Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How easy to get it 'wrong' with a headset press???
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Thinking of investing in a headset press instead of taking my frame into an LBS.

Just wondering on peoples experiences? How easy it is to mess it up basically? And whether as a headset fitting newbie you can be confident you’ve fitted it properly?

Thanks

Tom

wwaswas

Like any tool, you need to use a headset press properly – if you don’t then it’s possible to get the cups in at an angle.

having said that, it’s relatively easy to do it properly and you;ll know when it’s done right – have a look at Parktool site for a how to.

bigyinn
    Free Member

As long as the cups go in the right way (top / bottom) and they go in square thats about it really. Just make sure the cup is all the way in.

johnners
    Free Member

I think you’d struggle to mess it up.

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok so as a ‘finished press’ as long as the cups are flush with the edge then everything will be ok? 😀

richmtb

Ok so as a ‘finished press’ as long as the cups are flush with the edge then everything will be ok?

Pretty much its really not a hard job (its easy enough with a mallet!)

But you are right to be careful as it not a job you want to get wrong

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used some wood and a rubber mallet and have never experienced any problems so I reckon if you’re using a proper press it should be relatively straight forward.
    As for being sure you’ve fitted it properly, it’ll be obvious that it has sunk home fully and I imagine that to perservere with forcing it in crooked would take an awaful lot of force.

wwaswas

if there’s logo’s on the cups then do make sure you have them lined up properly before you press the cups in 🙂

Underhill
    Free Member

^ +1 ^

GSuperstar
    Free Member

lol! wwaswas I am so extremely greatful you actually took the time to post that, I know it would be something I didn’t think of till too late!!

wwaswas

Having knocked cups back out for this reason I thought it best to mention it 😳

andyha
    Free Member

I use two squares of ply, 80mm square with some threaded bar and some nuts and slowly tighten with two spanners.

Sam

If you want to do it properly on a new frame then you should invest in a reamer as well as a press – significantly more expensive I’m afraid. At the very least make sure you scrape off the paint on the ends of the head tube first.

It also depends a bit on the headset – some (I’ve found especially Crank Brothers) are difficult to get in straight, I ended up making a tool to help with this.

Grease the inside of the headtube well before fitting.

fasthaggis

Ok,shoot me now ,but because I have access to a machine shop,I now get cup inserts made to suit each new head set and the press* .
    This is likely just my engineering OCD kicking in,but I feel that modern alu cups have smaller lips ,so easier to mangle with bad mallet use**

* Big screwed rod,nuts and washers

** This condition is also known as ‘Handless Bar Steward Syndrome’

Take your time and don’t be too quick to smack it 😀

Northwind

I usually use a rubber mallet, has never failed me. Last headset I fitted, I used my headset press and it worked fine up until the point that the headset broke- the cups weren’t strong enough for the pressing force! Wish I’d hammered it.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’d recommend getting a good quality press. I bought some home made jobby off ebay for a fiver and it was rubbish cos it wouldn’t keep it all straight. I took the frame to my lbs in the end and they fitted it with a proper one no bother.

colournoise

Only ever used a mallet, wooden blocks, patience and care. KISS.

slainte 😀 rob

druidh
    Free Member

Threaded bar and two large square washers seems to work for me.
    I echo the comment about the Crank Bros headset though. Mine just didn’t want to go in straight.

It can also help if you put the headset in the freezer for a while before fitting.

garage-dweller

Worth a small spend. Go slow and easy when pressing and its a piece of urine.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I hought a proper headset tool on ebay a few years back. It was a chinese copy of the Park tool, I wouldn’t have paid more than £30 for it. I sadly cant find a listing. I wouldn’t want to screw up a good frame or a decent headset for the want of a £30 saving.

andyl
    Free Member

Sam – Member
    If you want to do it properly on a new frame then you should invest in a reamer as well as a press – significantly more expensive I’m afraid. At the very least make sure you scrape off the paint on the ends of the head tube first.

don’t you mean a facing tool? Reamer makes me think of the bore itself. I wouldn’t have thought you want to mess with that.

I just use an assortment of sockets that I have lying around for the car with some threaded bar and nuts and washers.

I would rather use a proper press though – It is something I will buy soon. You have to be very careful with sockets but it can work well and nice and straight. Did my first one on my carbon 456, then on a scandal and then an inbred for a friend.

Sam

Reaming/facing is usually one tool so that it’s reamed to the correct diameter and also faces the tube perfectly square.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh cool, only seen the facing bits before, maybe it was a BB one – wouldnt want to ream one of them!

I’ve never really understood why frames don’t come faced but had never considered the bore might not be right either. Guess it’s one of those jobs that falls into the “if you want a job doing…” categories when you are a bike builder.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How easy to get it 'wrong' with a headset press???’ is closed to new replies.