Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How best to sell an S-Max?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Considering taking up a company car – which would mean parting company with the trusty and very versatile Ford S-Max.

Problem is, when last spoke to the local Ford dealers (about a trade in) they were royally taking the mick. the main dealers seem to be operating on a 100% mark-up on the S-max at the mo. Forecourt secondhand proces are alomost double trade offers 👿

Have considered ebay, but whilst that may be good for a banger, I’d consider it pretty risky …

Have used Autotrader in past – unsuccesfully, ject get overwhelmed with spam.

Any idea of what works?

nickf
    Free Member

Autotrader always works for me, though might take a few weeks to shift if it’s unusual spec, high-priced/almost new (people in this market tend to go for dealers) or on finance.

midlifecrashes

I’m currently looking for a nearly new one, and yes, some prices are silly, but I think screen prices at dealers are too high and have lots of haggle room too. Ford’s list prices are hurting them in the fleet market as they sell for less but users get taxed on the list price. Autotrader does work, as do the classifieds on here.

Go on then, tell us about the car.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Autotrader and Ebay have the most visibility for classifieds sales and have worked for me in the past (though I accept the Autotrader spam comment) – if it doesn’t go in a couple of weeks the market is either slow or the price is too high.

Any other route (dealer trade-in, WBAC etc – even a car auction) and you will take a hit on the price but with less overall hastle.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What are the basic details and price rkk01?

TheGingerOne

I’d look at the British Car Auctions Sure Sell thingy – think it gets recommended regularly in the Motoring section of the Saturday Daily telegraph

BCA Auctions

rkk01
    Free Member

😳 Wouldn’t want to flout forum rules – so would post on classifieds when ready to sell… (would need for a few weeks etc). Would prob look to sell in Oct if I go for a company car.

Registered Jan 2007, 56 plate. 1.8 TDci, 72k miles. Serviced, MOT until Feb IIRC. Goes well for a 1.8, 45-50 or so mpg
    New disks, pads and tyres for this year’s MoT

5lab

either sure sell or you can try webuyanycar. they will knock you down then they turn up, but if you’re not despirate to sell it to a date, its probably worth a go with WBAC before going down the sure sell route

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Price, I’ve a C-max, but could be tempted by an even bigger diesel.

Moses

You could at least tell us how much you want for it..

tonyg2003

Generally going into a dealership and asking them “how much for my car to trade in” without another purchase marks you out as a desperate seller (sadly part of the times) and they will pitch low. Try doing the same but making noises about buying another newer car – play the game – see what they say then.

Autotrader – or a S-max forum? may be your best bet. Get it cleaned, nicely presented (wheels sorted, paint chips sorted etc…) and some good photos. A bit of effort but very worthwhile.

Mantastic
    Free Member

email me when your ready to sell, I would be V interested

bristolbiker
    Free Member

<shameless butting-in>

If the OP’s S-Max is too big, I have an 06 Focus Estate about to go onto Autotrader. 1.6 16v petrol, Zetec climate-pack with electric sunroof spec.

</shameless butting-in>

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Of course dealers have to allow for 20% VAT when they sell so that will explain (to an extent) the huge difference between trade-in and forecourt prices.

<shameless butting-in>

And I have a 4.8yr old Mazda 3 Sport 2.0l petrol hatchback, 32k miles for sale 😉

</shameless butting-in>

rkk01
    Free Member

Didn’t think there was VAT on 2nd hand cars? – that’s one thing dealers cite for instant depreciation on new cars….

As for price? Local BMW dealer offered 7-8k against a 3 series. Need to check what real world value is…!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Didn’t think there was VAT on 2nd hand cars? – that’s one thing dealers cite for instant depreciation on new cars….

I always thought there was – could be wrong mind you. Saying that you often see second hand vans with a price + VAT (I think)!!!

There are two ways in which motor dealers handle VAT on used vehicles. Some charge VAT only on the profit they make on the sale of the car. This is known as the second-hand margin scheme, used by most car dealers.
    Alternatively, they can charge VAT on the total transaction cost – that is the second-hand selling price achieved. It depends on how they choose to keep their records.
    The second-hand margin scheme requires more paperwork-from the dealer. He must, for example, keep the relevant stock books which include details such as the car’s engine number.
    Each method of charging VAT is legal, and HMRC is concerned only that the dealer tells them which scheme he is using.
    There is no obligation for the dealer to tell the customer at the outset which method of charging VAT will be used. Nor is there a legal right for the customer to know, or be told, how much of the price comprises VAT.
    Yet as VAT on the full purchase price is likely to be rather more than VAT on the dealer’s profit on the transaction, it seems to me worth asking which method of charging VAT a car dealer uses before deciding to buy.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Not on cars, there is on commercials

geoffj

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrY7AgcrqA[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

nmdbase – Member
    Not on cars, there is on commercials

Not according to HMRC

andydicko
    Free Member

If the car was originally privately owned (no VAT ever claimed on the car) then VAT isd chargable on the profit (margin) of the car, i.e. if its bought by a dealer for £1000 and sold for £2000 then the £1000 profit is subject to VAT.

If the car was originally company owned i.e. VAT has been claimed back, or its a VAN, then VAT is chargable on the full amount.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The dealer will either pay VAT on the profit margin or claim back the VAT on what they buy the car for then pay VAT on what they sell it for, both ways end up in exactly the same place.

Buying a comercial vehicle is different as the owner probably claims back the VAT so when they come to sell it again it’ll either to go someone else VAT registered (i.e. no VAT will end up being paid) or to a private individual who’ll have to pay the VAT on it.

