Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Noise when car is started after a long period laid up- help
  • hora
    Free Member

Car has been stood for two years. Recharged battery, popped fresh fuel in.

Car turns over a few times then makes like a rapid- machine gun noise (stops when you turn the ignition key anti-clockwise again). What is that?

GW
    Free Member

the engine.

what do I win?

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Sounds like there isn't enough charge in the battery, try jump starting it from another car.

Is it a fast clicking sound?

hainey
    Free Member

Are you sure its not a machine gun?

cynic-al
    Free Member

starter not engaging? Try a few times.

thefallguy
    Free Member

sticking valve?

hora
    Free Member

I have- just worried that its causing problems if I keep Haineys AK47's firing 🙄

bristolbiker
    Free Member

My tuppence is it's the starter solenoid

cassin
    Free Member

Put it in gear rock it backwards and forwards then give it another go.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

As I have said already, there probably isn't enough charge in the battery to keep the starter motor turning, all you can hear is the solenoid constantly firing!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds like a stuck valve, the oil thickens with time, usually the engine will run for a few miles then the valve will just stick open.

Piston, valve, valve guide and probably cylinder will be FUBAR.

Could also just be normal engine noises, mine makes a horrific din when first started after several weeks off, quietens down after 30-40 seconds and the oil gets to where its needed.

hora
    Free Member

Ah got it. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/breakdown_advice/carcough.html

Its the flat battery-sound in the link. Lights, windows work. Will take out and recharge.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Has the engine actually started??? As I doubt it would be a sticking valve if it hasn't.

BoardinBob

I would have whipped the spark plugs out and poured some petrol directly into the cylinders. Not much but just something to help it start if it had been lying that long.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

I would guess that the battery is Bu99erd, if you have tried to charge it already. Get it jumpstarted, check there is a charge coming from the alternator, take it for a drive (a good one of 10 miles or more) or leave it running for an hour or so. Then leave it alone for a couple of hours, then check if it starts, if it doesn't then the battery has had it, not uncommon after being left for that amount of time….

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought you said it turned over a few times before the noise? If it's turning over, then the battery's working clearly.

Oil can drain out of the hydraulic tappets when you leave it standing, causing a loud clatter when it starts, but that should go after a few seconds.

If it were my car and it were petrol I'd remove the spark plug leads and turn it over a few times to get some oil circulating. If it were a diesel I'd remove the wire from the fuel solenoid 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Turn the lights on and try and start it, do the lights go dim?

As others have said, you dont say if the engine has started or if you're trying to start?

Take the plugs out, spray some WD40 down the plug holes and turn the engine over by hand using a ratchet and socket on the crankshaft to work it around the cylinders before trying to start it.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

It is the most common sound I hear on the forecourt!!! 👿

With over 50 cars sat in front of me and doing the job for 10 years, I can honestly say, I don't have a week go past where I don't hear this noise…The starter motor will turn a few times then go to the solenoid click. It will also do it several times before there is just the clicking sound only…..

mrchrispy

spray some wd40 on random parts of the engine.
    that'll sort it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, could be batrtery fireing the solenoid repeatedly, I'd sitll change the oil and filter before starting it up after that long though. Even if you just replace it with 20/50 from morrisons at £1.85 a gallon it'll do the job.

Harmitans
    Free Member

Sounds like a knackered battery.

If it's already been turned over there's not much point putting oil down the bores. Jump start it or new battery.

Gingerblokes advice is worth following.

johnners
    Free Member

Remember, if you can get it to start it's best to rev the nuts off it immediately.

bigyinn
    Free Member

lol at johnners. Its the law!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

use jumps leads sfrom a running car or a booster starter to force the thing to start not enough power to turn over starter.

thehustler
    Free Member

Jeez all these posts and the most likely and obv answer not given, sounds like the starter motor is not disengaging, remove , WD40 ,refit, job done

coffeeking
    Free Member

Definitely the battery. No need to rev the nuts off it 😀 Charge it, fire it, drive it.

But you did remember to take the ignition king lead off and crank over for 10-15 seconds before firign it properly didn't you, to get oil back in the journal bearings and coat the required parts after such a long period of draining?

johnners
    Free Member

No need to rev the nuts off it

But it's hora, and it is the law!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Makes me cry to see engines revved from start. White van men do it all the time. Sniff. Sniff.

hora
    Free Member

Wow. Clarke Charger/Starter- STARTED first time when plugged in. fan kicked in to cool later on (30mins later) and the steam stopped coming out of the back.

Hire cars – I've always thrashed them as soon as Ive turned the key. Try it next time you hire one. See how quickly you can set off and at speed as you turn the key 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hire cars – I've always thrashed them as soon as Ive turned the key. Try it next time you hire one. See how quickly you can set off and at speed as you turn the key

Evil, evil man. But they do say no car is as fast as a hire car!

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Wow. Clarke Charger/Starter- STARTED first time when plugged in.

And I thank you!!!

BigJohn

Hire cars should always be started in 1st gear without using the clutch.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Got a Corrado that does that when the battery is flat. Really should drive it more…

hora
    Free Member

Pug306- left up to rot fine but a Corrado? You should be ashamed of yourself 😕

Gary_C

Remember, if you can get it to start it's best to rev the nuts off it immediately

+1

Especially if its a diesel,floor it until it bounces off the rev limter…

😉

fingerbike
    Free Member

I know, getting it back on the road this weekend, just hid it in the garage for a few months with crappy weather and didn't get round to running it for a couple of weeks.. killed that battery…

hora
    Free Member

killed that battery…

You sure? Halfords tested mine and said zero charge/dead.

I started the car again using its own charge and it fired up first time. Thats a battery thats been sat for 2yrs.

fingerbike
    Free Member

yep, wouldn't hold charge at all, previous owner had bought a halfords one that came with a 5 year warranty so it was replaced without issue, just had to pay a bit to get a heavy duty battery as previous was a standard, don't think a vr6 engine did it any good…

hora
    Free Member

How old is yours etc? I had a quick look and most look like they've fallen into the hands of people who live with their Mums (skimp on spend and add aftermarket alloys/gash head units or…..TCS who seem to think they can sell the SAME cars for 2k more 🙁

….then there are the rare ones that resemble the vision that I remember from my youth 😀

tron
    Free Member

If a battery's flat for more than a day or two, it'll be ruined. Just a fact of lead acid battery chemistry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Noise when car is started after a long period laid up- help’ is closed to new replies.