Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • How do you cope with work?
  • grumm
    Free Member

lol – more likely to get snide remarks from making ridiculous statements like that.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I think if I spread about how much I made, I'd be a cretinous, sad muppet that associates success with high salary levels.

Sorry but I really don't think it's on to post salaries (apart from obvious ones like Police/NHS/etc) on public forums.

molgrips
    Free Member

I told my best mate how much I was going to make in a new job, and even he couldn't resist a few quips (although not snide or unpleasant).. it made me uncomfortable and he stopped when I mentioned it.

In any case people could get an idea of how much I make from stalking me on here I suppose.

But in any case, as Mat says, salary != success, and the amount of whinging I do on here is more telling 🙂

thepurist

I've been unhappiest when I've been earning the most – a stupidly well paid job for a high end consultancy which I hated with every fibre of my being. That was the final straw in a series of 1 year jobs, all of which went sour – after 14 years in my first company. I left to set up my own business in an unrelated area, thinking that would give me some satisfaction. Unfortunately I then found out that I am terrible at working alone (and a few other things) so now I'm looking at changing tack again. 7 years out of my previous industry, a CV with 3 jobs in 3 years and a cr@p jobs market mean that going back isn't an option, so I'm applying to go back to uni – at 45.

So it sounds like I'm one of those people who'll never be happy with work – but the truth is that I'd never taken the time to think about what I'm actually interested in, what gave me job satisfaction and what aspects of work I'm less good at dealing with. Hopefully being more aware of that should give a better outcome this time around.

footflaps

I absolutely love my job and derive most of my sense of self from my achievements at work, although I realise that's not necessarily such a great thing as one ought to have balance in life. I would like more free time to do other stuff eg travel but it seems daft to quit such a good job when good jobs are pretty rare.

Surf-Mat – Member
    I think if I spread about how much I made, I'd be a cretinous, sad muppet that associates success with high salary levels.

Sorry but I really don't think it's on to post salaries (apart from obvious ones like Police/NHS/etc) on public forums.

Yet you seem to have no problem repeatedly banging on about your car which in my eyes is way beyond the reach of most folk.

I have no problem with you lauding it about your car by the way, it just seems slightly hypocritical.

I can't say I've seen anyone post any 'high' salary levels yet in any case.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I could have bought that car with some daft loan on the never never or for cash – a smart car does not mean a big salary. In fact since the age of silly credit, anyone can have a smart motor – a lot of extremely wealthy people I know have old and fairly ropey cars yet millions in the bank/in property/etc – none have flash watches either – just a yacht or two stashed quietly somewhere and a vast amount of property.

A big salary being mentioned does mean a big salary. Just not the done thing down in Cornwall. I know consultant doctors, I know trainee teachers, I know lawyers, I know cleaners, I know people out of work – no one ever mentions money.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I know consultant doctors, I know trainee teachers, I know lawyers, I know cleaners, I know people out of work – no one ever mentions money.

you only talk about money if you are a middle class social climber. thankfully like yourself i don't know any (or rather i know a few but they are not known as friends)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MrSmith – I don't know you but I like you already!

aracer
    Free Member

no one ever mentions money.

But you keep bringing it up like it's a big thing.

If I'm not allowed to mention how much I or we earn, is it still OK to point out that our child tax credits will be unaffected by the changes in the budget?

molgrips
    Free Member

People give hints about how much they make by talking about their jobs and such. So we have a rough idea.

I'm pretty much as far removed from middle class as you could wish to be.

Brought up living in rented/council accomodation (I even lived in the estate that is the focal point of Dead Man's Shoes – for you Channel 4 film buffs out there). My parents are hippies and have worked as little as possible (it worked under Thatcher, but ironically they have earned a living under a Labour government).

I worked my way up from a YTS apprenticeship to a (reasonably) well paid job, staying with the same employer for 20 years and after eventually enduring countless years of bullshit, company politics and the sheer dread of enduring another day toeing the company line I dipped out.

I'm now making it work for myself and have never been happier – the fact that it comes with decent recompense isn't something I feel the need to shy away from and I'm certainly no overnight millionaire. I'd be quite happy to reveal my income if it were barely above the minimum wage. As it happens, I'm quite proud of the fact that currently I'm managing to make a go of it for myself with no help from anyone.

