Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How do you pronounce the letter 'H'?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

I believe I am right in saying it should be 'eitch' but people at work pronounce it 'heitch' which really gets on my wick, especially as I work in the glamourous world of reinforced concrete so we have a lot to do with H16 and H20 bars!

People tell me it's 'heitch' because it's 'Harry' and 'Helicopter' etc but I say its 'onor' as in 'honour' and just because it's that letter doesnt mean you spell the name of the letter, for instance, it's not a 'wubbleyou' (W) or a 'lell' (L) or a 'feff' (F) is it!

Who's correct?

wwaswas

I'm from the South, I never pronounce the letter 'H'

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's 'aitch' not 'haytch'

FACT.

HTH 🙂

BillMC

In 'Henry' it's haitch

In 'an hotel' it's aitch

mogrim

Aitch, "haytch" is something for the lower classes to say when trying and failing to imitate their social superiors.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Definately not Haytch as I speak the Queens English 🙂 it aytch of course my good man!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

feffing 'ell its aitch

IanMunro
    Free Member

It's Aitch.
    From the OED

aitch – Name of the letter H; cf. ACHE n.3 Also Comb., as aitch-dropping, -free adjs. Hence aitchless a., that does not aspirate his h's.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

defo aitch, and thats from a northern monkey

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The name of the letter is 'Aitch' and it's pronounced phonetically. Your colleagues are just putting on 'airs [sic]

Bregante

reminds me of a question. Name three olympic athletics disciplines that begin with a T?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

ay-ch

swoosh
    Free Member

thank you guys, at least I can now tell them how to speak correctly knowing I have the full backing of the STW masseeve!

Nick

I can't remember how I pronounce it now

Keva
    Free Member

People who say Haytch either have a speech impediment or are slightly retarded.

chunky_pott
    Free Member

From the nursery rhyme I reckon its haitch…but then I am slightly retarded 🙂

solarider
    Free Member

I'm a northerner living down south (quite how that qualifies me I don't know!). Having said that I do also happen to have a speech impediment and am slightly retarded, but it's an aitch, not a haitch.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How do you pronounce the letter 'H'?’ is closed to new replies.