Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • how good does the weather need to be to make Torridon safe and enjoyable?
  • westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Hi,
    Im going for a family weekend to Fort William next weekend from Islay, but I also have a loose plan to have a solo mission to Torridon at some point over the next couple of months. Ive just seen this weather forecast….http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/torridon…., which suggests that if i bailed from work on Wednesday I could get the ferry to Oban, ride/hike Thursday/Friday and then come back down and meet the family when they get off the Saturday boat and spend the weekend with them. Thats an intricate plan, but when you live on an island like i do every roadtrip plan is intricate because ferries control your every move!
    What I was wondering was this, can anybody advise as to whether this weather forecast (presuming it still looks like this when I check it on Tuesday of course!) is good enough to enable me to confidently park up at Achnashellach and disappear into the hills, given that I have a fair bit of experience of west coast weather and that im not daft and am therefore not planning to ride beyond the levels of my own capability. Is that cloud going to be high enough to stop me getting hopelessly lost? And does anybody know of a good b+b in Torrdion village that I could try who wouldnt balk at me turning up on their doorstep covered in half a hillside and wheeling a dirty bike? Any advice from mountaineers and Torridon veterans would be much appreciated.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

sorry, that forecast page didnt load up. http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/torridon

kennyp
    Free Member

Assuming you are reasonably self sufficient, and can read a map, then no reason not to go at any time. If it is wild wet and windy you might be a bit miserable, but the riding is so good you’ll forget about the damp.

Another good thing is that the tracks are generally quite rocky, so don’t turn to muddy quagmires when it rains. We’ve ridden up there in all weathers, including winter, and it’s never been less than brilliant.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kennyp +1.

Torridon inn is pretty good value, or it was last time I checked.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

great stuff Kenny, its low cloud im concerned about because ive walked in areas like the paps of jura where it can get quite disorientating in places, but if youve been up there a lot then you mustve tried it in much worse weather than what is forecast here. ive seen so many maps and pictures that I reckon I have a really good handle on where Im going, so I should be fine. I`ll just take my time. Any tips on good tracks, or should I just stick to the main loop that everybody seems to do? I have to say it does look fantastic.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

I`ll check out the Torridon Inn, thanks NBITF!

Spin
    Free Member

Good tracks all the way so you shouldn’t have any navigational issues assuming you know how to read a map.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t rule out the hostel in torridon too, it’s a really good one.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Your route – clockwise.

tomd
    Free Member

That route Nobeer has put up is a cracker, easily one of my top rides of all time. It’s a big day out though!

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Im planning to do it in two days tomd, i want to make the most of the scenery. and that is the exact route i was planning to take, thanks for confirming my thinking!! as ive got two days though, i might extend both halves by riding a bit, dumping the bike, climbing something, riding on etc, i`ll see how i go. I dont want to feel like im unduly tied to a schedule or timescale, that just spoils a solo day out in the hills!! lets just say though that the weather forecast changes for Thursday though, and I can only ride all day on Friday, how long do you think it will take me to ride this whole route, given that Im fit, used to riding big mountains, and im going to be armed with a big-forked bfe and a fairly minimal rucksack? Is it like a proper 12 hour epic?

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Ive just emailed the youth hostel NBITF, thanks for that info as well. Youre the boy!

Spin
    Free Member

Difficult to give times without knowing you but I’d say max 7hrs for that route.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Interesting, so if i started early morning i could extend it a bit if i felt the need and yet still do it all in one long day, or I could stretch it out over two if the forecast stays as good as it is at the moment and i decide to stay overnight in Torridon village. That gives me plenty options, this all sounds ace!

Spin
    Free Member

climbing something

Proper climbing or just going up a hill?

If you want a great day out that combines biking and climbing you can ride up (mostly!) Coire Dubh Mor between Liathach and Beinn Eighe then depending on your skills dump the bike at the watershed or carry it up into Coire Mhic Fearchair. The bike can be left just above the lochan and you can solo one of the triple buttresses the easiest of which is a Diff. Or if you want something easier scramble up to the col between Sail Mor and Coinneach Mor and on to Beinn Eighe by its west ridge, along the top and back down to the lochan from the col before Ruadh-stac Mor.