Surf-Mat – your list of associates seems quite elite with their 'stashed away' yachts, but fair play – you know someone who's unemployed.

There are different ways of being crass, it just seems my flagrant disregard for subtlety differs slightly from yours.

Jamie
    Free Member

molgrips:

I think if I spread about how much I made, some folk would get jealous and it'd be only a matter of time before someone made a snide personal remark in an argument…

After reading that I am fighting every atom of my being not to call you a complete ****……

….so I guess you are right.

It is ironic, given the banal stream of consciousness you spray over STW most days, you can actually find time to do any work though.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I make £6.24 an hour pushing trolleys round a carpark, sometimes on checkout, sometimes on shelf stacking. It doesn't define me. I don't care about it. just about scrape through and pay my bills on my 1 bed flat in North wales. I have lots of qualifications and skils.. but it'll have to do for now. I got plenty of bikey 🙂

things can always be worse. think about it.

grumm
    Free Member

If you feel comfortable talking about your salary then do, if you don't, don't – what's the big deal?

And molgrips how come you can't handle a few friendly 'quips' from a mate? Sounds like you have some kind of hang up about the issue.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Artist – fair comments.

Aracer – guess it just grates me how much people blather on about what they earn. If I meet someone who immediately launches into talking about their job and/or money, I walk away. IMO it's very weak and shouts of lacking anything else interesting to say.

One of the most interesting people I know is a Brazilian who works for the council doing gardening – been everywhere, amazing stories to tell, etc. One of the dullest people I know (and try not to know) is a lawyer who I'm sure earns well (he's very keen to let everyone know) but has nothing else to say.

Just hinting to the Molgrips and the MFs of this World that wittering on about money all the time switches the majority of people off. I'm actually providing a social awareness service 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips:
    I think if I spread about how much I made, some folk would get jealous and it'd be only a matter of time before someone made a snide personal remark in an argument…

After reading that I am fighting every atom of my being not to call you a complete ****……

….so I guess you are right.

We are discussing the subject at hand.

Just hinting to the Molgrips and the MFs of this World that wittering on about money all the time switches the majority of people off. I'm actually providing a social awareness service

Both of you – I've NEVER mentioned money ONCE on STW before this thread. So how the F am I wittering on about it?

You two are illustrating my point EXACTLY. This is precisely why no-one discusses money; we can't handle it as a society.

It is ironic, given the banal stream of consciousness you spray over STW most days, you can actually find time to do any work though.

Well thanks. So as I contribute to the forum you are sitting there sneering at my banality and what an all round unpleasant bloke I am.

F*cking marvellous. What a top notch bloke you are.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

TBH Mol, you are nowhere near mf when it comes to mentions of money but there are numerous hints. MF wins the prize hands down.

We can handle money dicussions as a society – if we choose to live a solitary life devoid of any friends. The Yanks love to talk about money – and for that reason, I'd rather live in Poland than California.

grumm
    Free Member

lol

Molgrips, you and Surf Mat seemingly have lots of hangups about money – not everyone does. No need to project your insecurities onto other people.

Being comfortable talking about it and going on about it endlessly as if it's the be-all and end-all are not the same thing.

molgrips
    Free Member

About as many hints from me as from you Mat! However I also moan about my lifestyle plenty, so I don't see how that's showing off in any way.

In my experience, Yanks don't throw it around all that much. But that could just be my in-laws – they are not typical Yanks* it must be said.

* actually they are not Yanks at all since they are from the Mid-West not New England.

molgrips
    Free Member

Grum – have I gone on about it endlessly? Seriously.. I don't want be a knob. Tell me if I have.

soulwood
    Free Member

"Every meal is a banquet every paycheck is a fortune, man I love <insert your job description>"

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

grum – no hang ups, I just think it can ruin many people that would otherwise be fine. A relative for example married someone who talks endlessly about money a while back (down to really fine detail) – now that relative does the same. A real shame IMO.

Anyway, haven't stamps gone up a lot recently?

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘How do you cope with work?’ is closed to new replies.