Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Leonard Cohen – about to start on BBC 4 now
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Going to see him play at Manchester last year was the best gig I have even been to …

samuri
    Free Member

I’m a bloke so don’t get him. My wife is a big fan though. She has a stack of CD’s and posters and books and stuff.

I remember pointing out once that he can’t sing at all. That didn’t go down well.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Samurai, wrong, just wrong, you are wrong wrong wrong. wrong

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Great line up of music on bbc4 tonight

nickc

Has Leonard seen the experiences with depression thread?

samuri
    Free Member

He’s a good songwriter, I’ll give you that but he can’t sing. That’s not just my opinion.

Find a well known song of his and have a look to see who has sold more records with that song, him or someone else. It’ll always be someone else.

But you’re right that I’m just wrong generally. You’ll not find anyone disagreeing with that.

samuri
    Free Member

Has Leonard seen the experiences with depression thread?

I’ve not read the thread (it gets me down) but if I was going to commit suicide, I’d have Leonard playing while I did it to make sure I went through with it.

Here’s my guess, more people top themselves listening to Leonard than any other singer.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I remember hearing that Billie Holliday’s Gloomy Sunday is the most common song to commit suicide to.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Was happy when I downloaded a double cd of his – never listened to the end. Went to the fridge and got a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows …….

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

which CDs?

samuri
    Free Member

I’d heard that too but I think it’s an urban legend.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday

I suspect police forces will try and supress this information as a general rule. I’ve worked for a chap was a police photographer for a while who has placed this theory in my head. His job was mostly to take pictures of stiffs. He said that in most *home* suicides he attended (and this is in the 60’s and 70’s) there would be a Cohen record on the deck.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Did the Samaritans get prior warning of this concert? 🙂
    I do love Suzanne though!

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve no idea which CD’s, there’s quite a few.

I recognise the death of a ladies man cover because I can see he was a good looking bloke when he was younger. But that’s about it. I’m guessing we actually own, ‘all of them’

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No,i meant Davegr

samuri
    Free Member

Oh.

DaveGr
    Free Member

The essential Leonard Cohen Vol 1 & 2

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

THAT is Leonard Cohen ??? Well OK, the voice is the same…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

hmm… try songs from a room or new skin for the old ceremony, then go later

Sue_W
    Free Member

I don’t find him depressing – but do think his lyrics show an extrordinary grasp of the complexity of human emotions. When I saw him live he was actuly quite funny about his ‘depressing’ reputation, and even at 70 his voice was powerful enough to make your hairs stand on end at points.

Overall I thought he was poignant, ironic, heartfelt, sometimes sad and sometimes amusing, but above all great lyrics and an outstanding singer. For other reasons watching him play evokes bittersweet memories for me

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Unfortunately his later stuff sounds like Chris Rea

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I recall listening to him back in 1972 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can only remember Ernie – The fastest milkman in the west from then 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Leonard Cohen – about to start on BBC 4 now’ is closed to new replies.