The ride back out from the lochan to the watershed is superb but nails and from the watershed back to Glen Torridon is brilliant flowy singletrack. 4 or 5 hrs all in.

Coire Mhic Fearchair has a fair claim to be the finest coire in Scotland.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Any advice from mountaineers and Torridon veterans would be much appreciated.<

It’s still August so there would have to be a very cold snap for weather to pose you any issues. Nor would I be getting too hung up on a mountain forecast for that specific area 7 days out. Navigation is very straightforward – hell there was even a push track forming the last time I was up 😉 Goes to show just how popular these routes have become in the last 4 or 5 years.

Go for it.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Re Accom:

Can’t imagine the Torridon Inn would be an economic prospect if its a b&b you are looking for. As mentioned Torridon YH is fine.

Sheildaig has some nice b&b’s (don’t think you could go wrong tbh)and a good pub.

Bunkhouse @ the Kinlochewe Hotel is (or was) another option and the pub / food was rather good the last time I stayed (April 2012)

kennyp
    Free Member

The route above is a classic. Route finding is pretty straightforward as it is a well defined track. The descent down to Annat is fantastic, one of my favourites ever. Probably stating the obvious, but take a first aid kit, you can easily do yourself some damage!

Re B&Bs, the Aurora in Sheildaig was great when we stayed. We were cutting it fine to get to the pub in time for grub. The owners just told us to dump all our manky kit on the floor and head out. When we returned it was all hung up drying. Breakfast was superb too.

maddyutah

http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6710
    Was there start of week,stayed at the hostel which was grand.did the above route and the liatach route.great part of the world,would defiantly go back

GaVgAs
    Free Member

yep, that Map is by far the best Torridon route, its awesome in any weather conditions, but be aware the turn right at Bealach aan (east of Meal Dearg) is easy to miss if you havent done this before in bad weather, the rest is straight forwards, I would recommend a dual ply tyre on the back for the descents as its very fast even in the wet, have a good one it always delivers.. 😉

The Torridon Youth hostel is exellent too, as is the cafe in the village,food is ok in the Torridon inn, but i have had better, Kishorn seafood bar is well worth a visit if your nearby..

househusband

LOL – That’s my route/image NBITF has posted!

It is indeed a cracker.

Ambrose

We were there last week after a thirty! year break. I hope to be back a lot sooner next time. The riding was excellent.

Spin
    Free Member

The route that Nobeerinthefridge has posted is of course totally superb.

However…

It looks like it takes you over the Bealach a’ coire Gairbh. The more traditional route continues straight on over the Bealach na Lice and meets Nobeerinthefridge’s route at Loch an Eion.

The Bealach na Lice route is shorter, involves less height gain and less carrying. Nobeerinthefridge’s route is wilder in terms of scenery but the descent whilst good is not a highlight of the route. Basically you won’t be missing anything essential if you don’t do it.

Worth remembering if you need to shorten your route or the weather craps out.

Spin
    Free Member

but be aware the turn right at Bealach aan (east of Meal Dearg) is easy to miss if you havent done this before in bad weather,

Think you mean the Bealach Ban?

rickmeister

I’m with KennyP and Househusband (is that our summer day gps plot btw)..

Done this in a variety of weathers now and its always brilliant. the route is riding ongranite so good in the wet. That map ^^^^^ has some sizable chunks of hike-a-bike, look carefully before committing…

You will have a great time im spectacular scenery, do all your pre flight checks, think self sufficiency and you will have a ball. Nav is not hard, all paths are well defined..

Its a bit of fortitude and resiliance thats needed… At the start of the last 7k descent I had two punctures, the second one being a tubeless on the rim/ bead edge from waterbars which would be a very long walk…

there are loads of route options on threads here. Have a search for some options and start early so time is on your side….

Lastly, Andy McKenna is a Toridon afectionardo, check his Go-Where web site for pics… and post yours on here !

rickmeister

Some pics of the day that Gps plot was made, Househusband has more …. It was a day the likes of which I don’t think I will see again.

