Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How do I add another monitor to a Mac Pro?
  • JCornford

I’ve been working off a mac book pro laptop with a secondary monitor for a while, but as my has just left I have pinched his mac book pro tower with a much larger monitor, but I prefer working from 2 screens. The problem is there is only one port on the back of the mac, does anyone know if I can hook up 2?

I have tried using my old Toshiba Dynadock docking station, it detects the keyboard, but not the second monitor (usb output to usb on the back of the mac), any ideas?

carbon337
    Free Member

Read this – it may give you an answer – i got half way through and got bored.

Macrumours Forum

joemarshall
    Free Member

Assuming by mac book pro tower, you mean a mac pro (big box, not a laptop), ignore the link above, it’s about a completely different thing.

You need either an extra graphics card, or a dual head cable for the existing card. It depends what card you have. Probably, it being a mac pro, you need an extra card – everything with them is done in the most expensive way possible.

Probably cost you 50-100 quid, depending on what you get. Make sure whatever you get is mac compatible (and listed as working with the exact model if mac you have.

JCornford

Ok cheers, yeah I meant Mac pro tower.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

As others have said, either a dual port graphics card or add another graphics card.

usb isnt an option, thats for connecting usb devices to the monitor, Im pretty sure you can get a monitor signal through usb.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How do I add another monitor to a Mac Pro?’ is closed to new replies.