Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • How do I convince my wife not to get a wood burning stove
  • T1000
    Free Member

tell her that woodburners are next as the environmental antichrist as soon a folks get fedup with beating up VW

loads of them seem to make more smoke than a WW1 battleship, stinky horrible things especially in buildup areas

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

loads of them seem to make more smoke than a WW1 battleship, stinky horrible things especially in buildup areas

Does a ‘buildup’ area make smoke stink more than usual?.

footflaps

I quite like the smell of wood smoke on a cold damp evening……

trail_rat
    Free Member

a wood stove used right with well seasoned wood should only smoke on two occasions …. on start up and shut down…..

a wood stove being slumbered or burning wet wood will smoke like a rubber factory fire…..

whatgoesup

She might object to the smell of the bucket of Diesel you’ll need to keep in the living room in case of a fire ?

DrP

Jar.
    A jar of diesel. Filled to the brim.
    Safety first… 😉

DrP

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Agreed, but, it’s not as good as napalm in the morning.

footflaps

Napalm also gets up to heat much quicker than a wood burner….

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The big problem here is a wife with a mind of her own.
    I tend to keep permission to speak down to a minimum.

Trekster

footflaps – Member

My asthmatic lungs dont.tis that time of year when on the way home from work or on a night ride I could empty an inhaler 🙄

However MrsT had her way and got one installed last winter, quite toasty 🙂

Rugs on the floor, a few cushions, wine, proseco etc……… 😉

Rockplough
    Free Member

Rugs on the floor, a few cushions, wine, proseco etc

Yes, that was a benefit I didn’t anticipate. 8)

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yes, that was a benefit I didn’t anticipate.

I have heard a story from an A&E doctor of a gentleman who suffered some nasty burns to his derriere after rolling over too enthusiastically during a hearthside wrestling match. Practice safe sex, use a fireguard!

Leku
    Free Member

If your house is only 25 years old then the chimney may not have a class one flue. Lining it may be an issue too.

johndoh
    Free Member

If your house is only 25 years old then the chimney may not have a class one flue. Lining it may be an issue too.

At that age they often have clay pot lined chimneys – I know ours does ((29 years old) which work with log burners (or at least so I was told by our LLBSS just two days ago). Hoping to get ours in for the winter 🙂

whatgoesup

Dammit you’re right DrP, that could be a risk. I’ve sorted out a jar.

It’s right next to be bucket just in case.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“Good excuse to buy an axe and a chainsaw, everyone needs a good axe and a chainsaw”

That will stop her moaning . But you’ll have to find some other way of getting rid of the body parts as you can’t burn them on a radiator.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do you really want to look out onto a scene like this? Tread carefully. It’s addictive.

vickypea
    Free Member

We got rid of the one we inherited when we bought our house. Burning trees innit?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

a jar! who keeps diesel in a jar? you keep it in an old washing up bottle for easy squirting

Sandwich

[quotea jar! who keeps diesel in a jar?[/quote]

I do for chain cleaning. Don’t throw chain cleaning diesel on a fire though, oily marks on the floor that won’t come out without more diesel.

Edukator
    Free Member

The place in France with that many drapeaux tricolores is FN headquarters in Nice.

The alternative is insulation.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How do I convince my wife not to get a wood burning stove’ is closed to new replies.