Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • How GOOD are Hope Brakes!!!!!!!
  • super4
    Free Member

Well I have to say ive just joined the Hope fold so to speak with my first set of x2 tech brakes and levers…. No rotors as yet, and with the addition of the match maker for my xtr shifters, all i can say at the moment is that im OVER THE MOON……
    At last I can put the shifters just where then needed to be, and they look the b….ks cant wait to add to the mix if the calliper accepts a 203mm front floating rotor and 185 rear which will look the nuts so reminds me of my motor bike racing days…..

I love a little bit of bling….

super4
    Free Member

Oh by the way Evans are doing them for £104 without the rotor brand new!!!

thought that was pretty good….

although I got mine from cycle surgery as they do a price match…

druidh
    Free Member

Hang on. You’re telling us how GOOD they are but you’ve not finished putting them together yet – let alone tried them?

big_scot_nanny

I love both sets of mine (tech 4s and tech V2s), everything has that ‘hewn from block of metal’ and ‘nice positive clicky’ feel to any adjustments. Pure luxury.

And… They work dead good!

Kev

super4
    Free Member

@ druidh i said at the moment im over the moon if you re read my post..

super4
    Free Member

@ big scot yeah its like a positive feel thing, I was sceptical that it would all match up as they said but as ive said at the moment without actually using them on a ride im very happy.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mine squeal like a stuck pig in the wet.
    Don’t care.

super4
    Free Member

isn’t that something to do with the alignment of the calliper? i dont know !!

coogan
    Free Member

Try them in the Alps! Totally awesome!! Till they stop working on a big descent…

super4
    Free Member

@ coogan- which set was u using ?
    what happened?

tk46hal
    Free Member

They have my approval!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Mine are ok but more power from both sets of shimano. Not poor enough to get rid of but not great.

super4
    Free Member

does anyone know if u can use the floating rotors on the X2 SET?

nasher
    Free Member

Hope have great back up, service and spares, customer support, great company etc…

But unfortunately their performance is not on par with many (also much cheaper) brake manufacturers…

theflatboy
    Free Member

i bought the BEST CAR i’ve ever owned, RECENTLY! it has no engine, seats or wheels but so far it’s AWESOME and i can’t FAULT it. 😀

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hope have great back up, service and spares, customer support, great company etc…

Untrue.[/u] I had hideous issues with two sets of Mono M4s years ago and the customer service was crap in the extreme! The LBS ended up swapping them for Hayes brakes as we were getting nowhere with the muppets at Hope

But unfortunately their performance is not on par with many (also much cheaper) brake manufacturers…

True.

They’re not great brakes but they do have a loyal UK following. I’d never have them on a bike again though.

carlphillips
    Free Member

shimano’s or avid ftw ime.

I sold my hopes on

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve two sets of M4s, the oldest dates from 2004 and are still going nicely without a rebuild.

They’re a doddle to work on, spares can be picked up comparatively cheaply anywhere and bleeding them is easy in the extreme. Oh and I love the industrial aesthetic. The lever shape is spot on too.

The downside is that they’re not that powerful. My M4s can’t compete with my Juicys and Hayes Stroker Trails which have 20mm smaller rotors for outright stopping power or modulation.

Rorschach
    Free Member

At best…average.
    Unless you like shiney things….in which case you are a magpie.
    Or a muppet.

Im with \/

baznav73
    Free Member

i was a hope stallwart until they made the pig ugly techs.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The downside is that they’re not that powerful

If youv’e got no strength at all in your hands.

coogan
    Free Member

Gold and black M4’s, guff, never again have Hope brakes after they left me in a heap, bleeding, rear mech ripped off after a lovely lever to handlebar to no brakes whatsoever moment. Ain’t doing that again. Shimano all the way for moi.

james
    Free Member

“If youv’e got no strength at all in your hands”

I thought hydraulic disc brakes shouldn’t require you to have to use all your hand strength to stop?
    An advantage over V-brakes I thought was hydraulic disc brakes (should) have enough power (and modulation) to brake with one finger, also allowing you to hold on with 3 fingers (largely independant of braking), rather than just the 2 (or less?) smallest fingers?

Hopes I’ve had (no current ones) once bled do have power, it just seems you have to pull really hard to get it. Modulation hasn’t been great (though the lever sort of feels like it does?)

Northwind

Weird thread folks, nice one.

