Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • how do i remove this road cassette?
  • sadexpunk

bought these wheels from the bike radar ads. comes with 8 sp cassette, but i got a 9 i want to use. but ive never seen this type of cassette before.

better pic can be found on the top row if you put 'sachs cassette' in google images.

is it a job for LBS? but more importantly, am i f*cked for using normal 9 speed cassette now? have i bought a pup? :-/

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I can't answer your qustion, but did you pay £100 for them? That seems quite steep.

Kieran

Looks like a screw on freewheel, so i dont think you'll be able to upgrade to 9 speed.

Removal instrutions here;

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

sadexpunk

yup. dont know too much about roadie stuff, but thought hope hubs and mavic open pros were quality stuff. says theyre pretty much new too. had been looking at aksiums previously, but liked these better. have i been had? :-/

tonyg2003

Hi

You have a 8speed Sachs freewheel there. You can't fit a 9 speed cassette. Sorry you have bought a pup.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

yup. dont know too much aboout roadie stuff, but thought hope hubs and mavic open pros were quality stuff

They are, but the kit you have is quite old, for the money I would have looked at Planet X wheels.

Hope you get it sorted though.

sadexpunk

oh b*ll*cks. they look so nice too 🙁

how can i do that other than sell em on? :-/

BluePalomino
    Free Member

how can i do that other than sell em on? :-/

Put a singlespeed freewheel cog on there!

sadexpunk

nah, building a jake the snake up as a geared commuter.

are 9 speed cassettes of that type not freely available?

ho hum :-/

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I guess you need a 9spd freewheel?

THe ad said it had an 8spd "cassette" and was capable of taking a 9.

E-mail the seller and ask where to obtain a 9 speed.

If he can't advise you ask for a refund – he advertised it wrongly on two counts.

tonyg2003

Sorry nobody ever made a 9 speed freewheel. That's why everything moved to cassettes, to get the bearings further outboard and accept 9/10/11 gears. Otherwise you break axles (as I frequently did 🙁 )

If you can't get a refund then sell it as a fixie wheel.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

9 speed MTB size freewheels are available from Trek. Really they're for electric bikes but they'll fit. They're 13-32. So if you can live with that gear range, then you can keep those wheels.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Given they dont actually take cassettes and you bought on the basis that they did and they were advertised as such, i'd go back to the seller as they aren't going to be much use to you and ask for a refund if you return them at his expense.

sadexpunk

thanks a lot chaps. ive contacted him about this now, so ill just wait to see what he says.

cheers

crash_gav
    Free Member

RS10's on Merlin for good price, 95 posted for a nice, brand new shimano set up. Good luck with request.

rootes1

why not just stick with 8 speed?

sadexpunk

matey has apologised and said he'll refund no probs. seems a decent chap, so thanks for your help 🙂

those RS10s. looked into them before and seem to remember something about spares being hard to source. that right?

anything else around that price?

cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘how do i remove this road cassette?’ is closed to new replies.