P1020072

Spin
    Free Member

the route is riding ongranite

[geopedant] Mainly sandstone with some quartzite no granite in that area[/geopedant]

The sandstone is generally grippy in the wet. The quartzite can be slippy especially were there are blue/grey lichens.

Spin
    Free Member

Some pics of the day that Gps plot was made, Househusband has more …. It was a day the likes of which I don’t think I will see again.

That looks like an utter belter.

This thread was making think about heading over that way tomorrow but it’s looking too windy.

rickmeister

Thanks Spin, thought it was granite but I know it as the best natural drivetrain grinding paste when its wet

Spin
    Free Member

My knowledge of geology is pretty limited but the Torridon area is very interesting in that regard.

As well as being God’s own country.

Don’t think I’ve had a day biking up there as peachy as the one you had!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Think you mean the Bealach Ban?

yep, thanks spin, the marked route was hiding the name.. 😕

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbz17xjMAQ Torridon go pro, from earlier on this year

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

rickmeister, those photos are amazing, i so hope i get a day as good as that on thursday!! I got a very positive response from the YH so im going to stay there, thanks for the accomodation suggestions everybody!
    Spin, when i said climbing i was only really referring to scrambling up the odd hill to see what i could see from the top and take pictures, while i can climb like a goat ive got no real climbing experience so i know not to take chances or stray too far from the bike. Having said that, a look at the area on google maps makes the Liatach look tempting, I`m just going to wing it when I get there and see what I fancy doing. As i said in the o.p, getting there is the logistically difficult bit for me, once Im on the mainland I tend to just go with the flow. Isnt that the best way?! And to GaVgas who suggested double ply tyres, my bfe is ready to go with a pair of 150mm freeride bombers upfront, mavic 721s with a single ply minion on the front and a dual ply minion out back with downhill tubes. Should be just the very bike I reckon!! Kenny, first aid kit=good idea, thanks. Cheers for all this info, i can tell from everybodys enthusiasm that this is a great day out so i cant wait now. BRING IT!!!

stupot
    Free Member

I’ve just booked the YH for a few weeks time. 6 lads going. Can’t wait after seeing the above!

tmb467
    Free Member

This thread has prompted me to take a few days up there

Cheers one and all

Spin
    Free Member

@westcoastmassive

I was out today and saw your entry in the Coire Fionnarich bothy book. Assuming there weren’t 2 Islay mountainbikers out and about on the Torridon Loop.

Did it live up to expectations?

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Right, I had a great couple of days in Torridon at the end of last week, so its only fair that i say thanks to:
    1)NBITF and friends- for uploading the map and for your general comments, I followed your route to the letter and absolutely loved it. The carry up onto Bealach a coire Gairbh was pretty brutal, but the view from the top of here and the descent down there with fewer drainage ditches made it worth it. The descents in general were great, nothing i couldnt ride but it certainly tested my skillset to the max.The big downhill into the forest was awesome!
    2)SPIN- for your general comments but more in particular for your suggestion to push up into the valley between the Liatach and Beinn Eighe on my 2nd day, I dumped the bike after only a mile and a half though and followed your route round to Alt Coire Mhic Fearchair on foot and scrambled up onto the ridge up above the triple buttress and then slid mostly on my arse back down the southern face to where id left my bfe. What a view that is from the top!! Id have missed it if you hadnt recommended it, so cheers for one of my favourite climbs ever. The ride back down that rock garden to the carpark was pretty good too, just my kind of thing!!
    3)Everybody who recommended the hostel, I had a comfortable 2 days there and got well looked after. I got a good welcome at the Torridon Inn too when I went for a pint and some chips.
    I`ll be back in Torridon again- some places you go its all about the biking, but even though the biking here was pretty epic it isnt nearly the whole story. The scenery is incredible, the natives were very friendly, the shop/cafe had a very relaxed feel about it, the walking was just as good as the biking etc etc. Totally loved everything about it, undoubtedly one of the best and most relaxing 2 day break ive had on my own! If you havent been to Torridon, get up there and have a look.

rickmeister

Great job for getting it sorted… sounds like you had a great time..

Get some pictures up !

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘how good does the weather need to be to make Torridon safe and enjoyable?’ is closed to new replies.