Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • How do I convince my wife not to get a wood burning stove
  • kimbers

so weve been in our house for a few months

still got to decorate the living room

got rid of the nasty gas fire, there I am primed with the sledge hammer ready to get rid of the fireplace and surround (25 year old house, it ant no classic feature)

but no, shes been sucked in by all the poncy hipster magazines

what can I do?

Pook

Divorce.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Good excuse to buy an axe and a chainsaw, everyone needs a good axe and a chainsaw.

SaxonRider

I can think of few better predicaments. 😀

johnhe

Just get it. You will get 100 smart replies on here from blokes, but deep down, we all know there is no replacement for keeping wifey happy.

ads678

Just tell her how much it will cost and then send her out to buy some Jimmy Choo’s!!

Stoner
    Free Member

by her a pink chainsaw and point out where the fuel is coming from….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Amount of dust in house, spiders in the logs, inefficient, who is going to light it/clean it

They are great btw but if you want some negatives ….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sit her down and explain the modern world of electricity and gas central heating to her. Honestly the last hundred years or so have seen great advances in home heating.

trail_rat
    Free Member

show her the cost of getting someone to install it…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

show her the cost of getting someone to install it…..

Sandwich

Just in case she doesn’t get it the first time, trail_rat?

Drac

You come on here asking about not installing a log burner?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

what can I do?

Find out the most expensive local installers, and get someone in to quote for installation of their ponciest stove.

It’s amazing how many stoves you might find you don’t want if they have a £5k price tag.

Disclaimer: I have owned multiple stoves and liked them, but they’re absurdly expensive for a metal/glass box attached to a tube poking up through the roof.

-alternatively-

get the woodburner
    get an audi S4 on finance
    grow a daft beard
    retrain as IT middle management

trail_rat
    Free Member

just to make sure she really doesnt want it 😀

zilog6128

still got to decorate the living room

Just wait until she tells you how much the curtains are going to cost…

Rockplough
    Free Member

From experience, nothing. Just knuckle down, do your research, and console yourself with thoughts of Christmas by firelight.

And in your weaker moments counter any future spending requests with ‘Well we could have done but spent £xk on that stove’.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I tried and failed this 2 or 3 years ago. Wife won, we got the stove. I do like it now but our house is 100+ years old and cold as **** in the winter. Value wise it’s a total joke though, that kiln-dried wood isn’t cheap.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that kiln-dried wood isn’t cheap. is a waste of money unless you keep it in your hermetically sealed vacumn woodstore…..

vintagewino
    Free Member

we keep it in the house! only buying a couple of bags at a time these days.

amedias
    Free Member

Sit her down and explain the modern world of electricity and gas central heating to her. Honestly the last hundred years or so have seen great advances in home heating.

Oh yes I do like coming in on cold winter evening to cuddle up with the wife around the radiator and watch it warm up, giving off those little air distortions and listening to the pipes expand, adds a great atmosphere to a room!

nickdavies

Point out to her in order to keep up the hipster image, you’ll have to grow a hipster beard with those handle bar moustache things and shave your legs. That should sort it.

Dickyboy

Get a load of uncut wood, hand saw & axe, tell her she can have the stove it she cuts/chops the wood*

*wouldn’t work with my gf as she likes sawing wood 😀 but we don’t have a log burner 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

How do I convince my wife not to get a wood burning stove

Just point out she’ll have to clean it out every day/other day. Along with all her washing up/ironing/cleaning the bog/making the bed/getting the kids ready/cooking blah-di-blah duties…

That ought to kill it dead, you too probs.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Get a load of uncut wood,

Meanwhile, at stoner’s pad…

epicyclo

Send her on a wood chopping course. Tell her it is ideal for weight control etc.

Then behave and keep your mouth shut about the stove.

Because she’ll be real handy with an axe.

perchypanther
    Free Member

How do I convince my wife not to get a wood burning stove

Let her sit on one for an hour. They’re probably not as comfy as she imagines.

convert

Are you an actual real man? Fire….wood…burning stuff – this is what men do. This is the zenith of man stuff. Men should be persuading women they NEED a stove, not the other way around.

Agreed there are some over hipster stoves worth a gazillion that are taking the piss but embrace your wife’s pyromanic tendencies!

Rubber_Buccaneer

This advice is not universal, certainly not applicable to spin dryers.

finishthat
    Free Member

Watch this over and over again until it sinks in 😆

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI[/video]

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

there are some over hipster stoves worth costing a gazillion

FTFY, etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

This advice is not universal, certainly not applicable to spin dryers.

…or plumbers. 😐

footflaps

You come on here asking about not installing a log burner?

Shouldn’t he be banned for a few years?

DrP

Burn him.
    Or not, i suppose.

DrP

Drac

Footflaps, you’re right he really should be.

we keep it in the house! only buying a couple of bags at a time these days.

You buy dry kiln dried wood in small amounts and wonder why it’s expensive!

grahamt1980

Why would you not want one?
    Let her have a stove, its not as if you don’t get away with lots too

trail_rat
    Free Member

I found it a bugger dragging my last two bags into the house……

Moses

tell her how polluting and stinky they are. My pet hate in cities, where on winter evenings you can’t tell whether you’re in a trendy part of town or a campsite, judging by the smell and ashfall.

DrP

I think log burners are like a lovely piece of art.
    Yes, you could paint your walls with Wickes Emulsion and get better coverage for your money, but art is, well, art.
    A log burner may not be as efficient as a new combi boiler, but it’s just a nice ‘superfluous item’ that is nice. And nice things are nice, I reckon.

DrP

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Why not up the poncy hipster stakes and buy a yurt to go with it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How do I convince my wife not to get a wood burning stove’ is closed to new replies.