PS Formula for the first-round-knockout win 😉

super4
    Free Member

hmmm i agree northwind,
    still at least its got a few talking, and as for the muppets!!! maybe you should get the engine wheels dont bother with the seat and drive off beachy head !!!! 😆

reedspeed
    Free Member

Surely pad material & decent fluid would help wouldn’t guys? ,std sintered pads & castrol SRF, if its good enough for moto gp you lot wont boil it,even the do ers!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have several sets of hopes all of which can lock either wheel with a single finger easily. None of the shimanos I have ridden had any more power.

They do not have the initial bite of some brakes – you can either have that or the feel – I like the soft lever feel as it allows more modulation. I think sometimes this gets confused for lack of power.

All IS mount tho ( bar one caliper) and all on smallish discs so get nice and hot and sintered pads. all annually bled with fresh fluid.

Northwind

reedspeed – Member

std sintered pads & castrol SRF, if its good enough for moto gp you lot wont boil it

No offence but that’s a wee bit of a silly statement, there’s too many differences in the hardware. Bicycle brakes take a lot of heat with less radiator to cool them and far less fluid. Also, brake fade isn’t just about overheating fluid, it’s also about overheating pads past their comfortable operating temp.

Different brakes respond differently to heat, when we were in france one chap had a lot of bother with his X2s, even when we were riding the same pace down the same sections he ran into fade while I never did (cheapo Oros with cheapo pads and halfords fluid). Could be he had a maintenance issue o’course.

reedspeed
    Free Member

mmmm point taken,i do however think things like brake,suspension feel is personal too,however using the above with correct servicing all helps…as do floaters etc etc…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

All I can say is that I (me) can stop my 5 dead in it’s tracks (co-efficient of friction between tyres & surface taken into account) with my X2’s whilst moving at a reasonable speed.
    Yes, I have used other brakes. Hayes 9’s were the worst. I’m happy as Larry, whoever Larry is, with my X2’s on the 5 & my old M4’s on the HT.
    Don’t know about their back up service as I’ve never used them for a brake problem, just a broken axle on an XC hub.

super4
    Free Member

for sure it is all about feel as its all a leap of faith whether yr get on with and like etc the product.
    All I know is that when my race motor bike brakes were bleed right they worked!! and believe me u need them to work when yr steaming into a corner with 25 other riders all wanting the same bit of track!!!

skywalker
    Free Member

I’m 13 stone and can stoppie with my X2’s, how much more power do you want?

Also power isn’t everything.

super4
    Free Member

what rotors do you use on yr x2’s esselgruntfuttock ?

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of M4 Evo’s using 203 floating rotors. I’ve used many different brakes before and all I would like to say is that my Hopes are the best brakes I’ve ever used.

They NEED to be set up correctly in order for them to have the best power but get them right and nothing compares. Some brakes are more powerful but none are more usable.

Modulation/feel is were the Hopes win hands down over everything else. I now couldn’t go as fast without Hope brakes. I’ve gotten used to the feel and nothing else will do – usable power is worth every penny.

The brakes that others say are more powerful are usually wooden feeling to me, very on/off.

Super4: you’ll love em!

Well done HOPE! 😀

peachos
    Free Member

they’re absolutely the worst brake i have come across to bleed, therefore i’ll not be buying any hope brakes no matter how pretty they are.

molgrips
    Free Member

Another Hope fan here. I’ve used Hayes and Shimano. Shim I also like, but Hope once bled nicely are as good. Hard to tell really though since the bikes don’t get the same usage.

The Shimano bleeding procedure is a joke though. The instructions say basically leave it and let the bubbles float up. Great.. very rigorous there, you really know when it’s worked 🙄

Del

how many of the comments here are as a result of using hopes for descending ~ 3km or more height before lunch, then doing the same again after?
    if so, what model/setup?

jedi

my v2’s squeel in the wet and have recently lost power but after 5 yrs and countless alpine/canadian trips they were rocking

Northwind

molgrips – Member

The Shimano bleeding procedure is a joke though. The instructions say basically leave it and let the bubbles float up. Great.. very rigorous there, you really know when it’s worked

Which Shimanos? The instructions for my old ones couldn’t be more different from that tbh (in fact they bled exactly like Hope!)

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Two pairs of mono M4s I’ve owned have been crap but that was on a downhill bike, they are probably mediocre for cross country.

I’d say they are the easiest brake to bleed, they practically do it themselves!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘How GOOD are Hope Brakes!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.