Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • How do STW'ers feel about workers going on strike?
  • BillyWhizz
    Free Member

The BA strike is coming up and it looks like they will be flying their 747 fleet as "cargo only" flights during the strike, and flying the 777's and A320's with "brought in staff". Other planes will remain grounded.

So how do you feel about people going on strike in this day and age? Should the pilots be flying cargo only flights or backing up their cabin crews? And should the airline be flying planes with "brought in" or "picket line crossing" cabin crews?

rootes1

pretty poor show all round. If BA don't move into the 21st century they will will go under..

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think that if the vote is legal then strikes, while generally undesirable, should be allowed to proceed. The strikers shouldn't be allowed to intimidate those who choose to work however, and I can't see why anyone else should be coming out in sympathy.

This particular case strike seems mental to me, and the Unite leadership are particularily disagreeable and with an agenda above and beyond the needs of their membership. It seems clear that BA need to do something to compete, and while I can see there are leadership failings in the company, reducing cabin staffing to levels already prevalent in the industry doesn't seem like an unreasonable step.

I was slightly surprised to hear the Labour leadership calling the strike deplorable – they might not like it or agree with it but that's too strong a term for something that's entirely legal. It's the sort of language you might have expected from the Tories, but shows how far Labour have strayed.

druidh
    Free Member

It's the workers prerogative to with-hold their labour to fight for better pay and conditions. I'm sure that when BA goes tits-up, they'll all be able to get other jobs giving them exactly what BA aren't.

Or maybe not.

mt
    Free Member

Ha ha look at the BA add to the left.

Don't have a problem with people going on strike as long as the reason is genuine.

rootes1

It's the workers prerogative to with-hold their labour to fight for better pay and conditions. I'm sure that when BA goes tits-up, they'll all be able to get other jobs giving them exactly what BA aren't.

Or maybe not.

erm not can't see any BA cabin crew accepting ryanair t&c's…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its usually a failing on both sides. It irritates me to blame the union leadership – huge vote in favour from the membership on this one. It seems to me its one of those " line in the sand" moments

Management are refusing to negotiate and must accept the blame for peeing of the workforce to this extent.

Good management with good employer/ employee relationships don't have strikes

Edric64
    Free Member

Sack the lot and give the jobs to people who really want them .Employees are a pain in the ass.B A are trying to run efficiently and make savings ,save a bit now or the whole company goes tits up later ? Which way do they want it.Then all their glorified bus conductors can go on the dole

hora
    Free Member

The Unions were born and grew as a truly beautiful thing back when people were pieces of shit to use and abuse.

Sadly, like bloated rockstars they forget where they came from and how to interact with others.

anagallis_arvensis

Surely to deny people the right to strike is wrong? Anyone has a right to strike and people have a right to not agree with it, but it doesnt make it wrong.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Employees are a pain in the ass

Surely this attitude sums up why unions still exist?

uplink
    Free Member

I like it when students go on strike

what are they hoping to do? bring the country to its knees?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Management must accept their share of the blame – this appears to be in part at least a provoked showdown. I bet it escalates to other parts of the business. 38 union activists being disciplined, offer withdrawn on the threat of strike, threats to sack all strikers,

It takes two to have a fight – look at Johm Lewis for an example of how to have good employee relationships.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have employed people who skived on sick pay whilst I struggled to keep a small business going.Now I don't bother and work alone

hora
    Free Member

what are they hoping to do? bring the country to its knees?

'Downing' (surely the wrong wording?) pints would cripple the entertainment industry 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Let me just say:

General Motors

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Bring back the workhouses.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Management must accept their share of the blame – this appears to be in part at least a provoked showdown.

If you are suggesting that BA provoked Unite by not unconditionally agreeing to all of their demands then you are correct.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nope – share of the blame – they have escalated it and made a settlement harder. Things like withdrawing the offer on the table that the workforce were about to vote on because of the threat of a strike that was in the future – that makes a settlement harder – that offer could have been a basis for settlement but by withdrawing it they basically said – no compromise – its our way or the highway.

The legal hoops mean a strike vote has to be long in advance and by giving notice of strikes it gives opportunity to negotiate. the management refused this opportunity.

If a large % of the workforce vote for something then they are pissed of with the management.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Edric64, sounds like your working alone is probably the best solution for all concerned. Well negotiated. Spectacularly good management on your part.

johnners
    Free Member

How do STW'ers feel about workers going on strike?

I'm fine with it.

How would STW'ers feel about their bosses making unilateral changes to their terms and conditions?

druidh
    Free Member

johnners – Member

How would STW'ers feel about their bosses making unilateral changes to their terms and conditions?