Pauly

Excellent soft sell skills from rkk01 on this thread.

Chapeau.

rkk01
    Free Member

Excellent soft sell skills from rkk01 on this thread.

Hah – Haven’t got my head around whether to get a company car or not, just yet.

Financially it seems fairly finely balanced: loss of cashflow from monthly allowance and tax would be a big monthly hit vs not having money tied up in car + depreciation + running costs…

… but, the idea of getting stiffed from a dealer on the make doesn’t help with the decision making.

Looking around at the weekend suggests that the car would be worth about £8k max – probably a shade under 😕

chrissyboy
    Free Member

‘stiffed by a dealer on the make’???

Not really sure where you’re coming from with this. What dealer would want to buy your shonky high mileage old S Max?? Problem you have is that there’s loads about, any dealer still in business these days has got to try to make a profit – not always easy when they’ll stick it through their workshop, get raped for discs and pads allround, MOT, etc,etc and then have to put a warranty on it before they sell it.

Sell it privately (or stick it in an auction), you won’t get forecourt prices – but you won’t get forecourt prices anywhere. And that’s because you won’t sell it serviced, with a warranty, etc.

totalshell

NO dealer is going to buy a car with 72k on the clock to resell.. simple as.. when a car is taken as a ‘trade in’ the vehicle is usually bought on contract by a third party the dealer effectively acting as a go between.

they dont want your 4 yr old 72k ford.. and at 8k no one else will ask 6.5 settel for high 5 and your ll have done okay
    a quick check on eblag has plenty of 07 cars ( yours will have been built in 06) with extras etc with circa 50k for 7-7.25k

rkk01
    Free Member

🙄

Just to respond to the previous 2 posts….

The local Ford dealer HAD CONTACTED ME to see if I wanted to sell back to them – they had a demand for used S-Max…. (ETA – I know I didn’t specifiy this above)

I’ve got a good enough idea what the car is worth – both to sell (trade or private) and to me for continued use.

As I’ve posted above, I have absolutely no problem with dealers making a profit on trade ins and am absolutely realistic about what to expect as a trade value.

IMHO though, a 100% mark up is ripping the piss

chrissyboy
    Free Member

“The local Ford dealer HAD CONTACTED ME to see if I wanted to sell back to them – they had a demand for used S-Max…. (ETA – I know I didn’t specifiy this above)” 😛

Errm – no he didn’t. What he actually contacted you for is to get you into the showroom to see if he could sell you something else. He’s got no demand for cars over 50k miles – cost him too much to recondition. You don’t still believe in Santa Claus do you? 😆 Dealers have only one way of generating business without waiting for people to walk through their door, and that’s to hit the phones. What better reason to ring you??

“I’ve got a good enough idea what the car is worth – both to sell (trade or private) and to me for continued use.” 😥

I’d say no again. You’ve got an idea of what you’d like for it – that’s completely different to what it’s worth.

**edited with smileys to help the bitter pill go down – there, that’s better**

midlifecrashes

Well, we finally got round to buying one on Saturday, collect tomorrow. Nine month old, 60 reg, facelift model, Zetec diesel 140PS, 1359 miles. And for that reason, I’m out…

…but if you do go for the company car and are then sitting on a set of proper S-Max roof bars needing a home, I’ll give you a fair price.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Sorry for the hi jack but I’m just about to trade in our 56 plate s max and have some thule areo roof bars in really good condition if any one needs them ?Email in profile

midlifecrashes

Anyone know if the fixing points in the roof tracks are the same on the facelift model? I’ll ask at the dealership tomorrow I suppose. I’d rather use the fixed points than the clamp the bodywork style.

heresjonny
    Free Member

Sorry to jump on the wagon, I’ve just been offered a 54 plate C-Max 2.0 tdci with 58k from my bro-inlaw for £1800 with fsh, tax and MOT til May 12. Its a bit scratched and got a few small dents, I need a winter car, so I can garage the Corrado Storm over the winter. Does this seem like a good deal?

rkk01
    Free Member

Will now be selling the S-Max (Company car agreed)

Link to classifieds

More details (& pics) to follow – as time and daylight allow!

althepal

Wekas condsidered a while back upgrading from our focus to an S max, I thought they were quite sought after tbh.. Certainly folk seemed to be asking for a lot for them when selling privately..

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Company car agreed

You’ll regret that when your taxe notice comes through

rkk01
    Free Member

Sunny weather, so have managed to get some photies upload…

rkk01
    Free Member

ETA – and of course, the picture above was taken walking past the (not so local) London Mclaren showroom…!

Company car agreed

You’ll regret that when your taxe notice comes through

All part of the decision making….

Tax bill will be less than the loss of car allowance, but yes, together they are a substantial hit on monthly cashflow.

Decision made on the basis of not spending a similar amount of money, and interest, and being tied in to finance, on having “my own” car…

Horses for courses. 7-8 years ago I opted out of a company car because I couldn’t stomach paying the tax anymore.

rkk01
    Free Member

Now on ebay if of any interest…

Excellent mtb / family wagon

link

totalshell

as a selling aid get a years test put on the thing and 6 months tax get it valeted and the scuffs/ dents removed
    at the moment your asking over 5 grand for a 73k vehicle with a month left on the MOT

br
    Free Member

Get it MOT’d asap – otherwise folk will assume there is something wrong with it.

rkk01
    Free Member

Thanks – I realise that.
    Timing for selling it fell badly with the Christmas period…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How best to sell an S-Max?’ is closed to new replies.