at the mo), efficient enough not to worry about wasting energy on the climbs (only the bikes weight counts against it, but I'd rather an extra 5lb of weight than a crap climbing bike!), and now I've got the i900 adjustable seatpost on mine, I can drop the saddle at a moments notice and the playtime begins! 😀

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My wife runs Pikes on a Trance X. It seems to handle well, but after a nasty crash (not off the Trance X, off a RM Flatline) she's out of action for a while.

collie
    Free Member

Great system, and I like the fact that you don't see many about compared with Orange's, Santa Cruz's and the like – and yes I did try both of those brands before I bought my Trance X.
    I only realised how good the system was after I came off it for the first time going far faster than my skills allow!

Reign_Man
    Free Member

Yep, under forked is the only downside to the giants. Wife has a trance that we stuck on some 130mm recons, transformed the ride and feel completely and I bolted on a pair of fox 36 floats on my reign, much better head angle and ride, sweet as.

Wouldn't change, but saying that I would like an intense tracer!

Kit
    Free Member

I found the Reign kind of obliterated any wee bumps so just popping off things or chucking it about was pretty hard for me. Still, an ace bike and not sure I did the right thing swapping it for a Hustler…

freakcrab
    Free Member

I'd agree that it can obliterate bumps leaving you with less feel coming from the bike.
    I've got a Heckler and a Giant Anthem X and the Heckler is alot better on drops and jumps, but with 150mm travel versus 100mm on the Anthem X that's not surprising.
    But the Anthem X does have a way of efficiently hoovering up all the little bumps, especially noticable on rocky climbs, it just lets you keep going with the minimum of distruption.
    The Anthem X is a way more competent bike that it's travel would suggest and the Heckler is way better than it's, apparently, primitive suspension would suggest.
    To summarise, I like my bikes. 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

+1
    Trance with revs here 🙂
    its sexual.
    not been out on it in ages, as i ride my SS in the week (when i can be bothered)
    hopefully taking it down the Gap in breacon this weekend 😀

was thinking about a trance X and pikes, but i think i made the right decision.

head tube on mine is 7.5" long and makes baby jesus cry, but with the stem upside down like some kind of roadie, its perfect, and makes you look faster 😉
    infact, let me find you a picture….

chakaping
    Free Member

Why are you trying to hide your crankset Olly?

I know the Race Face stuff they spec them with is a bit naff, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about.

Dougal
    Free Member

Yes it is.

MtbCol
    Free Member

the Maestro system is quality, I've been running a Maestro Faith for a couple of years now and the 8" of travel is just fantastic.
    It sticks to trails like poo on a blanket and will absorb just about everything thrown in its path.
    The only downside is that it's bloody difficult to get big air on it unless you put some effort into the jump.
    Surprisingly, for a 8" travel bike, climbing isn't a no go area, run it with a twin ring setup and it'll actually dig in and give more traction for climbing when you drop it into granny. It's slow going, but that's down to the frame weight rather than the suspension system.

Old setup, have reverted to dual ring setup so I can pedal a bit up climbs instead of walk 🙄

kaiser
    Free Member

Hey Ollie..which model Trance is that and what size? (XL I presume)
    looks great btw

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

tim41 – Member

I've put a maxle / U-turn 140mm Revelation on my 08 Trance X. Had a few niggly probelms with the fork itself but as an overall package on the bike it seems to work very well. The bike performed far better than my abilities during a week with Bike Verbier.

It's my first full suss after years riding hardtails so I can't really compare it with anything else, but I'm very happy with it.

Are you me? Apart from the Verbier bit.

Loving it.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

16" 07 trance here with 130 revs and I find it great. I reckon it comes in around 29lbs. going to go tubeless next with chainset and seatpost being future upgrades
    used as trail centre and local xc but also a 4x killer. it absolutely flies!
    pic probably taken after a 4x/DJ session judging by that low saddle

Olly
    Free Member

Hi Hi.
    i bought it frame only, and built my XtC onto it. (my xtc was made up of completly upgraded parts, so basicly its a my "grandfathers hammer" jobby

the cranks are superstar aerozine actually, which shockingly, are ace, VERY narrow Q factor, so good for my gangly legs 🙂
    shart BB though, but its got a Hope on it now 🙂

"perfect build" in my mind 😉

Pro2s on 717s, (built by me 🙂 )

srams shifters, shimano mechs, full run outers.
    XT brakes.

It is indeed an XL, 2007

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Love the Maestro setup on my Reign. Soaks up everything and begs for more!.