That would depend on whether or not those changes to T&Cs would mean I still had a job in a few months time.

hora
    Free Member

If TJ downed his leftism STW would be sucked into a Tory vortex.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some might consider moving to another job.

hora
    Free Member

If I downed tools on STW, STW would ascend into witty and interesting banter 😀

stucol
    Free Member

I'm on strike next Wednesday !

How will i feel whilst taking the road bike round the Isle of Bute ?

Better than work !

Until payday 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Is Bob Crow for real. Seriously?

spokebloke
    Free Member

Edric64, sounds like your working alone is probably the best solution for all concerned. Well negotiated. Spectacularly good management on your part.

I guess you've never employed the great British Public deadlylarcy?
    I'm with Edric.

zaskar
    Free Member

I find it annoying when I need to use their services but can understand where they are coming from.

I avoided BA in my flight to Rome in July and France in January in case they striked-annoying as Easyjet are naff and don't always use the same airports.

Ok Im annoyed but understand their plea. But are they not payed more than most airlines?

I don't know the true facts of why they are striking I have too much work as it is mmyself, so my comments are full of poop lol

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But are they not payed more than most airlines?

It's mainly LHR long haul cabin crew who are causing the hassle here. They ARE paid a lot more than almost anyone else in the industry.

hora
    Free Member

Ok Im annoyed but understand their plea. But are they not payed more than most airlines?

Can't they see that their employer is at the mercy of market forces? Unions seems to be all or nothing.

westkipper
    Free Member

I dont know why the BA staff are going on strike, and as its unlikely to affect me, dont really care, but in principle I'm definately in favour of the right to strike.
    One sad fact is that low levels of solidarity between workers actually makes full-blown strikes more likely as such things as work-to-rules, and 'doing the job properly' can't be enforced. Unions have no option other to call for the only act that will be respected.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lame.
    Lame.
    Lame. It's disappointing, even for you Flashy 🙁

Could your blogboys not suggest anything better to go forth and post today?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One sad fact is that low levels of solidarity between workers actually makes full-blown strikes more likely as such things as work-to-rules, and 'doing the job properly' can't be enforced. Unions have no option other to call for the only act that will be respected.

Good point!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could your blogboys not suggest anything better to go forth and post today?

Lame.
    Lame.
    Lame. It's disappointing, even for you Darcy

Why the **** do you persist in this? It's really rather dull.

My point was merely that some workers who disagree with a change to their working conditions might consider moving jobs. Is that a bad thing? No. It's called "choice". "Free will", if you will.

hora
    Free Member

No no no. You only move to another job after you have contributed to the decline of the company you work for. Then you spend a period on the dole watching your children learn from your **** up.

In the normal world, if you dont like your pay and conditions you look for a better job.

In the modern Unionist world you parasitically destroy your income/security because you are told to. If you dont you are threatened, bullied and victimised for standing out from your striking colleagues*.

Whereas I'm sure the Union Bosses are all on guaranted jobs or protection.

*The next time theres a strike down at Trafford council with Pickets attempting to block the honest and hard worker. I will AGAIN stop my bike and ask them if they are proud of themselves. I've received a mouthful twice before. Did I back down? No. I was even told (the last time) to 'mind my own business'. To which I replied I am a Trafford tax payer. Sad bullying ****.

epicsteve
    Free Member

It worries me when the union bosses include the likes of Charlie Whelan.

westkipper
    Free Member

The likes of Captainflashheart, should secretly enjoy some strikes;
    my union, The CWU, was on strike last year- It, and the workforce were successfully portrayed as the bad guys, and at the end of the day the negotiations ended in the union accepting huge pay cuts, massive increases to already unmanageable workloads, and lots of us being forced to leave the job voluntarily (without redundancy)

I hope you all don't complain when you get twenty junkmail leaflets with your 5pm mail delivery.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

You don't get paid if you go on strike. It's not an option that is taken lightly, particularly by those that are lower paid and more likely to mucked around by management. That's my general opinion about taking industrial action, I haven't really been following the BA dispute.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Come on Flashy, merely copying and pasting? You're struggling this evening. What your proposing is that employers can act with impunity because workers have a choice and can **** off each time the employer unilaterally decides to change contracted working conditions and or pay. Now, and follow this if you will, because you are struggling this evening, allowing employers to continually act this way in the knowledge that workers have to move if they don't like it always results in an advantage to the employers. This always happens. Workers have only one thing they can withdraw, and that is their labour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘How do STW'ers feel about workers going on strike?’ is closed to new replies.