Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How can I MTFU?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

So I’m off to Morzine on Saturday morning, could do with a bit of advice. In my head, I know that my bike is capable of doing most of the jumps and drops that I come across, as long as I commit. My problem is in MTFUing enough to commit. Any tips please?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Pulls up chair..*

I too have this thought on an alarmingly regular basis..

So will be very interested to find out..

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

4 pints of strong lager before you go will make you a much better rider, just like drinking 3-4 pints before getting in your car

scaredypants

you can’t MTFU until somebody here tells you to

jedi

1st, its not about your bike being capable,it’s you.

relax and go with it

mrsflash
    Free Member

I have no idea, it’s my biggest riding problem.

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

If you have to ask on an interweb forum, you have zero chance of MingTFU 😉

TheDoog
    Free Member

Laugh at me relentlessly but MTFU is another acronym i’ve not heard!! I’m guessing then that you want to be able to react instantly cos your not gonna be hanging around all day working up the courage???

Marmite
    Free Member

Man The F*** Up……..

For those of you than dont know.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I find my confidence waxing and waining – somedays good somedays bad – I think that practice on easy, mid and mard stuff helps rather than going for the biggy as if you are like be the brakes go on and game over. so try small then medium drops or doubles etc? I amd gradually MTFU recently after a big accident last year – taken me long enough !

TheDoog
    Free Member

Ah had an incling it was something along those lines. Is hitting a big drop screaming “sh********t” and riding off with a big grin MTFUing?? I think commiting depends entirely on where your self preservation switch is set to. I would never do anything i thought i couldn’t. I’d have a bash if i was half sure. But you’ve more chance of stacking if you think its gonna end badly when you do it.

glenp
    Free Member

Confidence and commitment are part of our skills “system” – but they cannot exist or be thought of in isolation. We practice physical skills and think about how that process informs our confidence and gives us control (by which we mean emotional/mind control).

Bit late if you’re off so soon, but I think you’d benefit from a decent skills session.

I’ll just throw in a freebie tip though – strive all the time to extend the reach of your looking – look through the section, not down into the middle of it.

Richyb
    Free Member

My advice would be to “go with the bike”, ie don’t think too much about having to pull up or rag the bike in anyway. Someone has made the drop/jump to be rideable and flow, all you need to worry about is enough speed. Get the speed, set the bike up straight relax and just go with it. Once you’ve nailed a couple, you’ll have the confidence for more.

tinsy
    Free Member

jedi has it, dont worry about pushing yourself too hard, scaring yourself would be counter productive, do what you can do & enjoy yourself.

I am loads faster when I am not going 100% and messing it all up.

Slow down to go faster.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Finally I get to use it, it took me a good 10 mins to make…

My honest advice is to just go for it, dont try to power through everything but try not to brake when you normally would.

timber

ha ha ‘delicous fruit punch flavour’

how manly

xc-steve
    Free Member

About 5 years ago I popped my Morzine cherry, prior to this I was your traditional JayBoy scared of most things which involved my wheels leaving the ground (sadly i’ve reverted back to this state now).

What I found was that because the trails there are so much different to what you ride here, your kinda forced into doing stuff which you don’t think twice about doing, but if you came across them in the UK you’d skid to a grinding holt!

The jumps and drops are far more open so are less scary in a way. And your special bar (think tony hawk computer game) will be pumped from riding such cool tracks you’ll be wanting to jump off as many things as possible. Also the tracks are all so much steeper there you won’t get a chance to bail since your breaks will have boiled!

Also make sure you drink MONSTER ENERGY…

jedi

try not to push yourself everytime you ride.relax and flow with the trail

foxyrider
    Free Member

Couldn’t resist coffeemaking! Bit bored today! In my coffee break 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nice one foxy, that’s excellent!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers and you coffee (mutual appreciation – love it 😉 )

grumm
    Free Member

I think you’ll adjust to the general level of riding and just get on with it. At least that’s what I am hoping having signed up to do Megavalanche on my first trip to the Alps biking. 😛

solamanda
    Free Member

Be aware of your limit, you will progress alot riding in the alps but don’t fall into the trap. The number of times I’ve witnessed riders with poor riding skills in one area (eg: jumps, drops etc) try something well beyond the current ability and breaking themselves is daft.

Personally I ride the alps for the trails, not the stunts. As in general their stunts are badly made and often dangerous. I won’t try anything bigger than I’d do at home as there is lots of well built stuff like that in the UK.

zaskar
    Free Member

You can do it-just look where you want to go and go for it.

You wouldn’t be going if you couldn’t and you’re just nervous.

Thinking of crashing and you will. Thinking of having a blast and you will!

Your choice-what would you tell a mate asking you?

RHSno2
    Free Member

Who wants to ride stunts when the trails are so good?

jimmy

think rationally. if it CAN be done, YOU can do it.

Bunnyhop

Well Kramer you’re more of a man than I’ll ever be!

pitduck
    Free Member

have you tried growing a moustache?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How can I MTFU?’ is closed to new replies.