Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How Do I Put Electrics Sockets And Lights In Back Of Van
  • grantway
    Free Member

As above How or where can you go to put electric sockets and Lights in the back of
    my van.
    Which will then become a van conversion to do more biking weekends.

What or how have done this or used.

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

look into installing a “Split Charge Relay”, a Leisure Battery, and then an Inverter.

also look for 12v LED strip lighting on eBay for your lighting direct from the battery.

You shouldnt really need much more than 500-600W inverter (I have a 400W which is fine for a couple of computers or charging a portable DVD player)

Budget around £100 for a 100Ah leisure battery, maybe £20 for the LED lighting strips, and I cant remember how much the split charge relay kit is, but I think eBay were about £40-50

MORE:

The split charge relay takes 12v power from your alternator while driving SO LONG as your car battery is fully charged. This 12v can then be connected directly to your leisure battery to drive it.

You can of course charge your lesiure battery while at home using a normal car battery charger.

The inverter converts 12vDC to 240vAC. Dont be tempted by too cheap and too low wattage a unit. Budget a good £50

5thElefant
    Free Member

Do you really need 240v?

I’d stick to 12v. 12v LED lighting is available (and very good). Most phones, laptops etc etc can be powered from a 12v source. Makes life a lot easier.

Junkyard
    Free Member

would avoid an inverter tbh unless you need to run a tv or something.
    What he said spare battery – cant flatten starter – and run some charge to it from the battery via split charger or one way diode thingy. – you need to be sure of the ampage to use the correct width cable for the task especially the charging one
    Wire up whatever you need to this battery LEd lights are good and use cigarette lighter type sockets
    Calculate the correct thickness of wire required carefully
    http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php
    EDIT: you can get 12 v everything tv fridges wahtever but onc eyou have paid the price for this you are probably better off just getting an inverter and using normal stuff to do the job tbh

grantway
    Free Member

Hi Yea Stoner has done the right thing being you dont have to be in a place to get electrical power
    and means I can park anywhere and have power.

Bang on Stoner did you do the electrical connections yourself ?
    Thanks for links too Fella.

Do I need an MCB?

Yep will be using my Portable TV/DVD and Laptop.

Stoner
    Free Member

its all pretty easy, but the charge cable from the alternator supply does have to be very hefty as JY says up there ^ – those ebay sellers usually have very good DIY guides covering all that as well as loads of other van/camper/boat/mobilehome forums and blogs
    http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/workshop/battery.htm

You may not really need a 100Ah batter either, depends on the power draw and how long between charges you expect to need.

I wouldnt bother with the MCB, the inverter should cover that.

I only have an MCB for where 240AC comes into the van during hookup.

grantway
    Free Member

OK looking at it I could use 12volt no problem But prefer to use 240volt 3 pin plugs.
    Thanks for the links
    Any idea where to get LED strip lights i can put into the ceiling and connect to mains wiring.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hijack:

5thElefant, you have no email in your profile.. I wanted to ask you something camera related, can you drop me a line? My email is in my profile.

As you were lads.

Stoner
    Free Member

Theres no real point powering the LED strips from 240v. Since you;ll have a 12v source already in the van just connect to that. Otherwise you’re getting losses converting from 12v to 240v and back again. You would also need a 240v-12v transformer right after your 12v-240v inverter which is nuts.

grantway
    Free Member

OK Stoner cheers for the pointers
    Do you have any pics of what sockets etc you put into your van?
    And what was the overall cost for parts and installation, just to give me an idea.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of these for awning duties (two awnings, they’re seriously bright).

grantway
    Free Member

Cool has I was buying a drive away awning too what did you go for?

Junkyard
    Free Member

12 v – 240 – 12 volt just wastes the electricity.
    240 is far more dangerous in the van in general
    I would speak to someone tbh as you dont sound like you know much about electrics [ no offence meant] but better to be safe than sorry as there are risks if you do it poorly.
    Price about £100-£200 quid
    Relay £50
    Battery £50- whatver you want to pay
    Cabbling £40
    Fuses £10
    Inverter £30 +
    12 volt cigarette style sockets are the best to use as all 12 v stuff comes with this as a plug. if you use anything else you will keep taking cigarette lighter males off to change to your plugs IME.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Mine is a pull-out awning.

Another led option are these. I’ve got 4 singles and a double in my camper. Just the double is more than enough (2W bulbs). A bit more hassle to fit as you’d need housings.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just spent the afternoon fitting some of these to my son’s VW T4

Very neat and only 130mA current draw per lamp.
    I’ve still got the leisure battery, fuses and inverter to fit but can anyone explain the pros and cons of fitting a blocking diode rather than a charging relay?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The relay always charges the starter first and the leisure second a diode does not split the charge but stops the leisure drawing power from the starter. Think they go on the starter battery actually mm not sure but electricty can only flow one way- I used a manual switch tbh as this was standard on boats.

grantway
    Free Member

No offence taken Junkyard all advice welcome would have no problem installing just the final connect

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How Do I Put Electrics Sockets And Lights In Back Of Van’ is closed to new replies.