Don't forget Giant are very good with warranties as well

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/its-definately-cracked-

nre
    Free Member

I'm on my second Trance and still love it:

chakaping
    Free Member

OK, here's my Maestro beauties…

Reign

Trance

Getting a bit excited about the new Faith, I must admit.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I'm on my second 4" Trance too. Bouth a 2008 frame only for less than £500 new in January. I've not ridden many other full-suss frames (as I'm loads bigger than all my other riding mates) so hard for me to compare performance, but I'm very happy with it. I quite like the idea of an Anthem X 29er, so we'll see what Giant come up with iver the next couple of years.

Unlike everyone else, I actually prefer mine with 100mm forks. Tried some 130s on my old frame (1st gen trance) and never got on with it. Didn't feel any benefit in the extra travel and it never felt that precise in the handling. They were Manitous though, which could go some lengths to explain why it felt crap. Got 100mm 09 Rebas on and they're ace!

sqwheeler

Joining in the Giant love-in. I've got an old school 2005 Trance, bought 2nd hand frame and built up, and it's lush. I'd agree with long(ish) forks – 130 recons on mine feel great. I do want one of those new Tron versions on the front page though (not bothered about the carbon, but the colour…)

beefy

Yep totally agree, got a second hand 2006 trance 3 for a song on the bay, was in great nick, had 4 inch forks and felt ok, put revelations on (5inch ones) and it is now amazing, feels bottomless, but never bobs. Will buy another frame when this one dies.

Best bike I have ever had.

ransos
    Free Member

Out of interest, has anyone bought the basic Anthem X and ebay-ed the bits as a cheap way to get a frame only? Did it work out?

That's what I did with my Trance (2007 version). I bought the basic one for £900, flogged most of the kit to a work colleague who was building up a commuter frame, forks went on ebay, then I specced it with a Pace 130mm fork, nice discs, Hope hubs, XT etc. It's a fantastic bike, and when I come to replace it I'll be buying another one.

You have to remember that the cheapest model is only about £100 more than the bare frame (IIRC) so if you are reasonably handy with bike building, it's the cheapest way to do it. It also means that you can get it on the Cycle to work scheme (complete bikes only and a £1000 limit).

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Yeah, but the cheap models don't come with the decent Fox shock. Reckon it makes a big difference though?

twohats
    Free Member

I know that, you know that, but the badge snobs on here will never believe it.

Agreed. The system is great but the badge snobs and the 'Boutique Bike Brigade' will just never believe it.

Funny thing is, there's a good chance that the "badge snobs" are riding around on a bike that has come out of the Giant factory, even though it doesn't say "Giant" on it…

v10
    Free Member

Ive sold a couple of Anthem X3's to people who have split them for just the frame. Only difference is the Float R shock which for a short travel application and alongside the maestro linkage works just as well imo.

One of them was too a regular customer who transfered all the kit onto a HT frame he had and sold it for £500 so the frame ended up costing him £500… not bad!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"hoovering up all the little bumps"

Yep my TranceX is just like that: you just don't get any drag from rough group and rip along. Once you work out how to move in sympathy with the suspension, it's very agile.

Perhaps surprisingly, the suspension hugely improves pedally bits on rough ground where you would hover on a hardtail or bob on other full suss bikes. You can sit and accelerate by caning the pedals and letting the bike soak-up the rough while zooming past everyone. I think this is why the AnthemX is such an ace XC race bike.

I agree with the difficulty of manualling – it's the longish back-end. The brake jack "problem" I'm not sure about as I've only ridden Maestro, some single-pivots and hard tails.

The 120mm Fox fork is very bump sensitive, but it's light and flexible and does struggle to keep-up with the back end sometimes. I think the bike could do with a stiffer bolt-thru, 140-160mm fork and drop the bars a couple of inches to compensate – though this would move it from an XC->freeride bike.

Here's mine:

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I'm glad I found this site it makes interesting reading. I think I must be the only person in the UK with the Trance X5 but it was probably the best full susser I could get on the cycle to work scheme. It's my first full susser so nothing to compare it too. I just know that it seems to do anything I want it to very well. The Giant shock doesn't even have pro pedal or anything and I can just pedal away all day on it. I've put a shorter stem and a comfier saddle on it. I like the idea of getting longer forks and dropping the stem, might try that in the future.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I had a 2006 trance and yes the back end felt almost limitless it just worked

But I could not get on with suspension so I am now on a 456 and alot happier

guess I am just wierd 😳

Andituk
    Free Member

Excellent, a Giant love thread 😀

I love the Maestro system, it pedals fantastically. My riding seemed to get so much better when i got this bike, feels miles faster, although probably isn't!

Can't wait to try a 140mm fork on it too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How good is Giant's Maestro suspension system! (Statement, not a question)’ is closed to new replies.