Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • how do you get your stuff about
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

looking into a new van for lugging my dh bike and stuff about-#

i want a van ideally as it dont matter if it gets rotten!

now size is my huge problem.

i dont want to take any wheels of ideally.

so is a berlingo or transit connect too small for that?

pics please

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I briefly considered a van but couldn’t find a decent one for sensible money. The tax and insurance can also work out to be pricey, plus they should be driven in accordance with a lower speed limit (I say should as nobody ever does).

After deciding that I would be frustrated by a van, and concluding that I wouldn’t get much for my money I bought a van based MPV instead. A Fiat Qubo to be precise. It is the slowest, ugliest car Fiat do but I’ve got 2.5m2 of load space with the back seats out. My Cross Check is in the back at the moment as I’m off with my bike for the day tomorrow. No pics at the mo unfortunately as I’ve only had it a couple of weeks.

Northwind

FWIW my downhill bike fits in the back of my Focus estate without taking any bits off, and still plenty of space for kit etc. (I can fit 2 normal bikes in with the wheels on too, though that’s a faff, or 2 downhill bikes with one wheel off each)

I did look at small vans but leaving everything else aside it seems like it’s easier to buy a cheap, decent estate than a cheap, decent van. And a car-sized van is still car-sized.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Passat estate here, front wheel off, (Takes like, 10 seconds)Bobs your uncle & Fanny’s your Aunt.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Peugeot Partner. Awesome little van. Fits big framed MTB with just front wheel turned to one side. I’m struggling a little more (but still OK) with my 29er.

Vans rock 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Touran, bike goes in with everything assembled, am still able to leave one of the rear seats up with baby seat on, roof has got a few tyre marks though…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This is how they get their stuff moved in Portland, OR

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3oSyvXLiY[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Although you can fit one in a small van…

I went with a transit LWB MH and put a bed in too – so much nicer to be able to not have to camp at races!! and to change tyres inside when it’s muddy and wet – and to stand up while getting changed!!

Tax was £200 and insurance was similar to most cars I had. As for speed limits I got the gutless one so no issues there!!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Berlingo:

Cushions were for the dog, not for me!

andrewh
    Free Member

I went down the MPV route too, got a bed and a fridge in the back, tools, Dirtworker etc under the bed.
    Can fit three disassembled bikes or one complete bike in next to the bed.
    It’s bigger than a Combo/Berlingo etc and even an LWB Connect.
    My next one will be a proper van though, Dispatch/Hi-Ace size, partly an attempt to improve fuel econmy and party more space would be great.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Connect lwd here.

Swallows bikes, beds, work stuff….

The swb doesnt take bikes wheel on afaik.

LWB got for work so hard to rave about. But it chugs on, gets slept in, fits half the house in, parks in a primera space, reliable, parts seem cheap.

swb – cant sleep in, cant ……

nickjb
    Free Member

Just picked up a Mitsubishi Delica

We need a 4 wheel drive with a few seats for other hobbies but this should work well for biking. Easily takes bikes without taking the wheels off as the seats fold up to make a huge space, they even fold completely flat to make a bed.

kayak23

Car type Berlingo here.
    Get a couple of bikes in with the seats down and no wheels off, easily 3 bikes and 3 people with just front wheel out.
    The seats can come fully out too then you have yourself a full van.

gusamc
    Free Member

try a Berlingo car (*well if you want a *car* rather than a van type vehicle), the seats unbolt easily (single on LHS, double on RHS) and I can get two bikes (16″ O-5, 13″ Myka diagonally) if I do that, you might getaway with LHS out and back wheel stuffed down side of front passenger seat with bars sideways….

if you’re near Reading area welcome to try

*edit also we use the large stacker plastic boxes to hold kit – so we can just load and go

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘how do you get your stuff about’ is closed to new replies.