Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • How clean?
  • If relaxing with a pint in front of a roaring fire whilst you freeze your tits off being anally retentive about your bike makes me cool, then **** yeah, I'm cool…….

fackit
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – I relax with beer n chips and still manage to keep my bike clean so how cool must I be…

How much do you enjoy your beer & chips though, with the nagging feeling in the back of your mind that without fail you have to go and meticulously clean your bike to within an inch of it's life – something that you've already proclaimed to be a PITA?

fackit
    Free Member

YAWN…

bighendo
    Free Member

mrmo ….
    *unless it is a hope bottom bracket unscrewing and trashing the threads on the frame! *
    Drive side?? me too.. them **** plastic spacers for 68 shells/10mm thread engagement.. ****!
    fortunate there was enough meat left to install an isis bb!!
    and yeah why the f*ck isn`t the drive side a self tightening L/H thread eh???
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

IainGillam
    Free Member

I didn't spend a shed load of cash on my bike… Hence it can stay dirty besides I don't have any facilities to clean it at uni anyway.

Iain

Zoolander
    Free Member

Gets used every day and gets cleaned once a week, usually after having fun On the weekend rides before it turns into the commuter again. Quite often though I just clean the important bits (drivetrain and forks) and leave the rest – just so those bits function better and last longer.

DrP

I lurve cleaning the bikes!
    Agree with the view that a clean bike is much more reliable in the long run, and a sparkly bike is just eye candy!

DrP

richmars

Bikes are like cars. They're designed to live outside therefore they don't need cleaning, apart from the mechanical bits.
    Anything else is unnatural.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I usually clean mine after each ride,only hose the worst of the mud off.Every 3/4 weeks give it a good clean.
    This frame is anodized so cant polish it.
    Used to polish my specialized when i had it,few coats of Collinite 476 wax after a good polish with some Menzerna final finish seems to last well.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I allways clean my bike after a ride then coat it with silicon spray(none round the discs though :D)Polishes up realy well and muck does't stick to it the next time i'm out on it.

nicolaisam – Member
    I usually clean mine after each ride,only hose the worst of the mud off.Every 3/4 weeks give it a good clean.
    This frame is anodized so cant polish it.

My '06 Enduro had a lovely deep metallic green anodized finish – it came up a treat after it had been washed and dried with a few squirts and a quick wipe of silicone spray. You know the stuff for fork stanchions, or a cheaper option – car dashboard shine.

adeward
    Free Member

i leave it for a couple of days until the mud dries,,, then wait until the dogs knock the bike over,,, and all the mud falls off and it's ready for the next weekend

epicyclo

When I build a bike everything gets a good polishing with whatever car wax I have handy.

Less muck sticks, and when it's hosed the rest just slides off.

I didn't spend a shed load of cash on my bike… to be carting around 2lbs of dried mud

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

This drives me mental! Working in a bike shop, I daily get people in with bikes that are held together with muck. Seized front mechs, stiff chain links, brakes that don't release, worn rims, seized headsets, seized nipples and shot drivetrains. Then they go berserk at ME for telling them it's humped? People that don't bother cleaning their bikes deserve everything they get!

Andituk
    Free Member

People always comment on how clean my bike is, but I think its just an easy colour to keep clean. It does get washed after every ride, but I just hose it down, cover it in loads of fenwicks then hose it off again. Costs me a fortune in Fenwicks but its relatively hassle free 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I just cleaned my bike.

Will do it again next month as well.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

My bikes are spotless, but then all I have been able to do for the last 6 months is look at them and clean them due to surgery.

Normall I hose um down and wipe the thick stuff off, and wipe the suspension seals, and thats it. I give um a good clean before each race and serivce the shocks but thats about it. Spoke never get cleaned.

atlaz
    Free Member

I keep mine cleanish but have no interest in "detailling" the bike. If it's clean and the stuff that needs to be lubed and running smoothly is, that's about as far as I care to go.

clunker

I look after mine and clean after every ride in the winter, first time yesterday that I have got away without a clean 8)

_tom_
    Free Member

Mine only really gets cleaned if it's caked with mud. If its just a bit dusty or whatever there's no point other than cleaning/re-lubing the chain.

RealMan
    Free Member

Cleaned mine like 4 times this week.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Post ride I wash the mud off. The drivetrain and forks get special attention but that's it. The biked only get prperly cleaned during their annual dismantling and rebuilding. I have neither time orinclination to worship them.

patentlywill
    Free Member

Hope Bottom Bracket stripped thread

mrmo – Member
    i don't polish the mtb, that is what road bikes are for, but it is kept clean. Lets you spot minor problems before they get serious, normally*

*unless it is a hope bottom bracket unscrewing and trashing the threads on the frame!

bighendo – Member
    mrmo ….
    *unless it is a hope bottom bracket unscrewing and trashing the threads on the frame! *
    Drive side?? me too.. them **** plastic spacers for 68 shells/10mm thread engagement.. ****!
    fortunate there was enough meat left to install an isis bb!!
    and yeah why the f*ck isn`t the drive side a self tightening L/H thread eh???
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I am one unhappy bunny – cleaning bike earlier this evening for HONC tomorrow (nervous about being surrounded by spangly clean bikes) and discovered that the drive side threaded collar was loose and stripped of thread – so I'll have to bail – but 3 mentions in one day suggests to me a design fault ??? I'll be asking the LBS to bend Hope's ears on Tuesday ….

crazy-legs

My bikes are generally kept reasonably clean but I'll often leave them with mud/dust on them for a while before getting round to doing anything about it though.

The problem is that when I start cleaning it I think "Oh yeah, I'll just do that bit" and "Oh, while I'm at it I may as well take the chain off" and before I know it the thing is in bits being polished…

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘How clean?’ is closed to new replies.