Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How do I remove this freehub?
  • tthew

Your help is much appreciated.

It's branded as a Rockrider, (Decathlon) but presumably it'll be made by someone else. There is what looks like a spline way down in the middle of the hub, but that looks a bit too far away to be related. 10mm allen key is too small for that and 12mm won't fit through the hole in the hub.

Only the very outside shell rotates, the inner sleeve, which has 2 notches in it is fixed. I'm thinking that I could perhaps get somthing in those to unscrew it.

schmiken

11mm allen key – and they're a bugger to get hold of!

Randall
    Free Member

You'll need to undo the splined portion, just get the right sized key. Attempting to undo the two notches won't remove the complete body from the hub.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tthew

Brilliant, cheers. I'll take it to work tomorrow, might have one there otherwise I'm guessing e-bay is my friend.

KonaTC
    coatesy
    Free Member

11mm virtually unheard of at local toolshops, however, ask for a 7/16 long arm and they'll sell you one that measures 11mm for hell of a lot less than the Park item.

tthew

I've ordered one off e-bay in the end, it was cheaper than the Park one by a couple of quid, delivered. I tried the imperial route, but my set stopped a size below.

Cheers Kona TC and coatesy

russjp
    Free Member

Have you tried a 12mm from the non-drive side? I remember when working in a bike shop some freehub bolts undoing from otherside.

tthew

No, but I've not got that size either. I do hope not or it's going to get an expensive job! I'll have to get the bearing out to try it from that direction.

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep that definately comes off from the the NON driveside. 11 or 12mm usually, and very tight. Sometimes takes 2 people with an allen key in the vice. If you need a spare freehub, halo wheels usually use the same although there are a few variations on those freehubs, usually around 8! You can thank Mr Quando for that.

coatesy
    Free Member

I'll second the very tight comment, actually stripped the corners off one allen key removing one. Also tried the adaptor for a Trek/Bonty Freehub and split the 8mm key housing on another.

tthew

Surely if I put the allen key in a vice and turn the wheel that'll be plenty of leverage won't it? Cheers for the size advice, I'll make sure have the right 'un and don't just use the first size that grips a bit.

I don't think it's absolutely knacked, I'm hoping it can be cleaned and greased up, but I'd have been a bit stuck without that info if it needs replacing, ta Ziggy.

coatesy
    Free Member

Key in the vice, two of us on the wheel(turning the correct way)when the allen key rounded.They really can be that tight sometimes.

tthew

Blimy. I'd best tighten the spokes before I try and get it off!

tthew

Phew!

Expecting a load of huffing and puffing, effing and jeffing tonight as the allen key turned up a couple of days ago but it was so easy to remove I could have probably got it off with a big screwdriver poked through the hole!

Now to try and identify the replacement as there's no way it's coming apart for a re-lube……….

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've serviced a mats wheels which use DDG hubs that look very similar. However, if memory serves, there are two different designs. One has a nut (12mm) that unscrews from the non drive side and the freehub drops off. The other, you unscrew the freehub itself from the non drive side and it drops off. However, one means turning clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. Try it one way with a bt of force, then the other wide the same force, then the other way with a little more force, then back with a little more force. Build up like this until you feel something move!

Did it really take me 19 minutes to get around to typing that reply! Anyway, lots of inhouse hubs have similar looking freehubs. The DDG looks similar as does some specialized hubs. Maybe post a pic on here, particularly the threaded connection and see if anyone has seen similar.

tthew

Like I said, came off real easy. The hub design meant I had access from either side in the end. Thanks for the tip about the DDG hub, I've not managed to ID it so far, I'll have a search for that.

Yep, will prob post a pic tomorrow.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It looks like a Formula one. They make OEM hubs for pretty much everyone. There's generally two types of them. That's the one for cartridge bearings. Try a trek dealer as most of the Bonty branded hubs are actually Formula.

HTH!

tthew

This is what came off, I started another identification thread though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How do I remove this freehub?’ is closed to new replies.